[Q] Nexus 5 constantly rebooting at 'Google'

Search This thread

steelbreeze

Sep 23, 2010
Mumbai
Guys my gf's Nexus 5 shutdown today and just refuses to boot up. It doesn't do anything with any of the keys pressed in any of the combinations that are defined. But once it is plugged in to the charger or USB, the google logo pops up and the phone keeps on rebooting to that logo. If the volume down key is pressed when this is happening, the fastboot mode is visible for a second and the phone keeps rebooting. No action can be done in the fastboot mode due to the quick reboot. I am attaching the video of the problem. Any help guys?

http://youtu.be/FEixpssggCY

Reactions: gognavyseal

J.Diogo

Jun 17, 2012
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 5
Don't know what's going on.
Try doing that but with the phone connected to a PC that has adb and fastboot installed.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

steelbreeze

Sep 23, 2010
Mumbai
You have a fauilty or a stucked power key.

If it is just stucked then you can unstuck it by abusing the power key or taking the phone apart.

If it is fauilty then you have to claim your warranty.

If you disassemble the phone you will void your warranty

A few days back, she had got the power button fixed because the power button response had become intermittent and the phone was rebooting randomly. She had taken the phone to a LG service center first, but they told her that changing the button or trying to fix it might damage the board and told her to change the board altogether. So we took it to a local repair guy who fixed it and the phone was working fine till yesterday when it shutdown all of a sudden and then the rest is history.
Note: The phone is not under warranty as the phone was bought from Dubai and we stay in India. No international warranty.

bitdomo

Nov 3, 2011
Göd
A few days back, she had got the power button fixed because the power button response had become intermittent and the phone was rebooting randomly. She had taken the phone to a LG service center first, but they told her that changing the button or trying to fix it might damage the board and told her to change the board altogether. So we took it to a local repair guy who fixed it and the phone was working fine till yesterday when it shutdown all of a sudden and then the rest is history.
Note: The phone is not under warranty as the phone was bought from Dubai and we stay in India. No international warranty.
Then you have to visit that local repairer guy pay him to replace the power key again or pay LG to replace the mother board.

kbroh

Jul 1, 2014

Yeah the repair guy you dealt with must have fixed the button short-term but in doing so inadvertently caused it to short out. Meaning it needs to go back to a repair shop (better one) and cross your fingers that it didn't short out more important components :eek:

steelbreeze

Sep 23, 2010
Mumbai
Then you have to visit that local repairer guy pay him to replace the power key again or pay LG to replace the mother board.

Yeah the repair guy you dealt with must have fixed the button short-term but in doing so inadvertently caused it to short out. Meaning it needs to go back to a repair shop (better one) and cross your fingers that it didn't short out more important components :eek:

Okie. Will take the phone to LG tomorrow or over the weekend.

Guys please clear my one doubt. If it's the stuck power button, what does it have to do with the phone not doing anything when on battery but decides to go till 'Google' when plugged in?

hebert_hrs

Jul 25, 2014
Guys my gf's Nexus 5 shutdown today and just refuses to boot up. It doesn't do anything with any of the keys pressed in any of the combinations that are defined. But once it is plugged in to the charger or USB, the google logo pops up and the phone keeps on rebooting to that logo. If the volume down key is pressed when this is happening, the fastboot mode is visible for a second and the phone keeps rebooting. No action can be done in the fastboot mode due to the quick reboot. I am attaching the video of the problem. Any help guys?

Did you get it fixed? I have the same issue and I've tried many ways to bring it back to life. My last step will be taking it to the tech support, because I live in Brazil, and I'm pretty sure they will charge me expensively as hell.

KashMiester

Apr 13, 2011

Did you get it fixed? I have the same issue and I've tried many ways to bring it back to life. My last step will be taking it to the tech support, because I live in Brazil, and I'm pretty sure they will charge me expensively as hell.
I'm in the same boat, unfortuantely i'm at a loss in what to do, i'm going to send it back to Google and await a replacement, meanwhile i'll get my hands on some cheap old phone for now.

::neXGen::

Jan 15, 2014
Had my Nexus 5 for about a few month now, and have loved it till this morning, it decided to just shut off (full battery too) and i tried to turn it on and it is now just constantly starting up to the "Google" splash screen then shutting off.

Sometimes it gets to the the 4 color circles then shuts off.

I want to enter into recovery mode, but I have no time to click recovery mode as it reboots frequently
One thing i noticed when it did boot up was the power button seems to be extremely sensitive and volatile

Reactions: andaryjo

dueltothedeath

Feb 23, 2011
I had this same problem.. It constantly rebooted and wouldn't let me get into recovery.. Every time I plugged in the charger it would reboot also. You have to let the battery completely drain.. I gave it a couple weeks.. then tried it again and it worked.

Reactions: ::neXGen::

hbb20

Sep 20, 2014
Found a solution

Well same thing started to happening with me yesterday after installing android L's developers' preview in my nexus 5. It worked well for first 4-5 hours but then after terminating a phone call when I put it back to my pocket problem started. I searched many forums for solution then I decided to re-install from image. I connected my phone to My PC (Which had driver installed & fastBoot setup) dramatically my phone started working well. And I detached my phone from PC. So I thought it might solved because after supplying charging. But after 3-4 hours it started again so I directly plugged in to electric socket but it kept on rebooting. Then I turned on my PC and attached my nexus 5 with it. Again it started dramatically.

