[GUIDE] Possible FIX for the infamous eMMC problem..

Search This thread

Jack_R1

Aug 9, 2009
You can try removing and reinserting the battery when "rebooting to bootloader" shows in RUU, and booting to bootloader manually (with VolDown+Power), see if it helps.

|=>AmuzZ<=|

Jun 24, 2011
Moshi
well i did that also tried removing the battery while it said rebooting bootloader i removed the battery but the phone was still on till i unpluged the usb phone turned of i loaded the bootloader again and repluged the usb after some time it gave me a connection error ...

---------- Post added at 09:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 PM ----------

ok i don now some how the xtracted file from the ruu i put it in the sdcard and it got detected it cked everythin n brot me do you want to start update (vol up) yes (vol down) no i pressed vol up and it started but it now stuck on bootloader updating

IMAG0106.jpg

http://s16.postimage.org/d4ny1xaph/IMAG0106.jpg

TheOldMonk

Mar 19, 2012
127.0.0.1 [TH/IN]
Your bootloader partition is also corrupted.
That means, your phone is dead.

can't he just try re-flashing his HBOOT/bootloader? shouldn't tht fix his prob? maybe give him a chance to re-flash an RUU?

ok..idk but this right here of how to s-ON and install an RUU removing just everything..revolutionary, CWM..u name it; just like a real stock phone :D

Hope this helps.. :)

Jack_R1

Aug 9, 2009
I see, you need a hand to walk you through the most basic operations on the phone, but suddenly you feel yourself smart enough to comment. Wow. As I wrote - let's all feel smart today, eh?

Flashing RUU actually FLASHES THE BOOTLOADER, somewhere between FLASHING ALL OF PHONE'S PARTITIONS. So, instead of flashing the bootloader as a part of RUU, you're suggesting him to flash the bootloader separately, in exactly the same way, yes? And that will help him how exactly? By failing the signature check, because his phone is S-ON?

Do your homework and try understanding something before posting.

amidabuddha

Jun 26, 2011

Sorry but that is just not true...

so theres nothin i can do?

Hey man what logic makes you think that flashing an EUROPEAN RUU while you live and probably bought your phone in Tansania will solve your problem?

Connect the phone to a PC (you have to setup fastboot command and have the HTC drivers installed also - check the guide in my signature)

then open command prompt /cmd/ on your PC and type:
Code:
fastboot getvar version-main

the output will be a number like 1.28.401.1
Search in the RUU thread for the one with the same number, or at least the same third group (like 401 in the example). Download and flash this and hopefully if the battery pull didn't destroyed your eMMC your phone will be stock again.
Also as additional verification you can check the CID also:
Code:
fastboot getvar cidnum
If you are branded the output will contain something like T-MOB... or VODAF...

The procedure to revert to stock is described in details in the other guide in my signature (about the eMMC issue) you may want to read that too.

Good luck

Last edited:
Reactions: baraev

Jack_R1

Aug 9, 2009

Sorry, but I'm afraid you have no idea what you're writing about. I know far more about MT4G, but DS isn't quite different.

1) There are no HW differences in Desire S, it's a single phone all over the world. The only differences are SW and branding (CID). So it doesn't matter where he bought the phone and where he lives.

2) Flashing ABSOLUTELY ANY RUU will work if the phone is SuperCID (unluckily, Desire S is the only phone of the DHD/DS/DZ/G2/MT4G series (all being very similar platform) that wasn't covered by gfree, so it has no SuperCID). But goldcard has the same effect, allowing flashing any RUU over any CID. Both aren't the case here - the guy has correct RUU for his CID, otherwise he wouldn't be able to flash it.

3) When RUU hangs on updating any partition during the update itself - it's effectively the same as if it stopped and wrote the ill-famous "Fail-PU". It means that the RUU has already performed all the checks and the actual update started, but the NAND couldn't be written past some point.

Moreover, look at this:
on a NOTE: wen i but into bootloader and scroll down to the option reboot bootloader and i select it my phone totally freezes nothin happen till i remove the battery.
This alone should have explained you that the problem is far from being wrong RUU.

Last edited:

amidabuddha

Jun 26, 2011
Hahaha please go to the MT4G forums

We do not need expert like you around.

Nearly all the thanks in my thanks meter is from solving problems with bricked Desire S devices. If you had made the effort to check the linked guides you would have known that.
Parsing the bootloader comes when you are using a wrong RUU man, so GTFO with your clever and helpful "you have bricked your phone irreversible for ever and ever" advices :)

Haha lol expert !

