[Q] New to custom ROMs

Search This thread

mikecico

Mar 16, 2010
I want to flash a custom ROM onto my DX, but I'm pretty new to the game. I've rooted, and have installed ROM Manager, and Titanium backup, etc, but am a bit gun-shy about going the custom ROM route, mostly due to inexperience.

I see that CMx and Liberty are the popular ROMs for DX, but I'm not sure which is the better one to go with. It seems that CMx is feature-packed, but has battery issues. Is this true? Is there a stock Android ROM for DX out there?

Also, it seems like in some cases, like with CMx, that you have to downgrade to an earlier firmware version first. Is this still the case with DX, and is it common for flashing any DX custom ROM?

Thanks,
Mike

infazzdar

Dec 20, 2010
I want to flash a custom ROM onto my DX, but I'm pretty new to the game. I've rooted, and have installed ROM Manager, and Titanium backup, etc, but am a bit gun-shy about going the custom ROM route, mostly due to inexperience.

I see that CMx and Liberty are the popular ROMs for DX, but I'm not sure which is the better one to go with. It seems that CMx is feature-packed, but has battery issues. Is this true? Is there a stock Android ROM for DX out there?

Also, it seems like in some cases, like with CMx, that you have to downgrade to an earlier firmware version first. Is this still the case with DX, and is it common for flashing any DX custom ROM?

Thanks,
Mike

Rom flashing is a completely safe and reversible process. Before you begin flashing roms though, familiarize yourself with the SBFing process.

Cm7 doesn't necessarily have battery issues, it just doesn't get as much batter life as roms such as Vortex and Liberty. Cm7 is probably as close to AOSP as you will want to get.

You DO NOT have to downgrade for Cm7. You can, but it is not recommended unless you want to run the official nightlies (which aren't as good as the unofficial nightlies).

When you begin your foray in to rom flashing remember to always use Droid 2 Bootstrapper and never use Droid X Bootstrapper.

mikecico

Mar 16, 2010
Thanks guys, looks like I've got some reading for my sick day today!

Sent from my DROIDX using XDA App

Jubakuba

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 22, 2010
Pueblo, Colorado
It may seem slightly daunting...
But if you're anything like me...
Just jumping on in really does make it easier.

I promise you if you follow my tutorial...It isn't like most tutorials.
Remember doing the very basic PB&J tutorial in school?
Where you had to say every single step...
Get bread.
Open jar.
Dip knife in jar...blablabla.

That's how I based my tut.
It's very easy to follow!

mikecico

Mar 16, 2010
Quick follow on question, I noticed there's a Droid X bootstrap recovery app in addition to the droid 2 one. Should I still stick with the droid 2 ones according to the guide?

Thanks again,
Mike

mikecico

Mar 16, 2010
So, I installed Liberty 3.0, and have been very happy. More stable, faster, longer battery life. Wish I did this months ago. Went from hating my DX on a daily basis to loving it again. It's like a new phone.

The only problem now is that Verizon's pushing out their latest update, and I don't want it. Last thing I want to see is Blur on my phone again. Is there a way to disable this update?

ssurfer2

Oct 8, 2010
Don't know if Liberty take OTA verizon update, would think it would be disabled. But on stock ROM freeze updater in titanium would prevent the OTA. I just did it last week as I didn't want the latest OTA reminder continuously popping up until I know how it panned out.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Last edited: