[Q] adb driver for nookcolor on windows 7

Search This thread

marchingknight11

Dec 29, 2011
Apologies if this is already posted somewhere. just point me to the link and I'll take a look, but everything I have tried so far has failed.

I have been trying to get adb working on my NookColor under Windows 7. I am running a rooted 1.4.2 stock image. I installed the sdk by following the guide at http://nookdevs.com/NookColor_USB_ADB, but when I get to step III.3.1, the device does not show up where the guide tells me it should. I gget a myNOOKcolor device under Portable Devices instead. I tried following the same procedure for this device, but when I get to step III.3.2.3, I get an error message saying "The folder you specified doesn't contain a compatible software driver for your device. If the folder contains a driver, make sure it is designed to work with Windows for x64-based systems."

I was able to follow the same procedure to install the driver for my MyTouch 4g. It looks to me like the problem s that Windows identifies my Nook as a portable storage device, rather than an unidentified device type, like my MyTouch was. I've tried uninstalling the driver, but it just reinstalls itself when I unplug and plug the device back in.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
Apologies if this is already posted somewhere. just point me to the link and I'll take a look, but everything I have tried so far has failed.

I have been trying to get adb working on my NookColor under Windows 7. I am running a rooted 1.4.2 stock image. I installed the sdk by following the guide at http://nookdevs.com/NookColor_USB_ADB, but when I get to step III.3.1, the device does not show up where the guide tells me it should. I gget a myNOOKcolor device under Portable Devices instead. I tried following the same procedure for this device, but when I get to step III.3.2.3, I get an error message saying "The folder you specified doesn't contain a compatible software driver for your device. If the folder contains a driver, make sure it is designed to work with Windows for x64-based systems."

I was able to follow the same procedure to install the driver for my MyTouch 4g. It looks to me like the problem s that Windows identifies my Nook as a portable storage device, rather than an unidentified device type, like my MyTouch was. I've tried uninstalling the driver, but it just reinstalls itself when I unplug and plug the device back in.

I think the problem is the device id. I posted a workaround for CM9. It might be the same for your upgraded stock. See if my post helps. Look here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=21665649

Reactions: marchingknight11

marchingknight11

Dec 29, 2011
I think the problem is the device id. I posted a workaround for CM9. It might be the same for your upgraded stock. See if my post helps. Look here:

Thanks for the post!

I looked at your workaround and it did not help. There is no nook entry under "Other Devices" in the device manager. the only entry for my nook is the "myNOOKcolor" under portable devices. When I right click on that and go to details, there is no device id listed.

Is there any chance that I may need to revert to 1.4.1 in order for this to work?

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
Thanks for the post!

I looked at your workaround and it did not help. There is no nook entry under "Other Devices" in the device manager. the only entry for my nook is the "myNOOKcolor" under portable devices. When I right click on that and go to details, there is no device id listed.

Is there any chance that I may need to revert to 1.4.1 in order for this to work?
With CM9, you have to be sure to have usb debugging turned on before the device will show up. That guide was written for an earlier version of the stock software. Is there anything like that in your stock software? Do you have to install nook tools to get at the setting? It's been a long time since I played with stock and the software has changed.

Edit: There is an alternate script listed in that referenced page you listed. Did you try that?

Last edited:

marchingknight11

Dec 29, 2011
With CM9, you have to be sure to have usb debugging turned on before the device will show up. That guide was written for an earlier version of the stock software. Is there anything like that in your stock software? Do you have to install nook tools to get at the setting? It's been a long time since I played with stock and the software has changed.

Edit: There is an alternate script listed in that referenced page you listed. Did you try that?

I have trtied all the troubleshooting steps in that page, if that's what you mean. Nothing has worked for me so far. I have tried disabling automount and usb debugging, to no avail.

I guess I should ask a new question. If I create a bootable CM7/CM9 sd card, will I be able to copy apk's to /system/app on my nook? That is really the only reason I need adb to work, so I can install non market apps.

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
I have trtied all the troubleshooting steps in that page, if that's what you mean. Nothing has worked for me so far. I have tried disabling automount and usb debugging, to no avail.

