Recent iPhone users who migrated to the GS3 - Favorite Features?

Search This thread

blasterrr

Aug 13, 2012
Athens, GA
One thing that I do not like on S3 is > Test display on the Icons, browser and in general is not as sharp as Iphone. I think Samsung got a bit of ways before the text clarity is what Iphone has.

ikjadoon

Jul 4, 2012
Lenovo P11
One thing that I do not like on S3 is > Test display on the Icons, browser and in general is not as sharp as Iphone. I think Samsung got a bit of ways before the text clarity is what Iphone has.

Have you tried a different font? I'm using Coolvetica and it's great; much clearer than the stock. :D Just find the apk, install it, then go to Display -> Font Style. I don't even think root is required!

~Ibrahim~

Jaspah

Sep 4, 2012
Syracuse, NY
I upgraded to the S3 from an iPhone 4 -- traded it in and basically got the S3 free which is great. I'm absolutely loving the phone so far as well.

My girlfriend has the iPhone 4 and it blows my mind how much smaller it is compared to the S3... can't believe I used such a tiny phone before now, haha.

cecilia

Feb 2, 2007
New York
Have you tried a different font? I'm using Coolvetica and it's great; much clearer than the stock. :D Just find the apk, install it, then go to Display -> Font Style. I don't even think root is required!

~Ibrahim~

try here:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1717964

tons of fonts. And you don't need to be rooted

byte9

Oct 17, 2012
No need

Hi guys.

So it seems like a number of people here have recently migrated over from iPhone, just curious what are your all favorite features/apps since you switched over.

I used an iPhone 3 from 2008-2010 and then an iPhone 4 from 2008-Sept 2012. I was jailbroken on those devices but still pretty blown away by many Android functions. I loved loved loved my iPhone when I first got one, back in the day they were so damned ahead of the curve, but over time HTC/Samsung has caught up and they are no longer making truly impressive devices worthy of me overpaying for them, and to have the Nanny state of Apple telling me what apps I am capable of using. Those are the main reasons I made the switch. Although I still kind of miss the smaller size of my iPhone.

ANYWAYYYYS....things I love since I made the switch:

1. TORRENTS! You could never ever get a Torrent application from the Apple App Store. I use "adownloaded" via the Google Play Store. I love mainly the ability to switch between various torrent trackers and even grab torrents from some of the private torrent sites I use (ones for music / video). If I feel like listening to some old album I don't have on my PC at home, simple just grab the torrent. Forgot to DL the new Boardwalk Empire, just grab it off a tracker via Adownloader.

2. Power management options. Having an app to turn off power hog features (wifi, mobile data, gps, etc) when the screen is turned off and then booting them all back up quickly when I turn the screen back on. I use "Go Power Master" for this and love it. You don't need to be rooted to do it either.

3. Themes / visual customization. Animated backgrounds, etc. Some of those things were available to jailbroken (and JB saavy) iPhone users but it was extreeemly buggy and problematic when I tried to mess with visual display customization with my jailbroken iPhones. Here its entirely simple to do for non-root and root users.

4. Battery replacement / external memory. Bought 2 extra batteries and an external battery charger off ebay for only $20 all included. Yes maybe that's a testament to the...not so amazing battery life of the GS3, but I still love the option of having extra 100% charged batteries at home and in the office in case I forget to charge my GS3. Down to 10% and no time to charge? Pull off the ottebox and throw another battery in. Also love the external memory, bought a 32GB micro SD as soon as I got my GS3. Blows my mind that Apple charges $100 extra to go from 16gb to 32gb and to 64gb (when it's been proven online it only costs them $10 to raise the memory....a 90% margin customers have to pay....retarded. A lot of my iPhone devotee friends would just tell me to get the 16gb and keep all my extra music/movies "in the cloud". Fuuuuuuck that. Why blow my wireless data plan constantly DLing albums from my Cloud account rather than just having a phone with a decent amount of memory.

5. Video playback. GS3 has flawlessly played everything I've thrown at it, without any conversion. AVI's / XVID / X264 / MKV / VOB, MP4, alll of it. It's a far far cry from trying to get any bloody files to play on the iPhone, iTunes was so prickly with formats that even many .MP4's I downloaded wouldnt sync properly with iPhone. It was a major pain in the ass to throw videos on the iPhone because so many would require conversion. Even the third party apps in the app store that could play SOME AVI/XVID would get buggy and be unable to play back 50% of anything I threw at it.
My favorite feature is that ANYTHING is possible. No need for jailbreaking. It's overly simplified in statement, but overtly true. (also AOKP is amazing in every way)

jason.T

Jan 25, 2013
Savage
Me too.

