Camera startup lag? (KK)

Search This thread

nirurin

Nov 25, 2012
Bristol
Hey everyone, I recently updated to KitKat on my phone, and I have noticed a strange issue.

When loading up the camera, whether in the default camera app or on a program such as snapchat, the following thing happens:

The menu buttons and the camera shutter button all appear as normal...
BUT the screen (the camera viewfinder) remains black, and everything freezes for a few seconds. Then the screen shows up the cameras image and everything starts to work as it should.

So it seems like the apps are asking for the camera, but the camera is taking a few seconds to actually boot up. Which is weird, right?

I'm not on a stock ROM, im on the RomAur 3.0 one, but as far as I can tell it is using the standard camera app, and noone else has had this problem. I cam from the previous version of RomAur and the camera in that didnt have any issues either.

Just wondering if this is some glitch or something is interfering? Any suggestions?

Thanks

nirurin

Nov 25, 2012
Bristol
strangely enough this worked, even though clearing the cache and reboots were all things I did since I installed the ROM anyway...

I must have done something in the interim. Silly of me. Seems to be working now anyway so thanks guys :)

raphoun

Feb 14, 2009
Paris
Hello guys,

I have the same problem, I did a factory reset which solved it.
But after some days it appears again, sometime it's working sometime not, it seems to be random...

UserX10

May 10, 2010
Hello guys,

I have the same problem, I did a factory reset which solved it.
But after some days it appears again, sometime it's working sometime not, it seems to be random...

Can confirm this.
Sometimes the camera app is working fine and sometimes it takes several seconds to start and it is laggy... :-/

jonmorris

Apr 22, 2012
Hatfield, UK
www.jmcomms.com
If it lags, but starts okay, rebooting does fix it. No idea what causes it, but it's only done it twice so far.

The far bigger problem is trying to start the camera when it was locked, when there's every chance the camera will freeze and not take or save your picture.

Unlock first then start the camera and all should be fine.

gadgetgaz

Aug 20, 2007
Yorkshire
webandITstudio.com
Hey everyone, I recently updated to KitKat on my phone, and I have noticed a strange issue.

When loading up the camera, whether in the default camera app or on a program such as snapchat, the following thing happens:

The menu buttons and the camera shutter button all appear as normal...
BUT the screen (the camera viewfinder) remains black, and everything freezes for a few seconds. Then the screen shows up the cameras image and everything starts to work as it should.

So it seems like the apps are asking for the camera, but the camera is taking a few seconds to actually boot up. Which is weird, right?

I'm not on a stock ROM, im on the RomAur 3.0 one, but as far as I can tell it is using the standard camera app, and noone else has had this problem. I cam from the previous version of RomAur and the camera in that didnt have any issues either.

Just wondering if this is some glitch or something is interfering? Any suggestions?

Thanks

Mine did this as well as other issues. A factory reset did not help but the thing that cured is was a "Repair" from Sony PC Companion. This will perform a factory reset and reflash the OS. Worked for me.

jonmorris

Apr 22, 2012
Hatfield, UK
www.jmcomms.com
Resets, wipes or repairs won't fix it forever. In fact, I think it's something else that causes problems with the camera app and not the app itself. It's how you start the camera and what was going on at the time that matters.

nirurin

Nov 25, 2012
Bristol
Resets, wipes or repairs won't fix it forever. In fact, I think it's something else that causes problems with the camera app and not the app itself. It's how you start the camera and what was going on at the time that matters.

This turns out to be right. After a day or so of no issues with the camera, I tried loading up instagram today and the camera took a long time to load up.

I also notice that even when the camera is loaded, if you try switching to the front-facing camera - that takes a long time to load up too. And same again if you try and switch back to the rear camera.

If this is standard on all kitkat roms for the Z1c then there is some major glitch in there somewhere.

So far it happens on standard app, instagram, and snapchat for sure.

nirurin

Nov 25, 2012
Bristol
This turns out to be right. After a day or so of no issues with the camera, I tried loading up instagram today and the camera took a long time to load up.

I also notice that even when the camera is loaded, if you try switching to the front-facing camera - that takes a long time to load up too. And same again if you try and switch back to the rear camera.

If this is standard on all kitkat roms for the Z1c then there is some major glitch in there somewhere.

So far it happens on standard app, instagram, and snapchat for sure.

Resurrecting my own thread, as I never actually noticed a fix for this to come up anywhere? I know im not the only one experiencing this, is everyone just living with it?

Its not a huge bother as when it crops up I can do a restart to fix it for another day, but if/when it crops up when im trying to do something quickly its pretty annoying.

charlatan01

Jan 10, 2008
Denver
I noticed this. Turn off location and it fires right up. That GPS lock can take a few seconds... especially if you're indoors!

nirurin

Nov 25, 2012
Bristol
I noticed this. Turn off location and it fires right up. That GPS lock can take a few seconds... especially if you're indoors!

I always have location turned off, at least the location toggle is turned off. Unless the camera is still attempting to use gps even when the service is deactivated? But then thats still a fault

charlatan01

Jan 10, 2008
Denver
I always have location turned off, at least the location toggle is turned off. Unless the camera is still attempting to use gps even when the service is deactivated? But then thats still a fault

Hmm, that's how I disable it... and I haven't noticed the lag. I should say, I am currently running a CM based ROM - PA.

Brewn

Feb 18, 2012
I have the same lag on my Z1C (CM Nightly), but it only occurs the first time I start the camera after a reboot. I just start the camera once I have rebooted the phone (you can kill it via task manager again and it still works!) and do not have any lags afterwards that could prevent a quick shot. It's not perfect, but it works.

nirurin

Nov 25, 2012
Bristol
Same here with cm 11.

Then its a completely different problem, cos on the stock android after a reboot the camera is fast straight away, and its only after an indeterminate amount of time (hours/days) of running that the camera will then become slow to load. And then a restart fixes the problem.

Clearly CM uses a different camera, or some other different piece of coding, that isnt the same in the stock sony build.

mosespl

Mar 19, 2012
Wrocław
I installed port camera from z2 and i dont have lags. On stock camera i had couple of lags and crashes but for now with new camera is good

Wysłane z mojego D5503 przy użyciu Tapatalka

nirurin

Nov 25, 2012
Bristol
I installed port camera from z2 and i dont have lags. On stock camera i had couple of lags and crashes but for now with new camera is good

Wysłane z mojego D5503 przy użyciu Tapatalka

Does the ported Z2 camera overwrite the Z1 camera? As in, will apps like snapchat etc use the Z2 camera code instead of the Z1 code?

Because the problem isnt just with the default camera app, its with every app that uses the camera. Snapchat, instagram, facebook, whenever you load up the camera on any of them, theres a 5 second delay while the camera screen stays black, until the camera then switches on and starts working.

BUT not all the time, after a fresh reboot they all work instantly like they should. Its only after a few hours or whatever that the camera starts misbehaving. Something is causing interference.