I guess I should ask a new question. If I create a bootable CM7/CM9 sd card, will I be able to copy apk's to /system/app on my nook? That is really the only reason I need adb to work, so I can install non market apps.
Yes, but with difficulty. But you don't really want to install to /system, you want to install to /data (on emmc, which is the difficulty doing it from SD). You can use terminal emulator in CM7 to copy the files to emmc /data/apps. You first have to mount emmc /data. If you want to try that, I can help you.

Sent from my Nook Color running ICS and Tapatalk

marchingknight11

Dec 29, 2011
Yes, but with difficulty. But you don't really want to install to /system, you want to install to /data (on emmc, which is the difficulty doing it from SD). You can use terminal emulator in CM7 to copy the files to emmc /data/apps. You first have to mount emmc /data. If you want to try that, I can help you.

Well something else actually occurred to me. Will I be able to copy apps to my sdcard (not the CM7 bootable, just a regular sd card), then copy them to /data/app using root explorer? If I can do that, there there's really no problem, I'll just have to deal with the fact that adb doesn't work.

If I can't do that, then yes, please help me do it using a bootable sd

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
Well something else actually occurred to me. Will I be able to copy apps to my sdcard (not the CM7 bootable, just a regular sd card), then copy them to /data/app using root explorer? If I can do that, there there's really no problem, I'll just have to deal with the fact that adb doesn't work.

If you have root explorer working on emmc, yes you can do it that way. You can actually have root explorer just install for you also.

Droidatar

Jan 23, 2012

I am using CM10 on my nook color after spending 8+ hours yesterday finally being able to get back to where I started. I can again see my nook and the card but it is now showing up under portable devices. I used to have them listed as drives. this is fine as I have access to the card after I click on the nook in File explorer. I would like it the previous set-up just because Calibre has my card and device flipped and its easy to confuse me. I learned that if I can label my nook f and the card g Calibre will think the first letter is the main drive.

My original reason for this post: I can not find where to disable the automount in CM10 can you tell me where you disabled it? and if anyone can wave their magic wand and get me back to where I can name my nook and card THANKS:fingers-crossed:

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
I am using CM10 on my nook color after spending 8+ hours yesterday finally being able to get back to where I started. I can again see my nook and the card but it is now showing up under portable devices. I used to have them listed as drives. this is fine as I have access to the card after I click on the nook in File explorer. I would like it the previous set-up just because Calibre has my card and device flipped and its easy to confuse me. I learned that if I can label my nook f and the card g Calibre will think the first letter is the main drive.

My original reason for this post: I can not find where to disable the automount in CM10 can you tell me where you disabled it? and if anyone can wave their magic wand and get me back to where I can name my nook and card THANKS:fingers-crossed:

You need to activate USB Mass Storage in CM10. It uses MTP by default. Go to settings, storage, menu, USB computer connection and check off Mass Storage rather than MTP. Then they show up as drive letters instead of under portable devices. You may also have to activate in the notification area.

And I think in Windows you can control what the drive letters are. Go to manage computer and select disk management and you can change the drive letters.

Sent from my Nook HD+ Running CM10 on SD

Last edited:

Droidatar

Jan 23, 2012
You need to activate USB Mass Storage in CM10. It uses MTP by default. Go to settings, storage, menu, USB computer connection and check off Mass Storage rather than MTP. Then they show up as drive letters instead of under portable devices. You may also have to activate in the notification area.

And I think in Windows you can control what the drive letters are. Go to manage computer and select disk management and you can change the drive letters.

Sent from my Nook HD+ Running CM10 on SD

THANK YOU, so very much it has been driving me crazy. I knew where that was to change it to mass storage but I just never guessed to hit menu. After I read your post I saw the tiny 3 dots in top right. I really should just wear my glasses :)

and Yes I have changed the letters in the past as you have noted. However it seems a mute point Calibre just released a new version that lets me correct that problem. However it's nice to have the mass storage issue fixed.

Thanks again

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks for the post!

If you have root explorer working on emmc, yes you can do it that way. You can actually have root explorer just install for you also.