Google Wallet work around for Tmobile Samsung Galaxy S2

Search This thread
P

Pete1612

From your phone open the browser and head to http://market.android.com. (Tip: You may want to clear data and defaults on browser and Market before doing this.)

Search for “Google Wallet.” (If your browser prompts you to open the Market, don’t. Just stay in the browser.)
When the results come back, tap on the Google Wallet icon.

Tap the “Install” button from within the browser and then sign into your Google account. (Again, this is all from the browser, not the Market app.)

Once you have signed in, you should be redirected back to the Market page in the browser.

Tap the back button until you are prompted for the Market or Browser again, this time choosing the Market.
The Android Market should open to the Google Wallet page with an option to install.

Let me know if it works for you guys! :D

still doesn#t work for me :( when I wanna to go the android market app, it searches for google wallet but without succes.

C

chib1panda

43a09a39-6a1a-8c58.jpg
Installs but says not supported device. Only option is to exit.

Message relayed from the dark side.

jonathan3579

Mar 12, 2010
Houston
still doesn#t work for me :( when I wanna to go the android market app, it searches for google wallet but without succes.

You don't search from the market. You go to the web page, search Google Wallet, click install, sign-in, click install one more time, hit back and click the market and it automatically loads up for you! Make sure you clear the data from your Market first!

---------- Post added at 05:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:13 PM ----------

43a09a39-6a1a-8c58.jpg
Installs but says not supported device. Only option is to exit.

Okay, I will look up some more methods. I also found a few modified apk's as well. (I am still wary of using those though.)

P

Pete1612

You don't search from the market. You go to the web page, search Google Wallet, click install, sign-in, click install one more time, hit back and click the market and it automatically loads up for you! Make sure you clear the data from your Market first!

I did that, but instead of showing me the app, the market searches for google+wallet

algorhythm

Dec 19, 2007
Long Island, NY
Guys, we can easily download the app. Our phones do NOT have the hardware implementation to run Google Wallet at this time. Figuring out different ways of downloading the .apk file is useless.

Reactions: fraz82
P

Pete1612

Guys, we can easily download the app. Our phones do NOT have the hardware implementation to run Google Wallet at this time. Figuring out different ways of downloading the .apk file is useless.

sorry but what is required other then a NFC chip for Google Wallet ?

armoguy94

May 25, 2009
I installed it on my phone running Darkside's CM7 ROM by opening the market page on my computer and simply clicking Chrome to Phone. When the dialog appeared on my phone, which asked whether I wanted to open the link up in the Market or in my Browser, I clicked Market. It opened the Android Market and let me install it just fine.

The Wallet App opened and configured itself using my network connection. Then, it showed a dialog, which was NOT "Hardware Not Supported." Instead, it said that my NFC is not turned on and I can either go to the settings and turn it on, or exit the app. NFC never worked for me on the CM7 ROM, so I exited. I was in flight mode with my WiFi turned on this entire time.

Then I installed Digital Anarky to try this out. I installed Google Wallet just fine using the same method as before. I forgot to use flight mode, if that makes a difference. Now I get a "Hardware Not Supported" dialog. Is this onto something?

EDIT: Disregard this post. As long as NFC is disabled on any ROM, that is the dialog that will show up. Until NFC is enabled, "Hardware Not Support" will not appear.

Last edited:

Wilsonium

Aug 24, 2011
Central Valley, CA
CM7 does not support the NFC hardware in our phones yet so Google Wallet will not run on CM7. However, developers are a clever and smart bunch of people and might figure something out.

goonx

Oct 18, 2011
I think it has to be enabled at the ROM/kernel level

Sent from my SGH-T989 using XDA App

C

chib1panda

I took this qoute from the bounty thread as to why it does work with ours.

" Currently, Google Wallet can only be run on Nexus devices (officially or unofficially) because not only do they have an NFC chip, but they also have a chip alongside that, which is called the secure element. The secure element is where all the credit card and sensitive information are stored when using Google Wallet. To ever support the SGSII, I believe Google will have to redesign their product to work with phones that do not have a secure element, like all of the SGSIIs, including ours, the T989"

jonathan3579

Mar 12, 2010
Houston
I took this qoute from the bounty thread as to why it does work with ours.

