Sony SmartWatch Impressions?

Search This thread

cruzzmz

May 4, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
Hi everyone.

@Tippfehler:
Not sure why it should work once and then stop working.
Maybe just a temporary server issue?
Have you tried it with another mail app with the same server settings?
You can try it with the insecure imap port 143.
without SSL. Maybe there is some certificate problem?

@cruzzmz: what do you mean with "when it got more that 1 msg it will only show 2 msg in notification." ? Does it catch all messages or not? And does it catch the complete message?

@sisqoboy: Thanks but i am not the developer of the customnotifier app. :)
It can be a bit annoying with some messengers like Skype when it does catch the "online" notification every 5 seconds.
But i would like how they fetch the notifications. there is so little documentation for notifications out there...

I will see if i can get up some apps to the google market when they seem to work.
Will try order a credit card today. They are quite expensive here...

The Calendar App should catch every event that you can see in the official google calendar application on android so even exchange synchronised calendars like i use.
Other Calendar applications do not work.

Maybe we should do the bug reporting somewhere else because they have not really anything to do with the smartwatch impressions i think. ;)

But still thanks for all the kind reports. That makes it that i like do develop for it even when i am new to this. but i am learning a lot.

Hi
again great work ... kudos to u
I think u should open a thread in the android software dev section and put the title smartwatch app dev there ... and lead us the way to the thread

as for the whatsapp, if i got 2/3 messages at one time, it will just show 2/3 messages at the notification on the watch. Not like before this version that u could scroll between messages. Yes it does show all the messages. Hope this will help u ...

calendar app, I could only access my gmail calendar dunno why i cant access my exchange one or maybe because I am using another mail client not the default samsung one

Last edited:

namyboyz44

Sep 22, 2007
Spotify

I was considering buying this watch but would like to know am i able to control my spotify app from the watch. Thank you for your help.

beowulf6

May 17, 2007
bytewiese.de
it should support the spotify app.

Can you control spotify with a connected bluetooth headset?

I think it just needs to be controllable with a bluetooth device and should be set as the default player app so the default smartwatch player control can control the default app.

Have not tried it though.

roswell782

Apr 30, 2011
MLJ
Hi! Smartwatch works well for me, no problem. Nearly 4 days of battery life, no disconnection of bluetooth. Only the screen is difficult to see when i'm outside with a high luminosity. Except that nothing bad with it...

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using xda premium

nikedog

Mar 27, 2012
I got the watch and use it with my note. Loving it so far. Does anyone know if i can pair a Bluetooth headphones and the Sony smartwatch at the same time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda premium

Wop2k

Jul 24, 2007
Hey, I just recieved my smartwatch. It says you can activate the display by shaking it, but this only works when i shake it like crazy.

Has anyone got suggestions on a specific movement?

beowulf6

May 17, 2007
bytewiese.de
i have problems to activate it with shaking too.

But i think rotating it 3 or more times works best.

But when i did this once it seems to take some time to reset so i need to wait some time until shaking works again.

But still i am more successful with tapping on the screen or pressing the button. :)

ryanmcdonald

Jan 5, 2011
Trapping Notifications

beowulf6,

I'm writing (trying to write) a SmartWatch notifier for KIK messenger. Would you be willing to let me take a look at the source code for your SmartwatchWhatsappNotifier21.apk??? I'd love to see how you are trapping the notifications.

-Ryan

purepwnage2

Apr 16, 2012
hey , I know this is alot to ask but would maybe a dev do what they have done on the Motorola actv but on the Sony smart watch, or if it is possible at all?

m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DpsDGKb67oiw&v=psDGKb67oiw&gl=AU

beowulf6

May 17, 2007
bytewiese.de
Hi purepwnage2
Your link didnt worked for me, but i think it is this?
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=psDGKb67oiw

That in the video is a full blown android device and is not possible on the sony smartwatch.
You can think about the smartwatch as an extended screen and input device for your android phone. So you can not run any normal game or app on it unless it is specially made for the watch.

If you just want a rather inexpensive watch that extends your phone you go with the sony smartwatch.
If you want an expensive full blown android device as a watch, you go with the motorola watch or the wimm one.

DerTzwenn

May 13, 2012
Hey, I´m new and I have got a problem with the Whatsapp-Notifer.
The version 20 runs without problems- there ist no Text, it only shows the sender, but I think thats normal.
The version 21 shows the sender and text, but it just works sometimes.
Sometimes I get notices on my smartwatch, but only a few ones, most of the notices were not relayed.
Is there someone else with the same prob? I do not understand, why version 20 runs, 21 just now and then...

purepwnage2

Apr 16, 2012
Okay thanks beowolf :) but I don't think the motoactv is a full blown android device, it was made to be a fitness tracker/watch that can also, if connected to a phone receive calls and messages

Sent from my LG-P920 using XDA

Reactions: biker750

beowulf6

May 17, 2007
bytewiese.de
hi. the smartwatch should be compatible with most android devices.
I already read about someone where it works with the HTC One x so it should work with it and most other devices.

matej1990

Feb 4, 2010
Maribor
Yup! It works flawless! In fact... it works better than with HTC Sensation!
If I was using/operating my smartwatch with HTC Sensation it almost always disconnected if I was doing the gestures little bit faster than normal. And HTC Sensation is on the official Sony compatibility list...
Using HTC One X is much better. Now I can quickly do gestures and watch never disconnects also loading icons and widgets is much much faster.

