[APP] Nexus S Fingerprint Scanner App For Ultimate Security

Search This thread

CB620

Jan 6, 2009
Is There A Way To Implement This Or Port It For The Nexus S? I Know Our Phone Doesnt Have The Reader On The Phone But Is It Possible To Substitute It With Something Else That Only We Can Unlock Our Phones With. I Saw The Video Earlier And Was Quite Impressed. What Do You Guys Think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFmIgNhg0M4

Blu3D

Jan 15, 2011
Gothenburg
Having a fingerprint scanner on a cellphone is just as stupid as having it on a computer, it's nothing but a security hazard, your fingerprints will be smeared all over your device and/or keyboard and it will be much easier to bypass than an ordinary password.

Now, apart from that, sure it'd be nice to show off with. But there's nothing that can do anything like it with the NS. One thing I did see though was using an NFC-card as a "key" for your phone.

CB620

Jan 6, 2009
Having a fingerprint scanner on a cellphone is just as stupid as having it on a computer, it's nothing but a security hazard, your fingerprints will be smeared all over your device and/or keyboard and it will be much easier to bypass than an ordinary password.

Now, apart from that, sure it'd be nice to show off with. But there's nothing that can do anything like it with the NS. One thing I did see though was using an NFC-card as a "key" for your phone.

That's your opinion but there is no way of it smearing on the atrix as you can see in the video. You smear more when you type on the nexus.

Sent From Your Mom's Nexus S.

kenvan19

Dec 7, 2010
I tend to agree with the opinion that Biometrics on a phone are just a little over the top and could lead to some problems. The idea that your print would be smeared all over the device, however, is just ludacris. The issues I see arising would be, for example, disabling the phone from being returned to you. Just as it prevents people who would use their phones maliciously it prevents people from trying to find the owner of a found device. I once worked at a movie theater and often we returned found cell phones by calling people on their speed dial and asking whomever picked up to inform the person whose number appeared on their caller id that there phone had been found.

Sent from my MattedBlues CM7 Google Nexus S!

Mr.Clark

Feb 15, 2006
Just a question, but given that the camera can also double up as a barcode reader, wouldn't it theoretically be possible for it to be able to take a good enough quality image of a finger so that it could determine it's uniqueness and therefore identity?

I'm not saying it's a reasonable security mechanism, but it would be pretty cool if it could be done...

robstunner

May 13, 2010
Chicagoland
I tend to agree with the opinion that Biometrics on a phone are just a little over the top and could lead to some problems. The idea that your print would be smeared all over the device, however, is just ludacris. The issues I see arising would be, for example, disabling the phone from being returned to you. Just as it prevents people who would use their phones maliciously it prevents people from trying to find the owner of a found device. I once worked at a movie theater and often we returned found cell phones by calling people on their speed dial and asking whomever picked up to inform the person whose number appeared on their caller id that there phone had been found.

Sent from my MattedBlues CM7 Google Nexus S!

The Atrix takes and records both your left and right index finger 3-8 times. So unless your a double amputee....

CB620

Jan 6, 2009
Yeah it would be a good idea

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA App

CB620

Jan 6, 2009
True. But its just a idea.

kenvan19

Dec 7, 2010
The Atrix takes and records both your left and right index finger 3-8 times. So unless your a double amputee....

I'm sorry but what does that have to do with other people being able to use your phone? The other issue would be in situations like my wife and I have; we have the same phone and often times I take her phone for the day in order to fix issues on her phone but if her phone required her fingerprint to unlock I couldn't do that. Or another example; I usually drive when we go places but most of our friends text/call me about plans and I often get emails and texts about work while we're driving and in both of these cases, I usually need to respond as soon as possible if not immediately. If my phone required my fingerprint to unlock it would add a very unnecessary step to the process of having her respond to these messages.

I'm not saying there are no uses for a fingerprint scanner; for example if you have a lot of sensitive information on your phone like a lawyer or a government official or a doctor or any other number of professions might then requiring your fingerprint to unlock makes sense. But for an average Joe user like me or many other users it just seems like a lot of cloak and dagger to protect my score in Paper Toss lol

CB620

Jan 6, 2009
I'm sorry but what does that have to do with other people being able to use your phone? The other issue would be in situations like my wife and I have; we have the same phone and often times I take her phone for the day in order to fix issues on her phone but if her phone required her fingerprint to unlock I couldn't do that. Or another example; I usually drive when we go places but most of our friends text/call me about plans and I often get emails and texts about work while we're driving and in both of these cases, I usually need to respond as soon as possible if not immediately. If my phone required my fingerprint to unlock it would add a very unnecessary step to the process of having her respond to these messages.

I'm not saying there are no uses for a fingerprint scanner; for example if you have a lot of sensitive information on your phone like a lawyer or a government official or a doctor or any other number of professions might then requiring your fingerprint to unlock makes sense. But for an average Joe user like me or many other users it just seems like a lot of cloak and dagger to protect my score in Paper Toss lol

You forgot Angry Birds.

robstunner

May 13, 2010
Chicagoland

Atrix requires a PIN in addition to both index fingers. So as long as you knew your wifes passcode you would be fine.

Sent from my atrix using tapatalk