" Currently, Google Wallet can only be run on Nexus devices (officially or unofficially) because not only do they have an NFC chip, but they also have a chip alongside that, which is called the secure element. The secure element is where all the credit card and sensitive information are stored when using Google Wallet. To ever support the SGSII, I believe Google will have to redesign their product to work with phones that do not have a secure element, like all of the SGSIIs, including ours, the T989"

So what I'm taking from that is no hope and this whole NFC on the T989 was a joke. (As on any other non-Nexus device.) I just don't get the point of the app being so locked down.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

noodles2224

Jan 10, 2009
Wow people really cant be patient. Im sure theyre gonna make it work (google). Besides, taking out your phone is the same process as taking out your wallet for your card. Americans really are that lazy now.. You can even order fast food from your house now and be delivered. plus, requirements show that it needs 2.3.7 and up for it work.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Wilsonium

Aug 24, 2011
Central Valley, CA
I'm also hopeful but blame the carriers for omitting the secure element to cripple the devices leaving our only choice being their own Isis NFC setup. Of course this is all subjective. And I also recall somewhere that the secure element would be in the SIM... Which would be a barrier to using NFC payment features on another carrier unless they too had enabled SIMs. To thwart Google Wallet, Isis signed Gemalto in December which gives secure element options including in the SIM.

jonathan3579

Mar 12, 2010
Houston
I'm also hopeful but blame the carriers for omitting the secure element to cripple the devices leaving our only choice being their own Isis NFC setup. Of course this is all subjective. And I also recall somewhere that the secure element would be in the SIM... Which would be a barrier to using NFC payment features on another carrier unless they too had enabled SIMs. To thwart Google Wallet, Isis signed Gemalto in December which gives secure element options including in the SIM.

I have heard no updates on this whole Isis situation. It was announced and as far as I know has drifted off into a deep abyss.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

cbinvb

Nov 5, 2011
I got it to download from the market by doing everything through the browser. But when i launch the app i get "Hardware is not supported" message

armoguy94

May 25, 2009
The international Galaxy SII is also lacking a built-in secure element. Clearly, the carriers had nothing to do with this. The point of using a secure element is to store the information securely, if that wasnt already obvious. This whole thing is for security. We will need to wait for Google to modify the app to not use a secure element - which i doubt will happen - or wait for a secure element SD card or sim card.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using XDA App

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Bedtime....

Lets go ahead and put this to bed once and for all. Below...you will find a link to Paul OBrien's (MoDaCo) edited Wallet.apk. This apk has been edited to remove device check and so on. Please...install it on your newly updated T989 running ICS and watch it fail all over itself. You will not be able to activate an account. Simply...the T989 does not have native support for secure element. Without it, Wallet will not work. Dont care if you "stand by your word" or not, fact is fact.

http://www.modaco.com/topic/354635-region-device-root-patched-google-wallet-apk-11-r67-v4/

---------- Post added at 10:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 AM ----------

Just got word thar tmobile maybe doing without gw...

Tmobile trying to partner up with a company and do it that way somewhat like sprint.

T-Mobile is, and has been for quite some time, in bed with ISIS. You can find information on the product at the link below. Sadly...it is taking them forever to roll out their payment system, and because of this corporate partnership, T-Mo has decided to shun Wallet and every other mobile payment system.

http://www.paywithisis.com/
    Not to be a ****. But the title of this thread needs changed.
    Hi all, I just found a workaround so that we can get google wallet installed on our phone and get it to work as well. Here are the steps

1. Go to menu. Enable Flight mode
    2. Enable wifi and connect to the internet
    3. Go to the market and type in google wallet
    4. You will see it and download it.
    5. After download, EXIT OUT OF FLIGHT MODE BEFORE RUNNING THE APP.
    6. Run the app and you are good to go.

I hope this works for you guys and any problems and comments are welcomed for discussions. Thank you all.
    Who cares!!! Just pay cash or with a debit card like you have all this time,

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Seriously. It doesnt make it any quicker. The same amount of time taking out your phone, loading the app i assume is the same as taking out your wallet. You need your wallet anyways.. isnt your drivers license in there.

DMolina ツ