Heads-up - Forum merge (G2 and Desire Z) is here !

Search This thread

steviewevie

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 28, 2009
UK
I don't know if this is a good idea... people will be bricking phones left and right. For example, the Magic and the Wizard. The wizard has a G4 board and a G3 board. Caused a lot of bricks before they were seperated. The Magic has a 32a and 32b... never seperated and still causes bricks because of different SPLs. They should have been seperated. The G2/Desire Z have different bootloaders and a completely different framework. This could cause more trouble than convience. I still think the Magic should be seperated into 32a and 32b dev sections...

Sorry but that's not right, the bootloaders don't need to be flashed to root/S-OFF your phone any more, using the gfree method. So there shouldn't be any bricking going on.

There is no different board on the G2 and DZ. You can flash exactly the same custom ROM, say Cyanogen, on both phones. No bricking.

The "framework" you refer to is in the ROM (assuming you're referring to HTC Sense), and that's the same with any phone, you can find stuff that won't work because you're running a different ROM (not because of a problem with the phone). But that's not a bricking issue.

This is the sort of misunderstanding that I think would be helped if the forums were merged.

crowstar

Sep 26, 2009
Sorry but that's not right, the bootloaders don't need to be flashed to root/S-OFF your phone any more, using the gfree method. So there shouldn't be any bricking going on.

There is no different board on the G2 and DZ. You can flash exactly the same custom ROM, say Cyanogen, on both phones. No bricking.

The "framework" you refer to is in the ROM (assuming you're referring to HTC Sense), and that's the same with any phone, you can find stuff that won't work because you're running a different ROM (not because of a problem with the phone). But that's not a bricking issue.

This is the sort of misunderstanding that I think would be helped if the forums were merged.
Exactly, it's like saying 'I flashed a sense kernel on CM; It didn't work so we should split the forums :(

I know it's more complex but it is no different to desire GSM/CDMA

AbsolutZeroGI

Oct 28, 2010
C-Bus
IMHO, a merge would be fine.

*The general and Q/A sections (DZ doesn't have a Q/A section?!) can be merged. It's pretty common practice to say what kind of phone, what ROM, etc that you're using anyway. If they poster doesn't say it, someone asks them, so I do not see that being a problem. Merge them.

*On the outside, these phones are identical. Accessories can be completely merged with no issues. Cases that work for DZ will work for G2 and vice versa.

*For the Dev section...well:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=857390
A thread in DZ that has a root method that works on G2
If something doesn't work on both phones, then it's not big deal to add the words "G2 ONLY" or "DZ ONLY" to the title so people don't try the wrong things on accident. If someone doesn't read the whole title, then they're stupid and deserve the consequences.

*Themes and Apps
Same reasoning as the dev section

A full merge is the best idea, then we'll have everyone on the same page as these are basically the same phone. I can't see a reason why we shouldn't that can't be fixed with simple logic.

@Garcia
Got that screenie for ya, it's attached. You can even see the www.xda-developers.com at the top with no added address paths :D

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

NXUS

Aug 5, 2010
I propose a full merge would be better than a semi merge. Most problems I've read about in the desire z forums already have a solution or an active thread in the g2 section.

Sent from my HTC Vision

htc fan89

Jun 12, 2009
Ottawa,Vaudreuil-Dorion and NYC
I got scared when the link to desire z forum wasn't working. spend good 5 mins on clicking the link again and again. suddenly, I remember about G2 and z forum merge and clicked here. The desire z link should be linked to here.:eek:

steviewevie

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 28, 2009
UK
Did the merge go okay?
Looks like most of the threads in the Accessories area are about the Desire HD...

Lol yeah looks like something went a bit wrong there. I PM'd svetius about it, don't know who actually did the merge itself.

Edit - looks like a few DHD posts have ended up in our merged Q&A forum too. Strange, because the DHD doesn't have a Q&A forum as far as I can see :confused:

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Please tell me which you prefer:

1. Full Merge

Four forums (the usuals) for both the G2 and DZ

2. Dev Merge

Merge DZ with G2 dev forum, delete DZ dev forum (which will have zero threads). Keep individual G2/DZ forums for general, accessories, themes and apps.