Tab casting worked flawlessly before update, now it doesn't.
Yesterday I received my Chromecast and after set up I used it with many tabs and YouTube videos from my laptop, tablet, and phone.
Last night, the Chromecast updated. Now, I can't seem to cast a tab from my browser. Also, I can cast YouTube from my tablet and phone, but not from my chrome browser.
I have changed the power source from the USB brick to the USB port on my TV, nothing changed. Unplugged and plugged back the Chromecast itself, nothing changed. Even did a factory reset through the options, connected it back to my network, and still nothing changed.
I have a Cisco router connected to my university's Ethernet port in my dorm, but I don't think this is affecting the connection considering It was working fine yesterday.
- Tab casting worked yesterday, doesn't work now.
- YouTube casting works on phone & tablet apps, not on Chrome browser.
- Restarted router, re installed chrome browser, factory reset Chromecast. Nothing worked.
I was wondering if I shouldn't worry about this because it's still in Beta, but the fact that it worked perfectly fine yesterday is confusing me.
I posted this on the Chromecast subreddit (which I can't link to yet), just in case if someone has a similar problem and it's resolved, but not here.