finally 3g dongles work on nexus 7 with simple widget

Search This thread

kieso

Mar 18, 2009
i want 3g dongle support without rooting as i fear it nullifies the warranty

It won't nullify it. People returned their n7s rooted and customs Roms and received their replacements. You can always unroot and return to full stock. I doubt we will ever see official support for 3g dongles.

sert00

May 28, 2011
cesena,IT

you have a nexus man.no need to worries about that.google offer system images also for this,every nexus broken i heard of was changed in RMA without problems of custom roms\kernels\root

EDIT damn,in the ppp's app comment on googl play there's a comment by an italian who sad that k3765 web keys don't works.it's the same i own,from vodafone carrier (included in my dsl contract)but i never ever tried due to fact i haven't the usbOTG cable (ordered yesterday from ebay).i think that in many web key it's needed a little rework via putty (app for windows).i did this on my wb key tom have it working on transformer,and i think that being both asus tablets,and with this little work,many types of web key can works.curious to test it hen i receive my cable!

Last edited:

itsirfandude

Oct 2, 2012
Coimbatore
Nexus 7
Google Pixel 2
you have a nexus man.no need to worries about that.google offer system images also for this,every nexus broken i heard of was changed in RMA without problems of custom roms\kernels\root

I being a newbie can't get into the very much detailed technical terms mentioned by you
Can you pls elaborate
Thank you :)

---------- Post added at 08:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 PM ----------

It won't nullify it. People returned their n7s rooted and customs Roms and received their replacements. You can always unroot and return to full stock. I doubt we will ever see official support for 3g dongles.

Am from india and am getting one from usa thru a friend and if i happen to face a problem i fear of i having no ways of replacing it
Moreova desperately waiting fa the 32gigs version before the end of this month or else wont even get a nexus 7 as my friend ll be coming to india fa his vacation ...also i ve got no one to get me one from there even if i do av money to get one :(
Wish some one send it for me :p

sert00

May 28, 2011
cesena,IT
I being a newbie can't get into the very much detailed technical terms mentioned by you
Can you pls elaborate

---------- Post added at 08:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 PM ----------

/QUOTE]
yes,it's very simple man.RMA is the assistence centre in case of problems.with nexus image i refer to THIS.they are google's images for users who want to re-stock the tab to its natural conditions,or if you screwed the tab and want to do a clean install\format of all.it's praticaally the google standard firmwares for related version of nexus devices.with that you can always restore it with factory's state.there's more to read,do a simple search here or google,we are OT with that.

EDIT
if yu have a not-working key web,i suggest trying THIS,how explained from D and so on with the app putty for windows.pratically it deactivate the composite devices of the 3g dongle

Reactions: itsirfandude

psycho2097

Nov 1, 2010
Raleigh
Can you pls elaborate

Am from india and am getting one from usa thru a friend and if i happen to face a problem i fear of i having no ways of replacing it
Moreova desperately waiting fa the 32gigs version before the end of this month or else wont even get a nexus 7 as my friend ll be coming to india fa his vacation ...also i ve got no one to get me one from there even if i do av money to get one :(
Wish some one send it for me :p

I am from India too, got my N7 in August, I have been in the US since the last 2 years, moving back in Nov. Dont worry, Asus said they will honor N7 warranty in India. Plus N7 is launching in India in Nov for around 15k. So please dont commit sacrilege by not rooting a nexus. Its part of the Android commandments- "Thou shalt not use thine nexus unrooted."

Reactions: Vyom

LargePig

Mar 29, 2007
I tried this with a friend's huawei, can't remember which model but newer than mine and it worked fine. With my E160 it goes a bit nuts, won't detect a modem and doesn't work with manual settings.
Does anyone have an E160 working with their N7?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD app

LargePig

Mar 29, 2007
Got it, for anyone interested, sending the following at command to the modem port (use a computer to do this, use Google to find a utility for your OS, Hyper Terminal works on Windows) disables the built in SD card reader and the emulated CD ROM drive. Now it works in the N7 after a reboot.

at^u2diag=0

If you want to enable them again (and stop it working on the N7) it's

at^u2diag=255

I see that sert00 posted a link to this info already but it was a little buried in the post...

Last edited:

the0bserver

Sep 5, 2012
Köln
I can confirm that this works with my 3G/UMTS ZTE K4505, commonly found in Europe (I am using it with Vodafone.de). Only had to manually set the PIN and the APN. The wiget itself is a bit finnicky with my set up - Stickmount seems to interfere when the widget is looking for an open modem port and attempts to mount the inbuilt Micro-SD reader on the stick. I simply unmount all devices via Stickmount, remove PPP widget from my home screen and then re-add it. This seems to fix the problem, I am then able to connect.

Kudos to Josua!

Mechanio

Aug 19, 2012

If you ever need to use the warranty you can unroot, or if you are really worried you can even do a complete factory restore, and nobody can ever tell that you were rooted. The only time Google/Asus is going to care is if you use the warranty and say something is wrong with their hardware but it turns out it was actually something wrong in your software (which is why it's a usually good idea to do a factory restore before sending it in, rooted or not, because doing so eliminates that variable).