Still I don't know the exact reason behind it. But good new is my phone is still working since last 16 hours... But I took care of not to launch some apps listed risky for developer's preview. So I thing some incompatible app launch may be a reason... but still its only "may be"

---------- Post added at 05:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:42 AM ----------

I had this same problem.. It constantly rebooted and wouldn't let me get into recovery.. Every time I plugged in the charger it would reboot also. You have to let the battery completely drain.. I gave it a couple weeks.. then tried it again and it worked.

If it happens again try what I just answered and let us know if it worked for you? So we can come to know if solution was nexus 5 specific or android L specific. Also mention the OS version, please.

Mar 9, 2010
Well same thing started to happening with me yesterday after installing android L's developers' preview in my nexus 5. It worked well for first 4-5 hours but then after terminating a phone call when I put it back to my pocket problem started. I searched many forums for solution then I decided to re-install from image. I connected my phone to My PC (Which had driver installed & fastBoot setup) dramatically my phone started working well. And I detached my phone from PC. So I thought it might solved because after supplying charging. But after 3-4 hours it started again so I directly plugged in to electric socket but it kept on rebooting. Then I turned on my PC and attached my nexus 5 with it. Again it started dramatically.

Still I don't know the exact reason behind it. But good new is my phone is still working since last 16 hours... But I took care of not to launch some apps listed risky for developer's preview. So I thing some incompatible app launch may be a reason... but still its only "may be"

---------- Post added at 05:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:42 AM ----------

If it happens again try what I just answered and let us know if it worked for you? So we can come to know if solution was nexus 5 specific or android L specific. Also mention the OS version, please.

Thats very strange..since it started happening to me since yesterday. I managed to flash it again (and that i suppose should have cleared everything) but problem persists. Ill now try to restore factory image.

ironclad1911

Jun 22, 2014
same thing happened with me one month ago............tried everything except opening it up and finally i got it replaced.................you cannot fix it on ur own take it to a service center asap........thank me if this helps!!

Mar 9, 2010
same thing happened with me one month ago............tried everything except opening it up and finally i got it replaced.................you cannot fix it on ur own take it to a service center asap........thank me if this helps!!

Thanks. I restored it to the original nexus 5 build - but nothing seems to fix the problem. will reach out to service center.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Happened to me 20 minutes ago!

This method worked for me!
    "To anyone reading this who is experiencing the same problem:
    Basically, just take your case off and flick the power button hard with your finger (flick, not press), and also press it quickly a couple of times. This should be enough to no longer have your power button be stuck."

I hope i don't get the same issue again!
    After trying all suggestions.
    Only the above magnet trickery WORKED.

Magnet held at the power switch for 1second did the trick!!!!!

The only thing that gave any hope before this trick was a constant tapping at the back of the phone behind the power switch - this was not fool proof and allowed the phone to continue booting but as soon as you stop tapping it would reboot again.

I even disassembled the device to assess the switch on the motherboard, playing around gave no success with this attempt.
    (the switch its soldering and the board itself all looked healthy.)

Given the success with the magnet there is strong reason to believe the 2 metal contacts WITHIN the power switch itself were indeed stuck together -
    HENCE whenever you attempt to power on (without USB connected) it wouldn't power up BECAUSE the 2 contacts were already touching (hence the device wouldn't distinguish the power button being pressed.)

However when inserting the USB to the phone, the device as you'd expect TURNS ON automatically without needing to press the power button... BUT because the 2 contacts within the power switch were constantly touching this would induce a undesired Power Button Press (albeit without actually pressing the power button.)

This now makes sense that when applying a strong magnet in and around the Power Switch - releases the 2 contacts within the switch & therefore deems the power switch usable once again (for how long the switch continues to behave is unknown - perhaps we need to keep a magnet on our key-ring at all times haha.)

Great diagnosis @nxt.

Saved my girlfriend and I a lot of hassle.

Hope this helps anyone in the same predicament.

This is NOT s/w related - most definitely h/w related.
    This happened the me a few months ago. Google RMAed o e to me and overnighted a replacement. The weird thing is they sent me a label to return the phone to LG, then a day later they said not to use that label but use a new one and the new one was labeled to Google in Mountain View. I'm guessing it is happening a lot and Google wanted to look at it themselves.

Also I fixed mind with a couple magnets from a hard drive I took apart. I just kept playing with it around the power button, then having the phone sideways with the power button sitting on top of the magnet I was able to get it to boot up and flash back to stock, etc, then kept playing with it and problem went away. I emailed Google that I did that and sent the phone back anyways.
    Tried that already. No change. Any other ideas?
    You have a fauilty or a stucked power key.

If it is just stucked then you can unstuck it by abusing the power key or taking the phone apart.

If it is fauilty then you have to claim your warranty.

If you disassemble the phone you will void your warranty

http://youtu.be/FEixpssggCY