I was a super iPhone user for years. I had every model through the 4s, all were jailbroken. I just wasn't impressed at all. The whole cydia thing, updating constantly and half the apps didn't work for the correct model phone anyway. I came to Android after going to school for Computer Science and learning code. The open source was the main reason for my switch. I went from a 4s to the GS3 and haven't regretted the decision for a minute.

RPelham

Dec 19, 2012
Tampa
My favorite is the fact that its endlessly customizable. Don't like a font? Don't like a launcher? Don't like the messaging app? Prefer to have your clock in the middle? Want a battery bar? Want to get rid of TouchWiz entirely? Want to uninstall a core app?

Change it.

Android is so much more customizable and powerful than iOS will ever be because apple is too controlling. Google gives their source to anyone and everyone with a computer.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

The Internet

Sep 11, 2012
Imo, the best feature of iOS is its simplicity, but it's very dated and lacks features found on any common android. The thing that always bothers me is that after 7 years you still can't do bluetooth file transfer. Even my old Windows Mobile smartphone from 2006 does it perfectly up until this day. With GS3 you have tons of customization options out of the box. With iOS you're bound to Apple's stock apps. Not the case with GS3.

As person above said, if you don't like a particular thing, just find another that suits your tastes. People swear by Nova and other launchers. I found myself to be in love with Holo, and that was after loving the stock TW style for so many months.

In iOS you have Safari and that's it. You can download other browsers, but DEFAULT will always be Safari (unless you jailbreak of course). I've gone through so many browsers, but finally stood with Chrome as my default b/c it syncs bookmarks and everything between my GS3, old 4S, office computer, work laptop, personal laptop, etc.

I thought I'd be content with stock ROM. Then I rooted and thought I'd be happy with that. Then I started doing custom ROMS. The possibilities are endless. You can make your GS3 your own and work the way YOU need it to. With iOS, you're stuck with whatever Apple allows you to do. I can go on forever because I know tons about iOS and jailbreaking, but I am now in love with my GS3 and will not look back.

hxphan

May 18, 2006
Grand Rapids
Removable battery been using a 4200mah battery now I can use it all day heavy usage without worry about finding a outlet. With my old iPhone 5 I would have to charge it few times a day.

Sent via Tapatalk

peaster3

Apr 30, 2010
Texas
I recently bought an iPhone from eBay to use as a 2nd phone. Resold it within a month because I felt it paled in comparison to Android.

ryandelman

Oct 6, 2009
Chapin, SC
I have an iPhone4S for work and S3 as my personal. It's rare that the iPhone gets used as anything other than a drink coaster simply because it's doesn't do enough.

While there's nothing wrong with the iPhone, iOS or the hardware (in fact, it's all very neat and clean), it's boring and bland if you're like me because I just need customization.

Principly speaking -as a consumer- I don't appreciate having what I want or need dictated to me through the product I'm buying, but again beyond that I just find iOS to be blah.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium

AnthomX

Sep 17, 2012
I have an iPhone4S for work and S3 as my personal. It's rare that the iPhone gets used as anything other than a drink coaster simply because it's doesn't do enough.

While there's nothing wrong with the iPhone, iOS or the hardware (in fact, it's all very neat and clean), it's boring and bland if you're like me because I just need customization.

Principly speaking -as a consumer- I don't appreciate having what I want or need dictated to me through the product I'm buying, but again beyond that I just find iOS to be blah.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium

Or told that you are holding it wrong :silly:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys.

So it seems like a number of people here have recently migrated over from iPhone, just curious what are your all favorite features/apps since you switched over.

I used an iPhone 3 from 2008-2010 and then an iPhone 4 from 2008-Sept 2012. I was jailbroken on those devices but still pretty blown away by many Android functions. I loved loved loved my iPhone when I first got one, back in the day they were so damned ahead of the curve, but over time HTC/Samsung has caught up and they are no longer making truly impressive devices worthy of me overpaying for them, and to have the Nanny state of Apple telling me what apps I am capable of using. Those are the main reasons I made the switch. Although I still kind of miss the smaller size of my iPhone.