Taz145

Oct 19, 2012
PPP widget DOESN'T work with e3131 dongles. Can anyone confirm whether disabling the sd slot would solve the problem? (on the dongle, that is, not the tab)

itsirfandude

Oct 2, 2012
Coimbatore
Nexus 7
Google Pixel 2
I am from India too, got my N7 in August, I have been in the US since the last 2 years, moving back in Nov. Dont worry, Asus said they will honor N7 warranty in India. Plus N7 is launching in India in Nov for around 15k. So please dont commit sacrilege by not rooting a nexus. Its part of the Android commandments- "Thou shalt not use thine nexus unrooted."

Well:) i know but still its gonna cost significantly higher than the us price

Are u coming to india anytym soon ?

turronet

Sep 5, 2012
Pppwidget is working fine for me.
Can I share it? How I can create an hotspot?

Stock ROM and franco kernel.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Taz145

Oct 19, 2012
Pppwidget is working fine for me.
Can I share it? How I can create an hotspot?

Stock ROM and franco kernel.

You say that but you're wrong in my situation. The widget can't recognize a dongle with an SD card as a dongle. Someone has picked up on it here but there are no clear instructions unfortunately.

itenos

Jul 28, 2010
Bali
I tried this with a friend's huawei, can't remember which model but newer than mine and it worked fine. With my E160 it goes a bit nuts, won't detect a modem and doesn't work with manual settings.
Does anyone have an E160 working with their N7?

Working fine with my E160 here. Try to not use an internal microSD in it. Sometimes the widget just hangs, so remove and then re-add it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

mariolouis

Jan 10, 2005
Manila
PPP widget DOESN'T work with e3131 dongles. Can anyone confirm whether disabling the sd slot would solve the problem? (on the dongle, that is, not the tab)
Working fine with mine even if there's a memory card insterted. ZTE HSPA+ MF668A.
Try searching for "AT commands to disable automount of cdrom/removable media" specific to your dongle.
After that, upon inserting the dongle to your N7, it will still ask you if you wanted PPP Widget or stickmount to use. Choose "just once" and not "always". So you can use the dongle as a modem, or a removable drive anytime.

Last edited:

LargePig

Mar 29, 2007
Working fine with my E160 here. Try to not use an internal microSD in it. Sometimes the widget just hangs, so remove and then re-add it.

I got it working by disabling to CD drive and the SD reader with AT commands. Works flawlessly now but it didn't matter what I did before doing that, it just didn't work. Possibly different E160 firmware.

Reactions: jonhcox

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    i used this app to make my Huawei 3g dongles work on my nexus 7 and it is very simple just install the app and enter your apn of your operator connect your dongles via otg cable and it will work the app available on google play store called ppp widget here is the link it is for rooted device

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.draisberghof.pppwidget

If you ever need to use the warranty you can unroot, or if you are really worried you can even do a complete factory restore, and nobody can ever tell that you were rooted. The only time Google/Asus is going to care is if you use the warranty and say something is wrong with their hardware but it turns out it was actually something wrong in your software (which is why it's a usually good idea to do a factory restore before sending it in, rooted or not, because doing so eliminates that variable).
    Working fine with mine even if there's a memory card insterted. ZTE HSPA+ MF668A.
    Try searching for "AT commands to disable automount of cdrom/removable media" specific to your dongle.
    After that, upon inserting the dongle to your N7, it will still ask you if you wanted PPP Widget or stickmount to use. Choose "just once" and not "always". So you can use the dongle as a modem, or a removable drive anytime.
    even after establishing connection using the widget. i can't acess the internet.the browser says that wifi is offline and mobile data is turned off. i am using nexus 7 (rooted) and HUAWEI e173 plz help

If you're on Android 4.3 or lower PPP Widget 1.3.3 should work fine.

If you're on 4.4 Kitkat, the problem is with dns handling. Until we get a widget update, you can get limited connectivity one of two ways:
    - the wifi workaround (which is basically using a wifi network to change your tablet's dns address to a public dns server like google's 8.8.8.8)
    - or you can try using some type of mod.

Both are explained further here: http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modeswitch/bb/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1808

I'm using the CrossBreeder mod here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2113150
    Can you pls elaborate

/QUOTE]
    yes,it's very simple man.RMA is the assistence centre in case of problems.with nexus image i refer to THIS.they are google's images for users who want to re-stock the tab to its natural conditions,or if you screwed the tab and want to do a clean install\format of all.it's praticaally the google standard firmwares for related version of nexus devices.with that you can always restore it with factory's state.there's more to read,do a simple search here or google,we are OT with that.

EDIT
    if yu have a not-working key web,i suggest trying THIS,how explained from D and so on with the app putty for windows.pratically it deactivate the composite devices of the 3g dongle