Last edited:

eBast

Feb 9, 2006
Hey i have ordered the smart watch from expansys.in.....awaiting my order. So is it fully work with my one x .I dont see it on the sony website :confused:

How did you pay ? when is the expected shipping time ? how will you manage if this is detained by the customs ?

I am also interested in buying, but was considering clove.co.uk

Please clarify

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi everyone.

Sorry. was a bit busy the last days.

I worked a bit on some smartwatch apps.

the Mail notification app:
    smartwatchmailnotifier11.apk
    should no longer crash on the phone even when wrong settings are entered. i also changed a bit more and added some more settings in the settings-screen that are accessible from the javamail library.

there might still be a not responding message when the app fetches messages. So please press "wait" when this pops up. It should be faster after the first fetch though.

If you have problems i would like if you can provide some server-details. especially if you use some free mail hosting out there and wich settings you used in the app.

I also changed the Whatsapp Notification app.
    I am not sure if the new version prints out the full message. But i changed it so it should print out every possible text type from the view. So there might be some odd number or something like that.
    SmartwatchWhatsappNotifier21.apk

I also made a wrong answer. It seems the smartwatch does support more then the 3x3 touchpoints. i must have misunderstood the documentation of it somewhere.
    I come to the conclusion because there is a new calculator app in the market that must need more than 3x3 touchpoints because of the many buttons.

Or are there different versions of the smartwatch?

//Edit:
    Ok. made another small App for the Smartwatch because the default Calendar app does not show any event at all for me.
    The app shows the Events from your Calendar on your smartwatch and you can swipe with your finger to the left to see the next event and swipe to the right to see the previous event.

It will most likely only work on Android 4.0 and higher devices. So sorry for everyone else.
    SmartwatchCalendar.apk
    Thank you very much beowulf, great apps. the smartwatch map is works great, one question on the mail notifier, i have a verizon galaxy nexus and am having trouble, i dont get any notifications, and i get the mailnotification app is not responding. do i need to change the protocol from imaps or the port from what it automatically is t 993? thanks for any assistance

Hi.

if it is not responding it is most likely some wrong with your setting.
    You can find the correct Port for your mailserver on the webpage of your mailprovider most of the time.
    993 is only the port for the imaps port of google mail.

if you set it to imap it will most likely be a different port.

If you have set the server in any mail application on your desktop PC you could get the correct settings from there maybe.

I also changed the GPS Map application for the Smartwatch.
    It is using now Google Maps and i have set the refreshing even higher. I am not sure about the battery consumtion with that high refreshrate.
    with a press on the screen of the smartwatch you can dim the screen.

The problem with google mail is the big copyright box at the bottom that is eating much space.

Google Maps version:
    http://bytewiese.de/fileadmin/_media/dl/smartwatch/SmartwatchMapGmap.apk

OpenStreetMap version:
    http://bytewiese.de/fileadmin/_media/dl/smartwatch/SmartwatchMap.apk

You can not install both at the same time.

Maybe i should make a thread where all the apps for the Smartwatch can be found? I am not really sure if this is the right thread for the development of smartwatch apps.
    The whatsapp notifier doesnt work on my HTC One x (ICS)
    When I start the app on my smart watch it says "no events" and then it freezes the smart watch.

Hi. that is odd. there is nothing special happening on opening the event-list on the smartwatch.

Do you have the Accessibility Service enablend in your Android System Settings and enabled it inside of the Whatsapp notification settings? (there is a "Active" checkbox. The first one is only to show the icon on the smartwatch and is provided from the LiveWare Manager)

I also digged into the Sony E-Mail notification app.

When i am correct they have extended the Content Provider from the System E-Mail Application. the "isDeviceSupported()" Method does not just check for the Mobile-Phone ID or something like that which would be easy to change for other Phones.
    It does check for the Content Provider from the E-Mail Application where it can get the E-Mail accounts and other data.

So without a modified E-Mail.apk for your Android version and no Root access i suppose it is not possible.

Thanks to Tippfehler and koba for providing the links.
    Hello. i again have developed a bit.

I am not sure if the mail notifier does work now for everyone.
    For me it worked already before on my actual device and in the emulator.
    But still i changed a bit what i have forgot in the mail library.
    smartwatchmailnotifier.apk

and i have developed a GPS Map Application:
    SmartwatchMap.apk

I was not able to use the google maps api inside of an smartwatch app so i needed to make it different.

it uses now openstreetmap.

It does not have an own icon at the moment.

If you do not enable gps on your phone it should use your network location which is not really exact.
    It keeps your WatchScreen enabled and might eat much battery for your phone and watch.

Please remember: everything is still in beta. So sorry about bugs. :)
    Hi fourthw,

About the street names.. i fear google maps is not really optimized for such a low resolution. But it seems zooming out helped. You only need to reopen the app on the smartwatch and the new zoom should be active. I will see if i could make it zoomable from the app.

Am using a galaxy note with android ICS 4.0.4.

If you use google mail with 2 step verification you need to create a password for the app. Try to enter it with or without spaces. I fear though that the google mail imap implementation is a bit different because i wasnt able to see the bodytext either.

I am currently using the rss reader to get the google mail notifications where at least a part of the bodytext is readable. If you wish i could tell you how to use the rss reader for that.

//edit: have you enabled imap in google mail? http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=77695