ANYWAYYYYS....things I love since I made the switch:

1. TORRENTS! You could never ever get a Torrent application from the Apple App Store. I use "adownloaded" via the Google Play Store. I love mainly the ability to switch between various torrent trackers and even grab torrents from some of the private torrent sites I use (ones for music / video). If I feel like listening to some old album I don't have on my PC at home, simple just grab the torrent. Forgot to DL the new Boardwalk Empire, just grab it off a tracker via Adownloader.

2. Power management options. Having an app to turn off power hog features (wifi, mobile data, gps, etc) when the screen is turned off and then booting them all back up quickly when I turn the screen back on. I use "Go Power Master" for this and love it. You don't need to be rooted to do it either.

3. Themes / visual customization. Animated backgrounds, etc. Some of those things were available to jailbroken (and JB saavy) iPhone users but it was extreeemly buggy and problematic when I tried to mess with visual display customization with my jailbroken iPhones. Here its entirely simple to do for non-root and root users.

4. Battery replacement / external memory. Bought 2 extra batteries and an external battery charger off ebay for only $20 all included. Yes maybe that's a testament to the...not so amazing battery life of the GS3, but I still love the option of having extra 100% charged batteries at home and in the office in case I forget to charge my GS3. Down to 10% and no time to charge? Pull off the ottebox and throw another battery in. Also love the external memory, bought a 32GB micro SD as soon as I got my GS3. Blows my mind that Apple charges $100 extra to go from 16gb to 32gb and to 64gb (when it's been proven online it only costs them $10 to raise the memory....a 90% margin customers have to pay....retarded. A lot of my iPhone devotee friends would just tell me to get the 16gb and keep all my extra music/movies "in the cloud". Fuuuuuuck that. Why blow my wireless data plan constantly DLing albums from my Cloud account rather than just having a phone with a decent amount of memory.

5. Video playback. GS3 has flawlessly played everything I've thrown at it, without any conversion. AVI's / XVID / X264 / MKV / VOB, MP4, alll of it. It's a far far cry from trying to get any bloody files to play on the iPhone, iTunes was so prickly with formats that even many .MP4's I downloaded wouldnt sync properly with iPhone. It was a major pain in the ass to throw videos on the iPhone because so many would require conversion. Even the third party apps in the app store that could play SOME AVI/XVID would get buggy and be unable to play back 50% of anything I threw at it.
    you guys got most the pros and cons pretty much right.

I think having had an iPhone for many years and now having a top-quality Android device, you really get to see that there are many pretty advantages to each device. I dont think the Apple fanboys or the "Fandroids" have a perfect case to make for each device. With the GS3 I sacrifice a few things that I loved about iPhone but the things and possibilities I get in return with Android / GS3 kind of blow me away.

but I'm learning there are some shortcuts to some of the "too many clicks" issues:

if you go into Contact and want to call someone quickly, the common gripe is you select a name and instead of it launching a call to that name, you go into the contact details. there are Swipe Left and Swipe Right features in Contacts. Look up a contact and Swipe Right and it should launch straight into a call, Swipe Left and it will start a text to that name.
    Admittedly, the slowdown and lag with Jellybean isn't as a common issue, but if you have it as I do it is very annoying. I will probably root after the warranty expires and possibly and hopefully that will fix the heat and slight lag issue.

Root makes everything better. ;)

Seriously. :D
    I had an iPhone since 2007. In the beginning, and up until recently they were amazing. I feel like every iteration since the iPhone 4 has gotten less and less innovative. The S3 has some amazing features and the fact that you can tweak it in every direction is pretty great. Android was new and weird at first coming from iOS but now that I'm more comfortable, its amazing.
    My favorite features of the S3 over iPhone 5:

Larger Screen:

This is a nice feature compared to the tiny iPhone 5 screen. This was one of the main reasons why I made the switch.

Colored LED Notifications:

This is a nice feature which doesn't exist on the iPhone 5. With the ability to customize the colors for of the different app notifications is a treat.

Removable Back Cover:

How nice it is to be able to swap/replace the battery with ease compared to the iPhone 5. Not to mention the difference in price replacing the back cover on each device.

Micro-USB vs. Apple proprietary cable:

Nuff said.

I could go on and on and on but since this is my first post on this forum, I will keep it short and sweet. ;)

-slimshotty