[Q][off topic] Will LG G3 have locked bootloader?

Search This thread

CZ Eddie

Sep 27, 2011
Austin, TX
I realize nobody here actually KNOWS if it will be locked or not.
But as an AT&T Samsung guy of the last few years, I can pretty much guarantee you the Galaxy Note 4 will have a locked bootloader when it arrives in a few months. Bank on it! Nobody will be flashing AOSP on it.

But I don't know anything about LG's history at AT&T. Do you guys think it will have a locked bootloader, and no chance of flashing CyanogenMOD/AOSP type ROM's?

And if you think you can give a probable answer on the same question for T-Mobile LG G3, that would be helpful also.

XxZombiePikachu

Jul 25, 2013
Florida
I realize nobody here actually KNOWS if it will be locked or not.
But as an AT&T Samsung guy of the last few years, I can pretty much guarantee you the Galaxy Note 4 will have a locked bootloader when it arrives in a few months. Bank on it! Nobody will be flashing AOSP on it.

But I don't know anything about LG's history at AT&T. Do you guys think it will have a locked bootloader, and no chance of flashing CyanogenMOD/AOSP type ROM's?

And if you think you can give a probable answer on the same question for T-Mobile LG G3, that would be helpful also.

You do know that LG G2 has locked bootloader so that can guarantee a locked bootloader on the G3, and just because they have locked bootloaders it doesn't mean there won't be any flashing the community will always find a way

Sent from LG-D800 on D80020k stock+root

CZ Eddie

Sep 27, 2011
Austin, TX
You do know that LG G2 has locked bootloader

Sorry, I tried to give the impression that I did not know anything about the LG G2.

just because they have locked bootloaders it doesn't mean there won't be any flashing the community will always find a way

Yeah, tell that to the poor AT&T Galaxy S4 guys. Anyone who didn't buy the S4 in the first couple months is still waiting, ~ten months later, for the ability to flash AOSP.

Same goes for the AT&T Note 3 people.

XxZombiePikachu

Jul 25, 2013
Florida
Yeah, tell that to the poor AT&T Galaxy S4 guys. Anyone who didn't buy the S4 in the first couple months is still waiting, ~ten months later, for the ability to flash AOSP.

well sorry I speak from the scene I'm in and that's the g2 and we have had a locked bootloader from the very beginning but then devs found an exploit in the bootloader which allowed a "fix" and allowed us to flash custom roms/kernels even now we have kk and currently there is no exploit for bootloader but we do have a loophole, the lg g flex came out with a locked bootloader and it has custom recovery but kk is still being worked on, and as for Samsung they have always tried to beef up security so I could see why things would be more difficult but who knows maybe the note 4 won't be so bad(for all we know it could be running tizen os)

Reactions: CZ Eddie

CrashTestDroid

Jul 12, 2013
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Google Pixel 8
The problem with locked bootloaders is that it cripples the phone's first few months (at least) by preventing devs from making anything useful. Then by the time the bootloader is worked around, you've got a whole new crop of hardware and the old stuff isn't interesting anymore. Apple's the worst, but Samsung is trying hard to supplant Apple as the anti-developer king. Now's the time for LG to steal Samsung's lunch by unlocking bootloaders and getting a broader developer base and CM support.

Reactions: noobchef

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

well sorry I speak from the scene I'm in and that's the g2 and we have had a locked bootloader from the very beginning but then devs found an exploit in the bootloader which allowed a "fix" and allowed us to flash custom roms/kernels even now we have kk and currently there is no exploit for bootloader but we do have a loophole, the lg g flex came out with a locked bootloader and it has custom recovery but kk is still being worked on, and as for Samsung they have always tried to beef up security so I could see why things would be more difficult but who knows maybe the note 4 won't be so bad(for all we know it could be running tizen os)
    The problem with locked bootloaders is that it cripples the phone's first few months (at least) by preventing devs from making anything useful. Then by the time the bootloader is worked around, you've got a whole new crop of hardware and the old stuff isn't interesting anymore. Apple's the worst, but Samsung is trying hard to supplant Apple as the anti-developer king. Now's the time for LG to steal Samsung's lunch by unlocking bootloaders and getting a broader developer base and CM support.