[CHROME-EXTENSION] Thundercast

Search This thread

bio-xda

Apr 30, 2014
I'm writing an extension to send various contents from the web to the chromecast. If you are brave enough you can give it a try.

Update 0.8 (the new version is taking shape)
Major changes: new name. : )
Minor changes: the UI is more conventional but is the result of the code simplification and allows avoiding some operations, like javascript injections.

To install the extension you have to drag and drop the crx file in the extensions tab (chrome://extensions)
If you use the stable channel of chrome, google will likely block the extension soon after the first restart of the browser. In that case, to use it further, I suggest installing chrome canary.

dropbox link: goo.gl/kgatdZ

PS: forgive my English

Last edited:

albanodesign

Jan 26, 2012
tirane
I’ve written a chrome extension I use to send various contents from the web to the chromecast. If you are brave enough you can give it a try.

To install the extension you have to drag and drop the crx file in the extensions tab (chrome://extensions)

What does it do more than google cast?

Flowah

Feb 18, 2010
Basically it forces the use of the cast API so your pc won’t act as the server of the video but only as the remote controller, mimic the behavior of youtube in websites that don’t support chromecast.

Does that have any advantages? I notice that often, casting the entire tab of a screen playing a video makes it tough on my Chromecast whereas the Youtube implementation works pretty smoothly. Does using your version make it smoother?

bhiga

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 13, 2010
Does that have any advantages? I notice that often, casting the entire tab of a screen playing a video makes it tough on my Chromecast whereas the Youtube implementation works pretty smoothly. Does using your version make it smoother?
It should, as the extension is telling Chromecast to go grab the media directly, rather than your PC trying to encode from the screen and send the (re)encoded video to Chromecast.

ckret

Sep 22, 2010
its working good
but i also have to have the cc extensionn running to cast directly to cc
would be nice if that is automatic

kawaiichi

Dec 13, 2013
I tried at yify.tv, doesn't work, extension always fail to transfer source to chromecast with the red ! sign on the extension icon.

bio-xda

Apr 30, 2014
I tried at yify.tv, doesn't work, extension always fail to transfer source to chromecast with the red ! sign on the extension icon.

Unfortunately you’re right, I’ve never had to deal with video urls like theirs. There are many things that need to be improved, i hope to find the time

smue83

Oct 11, 2012
Awesome extension... exactly what i was looking for... my mother just has an old slow laptop n with this extension streaming simple flash streams works like a charm. With google cast its realy realy laggy.. so thnx n keep on working :)

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9300 mit Tapatalk

Reactions: bio-xda

bio-xda

Apr 30, 2014
nice!

but how I use? just enable and cast with google cast?

While thundercast is enabled you should see a big, ugly button over the videos. It will cast the video if chromecast support its format, otherwise you can always download it.

Btw, i'm rewriting the extension from scratch and will be very different. My intention is to release it in the store, but it's not going to happen soon.
Maybe this thread can be closed, but i have a thing for the user of xda i'd like to share when the new version is ready.

Ps: sorry i didn't get (or i lost) the notification from the forum

bhiga

Oct 13, 2010
While thundercast is enabled you should see a big, ugly button over the videos. It will cast the video if chromecast support its format, otherwise you can always download it.

Btw, i'm rewriting the extension from scratch and will be very different. My intention is to release it in the store, but it's not going to happen soon.
Maybe this thread can be closed, but i have a thing for the user of xda i'd like to share when the new version is ready.

I'm liking the current version already. Looking forward to what you cook up in the revamp!

bio-xda

Apr 30, 2014
Update 0.8

screen-0.8.JPG

Reactions: williamfold

jasenko

Jan 10, 2013
This has become one of my favourite extensions. Looking forward to try out when I get home. Any chance to release it to the store, it is really painful to come back here and update manually every time a new version is out or if I want to install it on my other devices

www1

Feb 20, 2010
Sassari (Sardinia)
This version seem fantastic. I hope it reduce the lag that official chromecast extension give in flash video on chrome.
I try to use it.

Inviato dal mio GT-I9505 utilizzando Tapatalk

bio-xda

Apr 30, 2014
About the store, I haven’t decided yet. There are some (few) things I want to improve before but I'm having issues with the chromecast. It has such a poor wifi reception I have to carefully position the tv to get it work and, in these days, with the heat, things seem even worse. It’s becoming a bit frustrating…

bhiga

Oct 13, 2010
About the store, I haven’t decided yet. There are some (few) things I want to improve before but I'm having issues with the chromecast. It has such a poor wifi reception I have to carefully position the tv to get it work and, in these days, with the heat, things seem even worse. It’s becoming a bit frustrating…
An HDMI extension (if the included one isn't sufficient) can do wonders for getting Chromecast away from the TV and into a better reception zone. Even a 3-foot (1-meter) cable can help tremendously. TVs are very bad with signal reflection and interference.

amkhafaga

Mar 31, 2014
Is live streaming websites supported by this extension? I tried to use it with livestation no luck
Also tried it with file drive and did not see cast icon

adamrazo1985

Jul 4, 2014
Where do we get this extension

WHere do we download this extension, I do not find it on the Chrome Extension site???

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm writing an extension to send various contents from the web to the chromecast. If you are brave enough you can give it a try.

Update 0.8 (the new version is taking shape)
    Major changes: new name. : )
    Minor changes: the UI is more conventional but is the result of the code simplification and allows avoiding some operations, like javascript injections.

If you use the stable channel of chrome, google will likely block the extension soon after the first restart of the browser. In that case, to use it further, I suggest installing chrome canary.

It should, as the extension is telling Chromecast to go grab the media directly, rather than your PC trying to encode from the screen and send the (re)encoded video to Chromecast.
    nice!

but how I use? just enable and cast with google cast?

Awesome extension... exactly what i was looking for... my mother just has an old slow laptop n with this extension streaming simple flash streams works like a charm. With google cast its realy realy laggy.. so thnx n keep on working :)

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9300 mit Tapatalk