Jack_R1

Aug 9, 2009
"Parsing the bootloader" never happens, I guess you're blind or can't read the man's screen.
"Parsing the ZIP" happens when someone decides to use the P****.ZIP method instead of direct .EXE or fastboot oem RUU flash. BTW, on MT4G it's the only way to flash - since there's no RUU.exe in existence. Knowing other phones helps.

By the way, if you could actually read my post above, you'd know why it stands on "Updating". When updating HBOOT, it needs to reboot itself - that's the first thing that happens when flashing P****.ZIP RUU. Since the phone can't execute "reboot bootloader" - it gets stuck, it can't continue the flash.

Now, instead of being &^%@&#^%$ like you are, you could have suggested to use fastboot oem rebootruu. Maybe that would be more useful than bad-mouthing.

amidabuddha

Jun 26, 2011
Exactly having some experience I started as I always do :
first I need some info, therefor I gave him the commands
the next step will be based on that info
Obviously you have some knowledge, but this process is not straight forward. There are various reasons for a such brick as well as various resolutions
I just pissed me off with the deffinite conclusion of yours about the corrupted bootloader. This is definately not the right approach. And you are definately not right about the region specific RUUs
Every action has the proportional reaction - my frustration came from your post. If cannot help better restrain from posting negative stuff. The Desire S forum here is known with a helpfull and friendly attitude but recently a lot of "know-it-all" guys started to hang around spoiling the community.
I hope you understood me right

Sent from my HTC Desire S

Jack_R1

Aug 9, 2009
I think it's worth trying other ways, but in any case, just to share knowledge:
There have been a few cases till now in MT4G forum with the phone showing all signs of eMMC corruption that couldn't be taken care of with formatting partitions in recovery (which is half the way to bad eMMC diagnosis), and when trying to flash RUU - instead of the standard "Fail-PU", the update just got stuck on certain partition (not always bootloader - also /boot, /system, /userdata, and once I remember even /recovery). There was absolutely no way to flash or format this specific partition using any means - all got stuck, so in fact, while not showing the "classic" (Fail-PU) symptops of dead eMMC, it was just as good as dead. Which, I'm afraid, might be the case here.

Though it definitely won't hurt the phone owner to try additional ways of reviving the phone. In the worst case my diagnosis will be confirmed, and in the best case he'll get his phone to function again and I'll learn something new.

Last edited:

Jack_R1

Aug 9, 2009
GoldCard either already helped you or wasn't necessary. You wouldn't get to "updating" part if the PG88IMG.ZIP was with incompatible RUU and without goldcard.
Also, please try "fastboot oem rebootruu" way of flashing RUU:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1178912
Look at "Fastboot downgrade" section.

Last edited:

Jack_R1

Aug 9, 2009
You're not following the guide. If you expect any help - follow the guide and write when something goes wrong.

kenkitt

Jul 16, 2013
I've been facing issues trying to install roms for desire s, unfortunately most of the roms I download don't work, I only see htc logo then phones screen goes off, am sure the phone is not off since power button does not respond at this time.
I am S-OFF and on 7.0.... hboot with TWRP recovery, and have use revolutionary hboot too.
The only two roms that have worked so far are official ics which am currently using and cm-7.2.0-saga.zip.
Unfortunately the official ics has no usb debugging mass storage and all usb related stuff, I have tried activating them manually with no luck.
While the working cynogenmod 7.2 works perfectly only it's too old.
I am even considering looking for the official ICS kernel sources and compile them myself to solve the usb issues.
Anyway I happen to come across a this problem "error mounting cache" in recovery, I almost thought am done for, anyway a TWRP restore fixed it so I think it has something to do with partition related problem.
Anyway I was just wondering which rom to download next.
I have tried.
cm-10.1-20131110-UNOFFICIAL-saga.zip <-------------black screen after htc logo
cm-10-20121116-EXPERIMENTAL-saga-NK111.zip<------same as above
cm-7.2.0-saga.zip. <-----------Wow atleast the updater script are similar so it couldn't be a TWRP issue since this one works.
Official RUU ICS <----Via the PB89..... zip thing works, I almost thought I might be stuck on 2.3.7 or lesser.

EDIT:
I always do a full wipe, data, dalvik cache,asec and cache.

Linleteaim

Feb 13, 2019
My HTC 816 is dead ..
At first, my phone restart when connected Internet
I did reset my ph, and data and apps are still , they can't delete or uninstall .
I try to root it my pc , and then " htc logo" only display and now dead..
How I can repair.
When it connect pc, pc notic "usb not reconized "

Help me

Jacob420rw

Feb 13, 2021
Here in a few im going to reread this forum and in hoping it fixes my phone. Just got it had to remove a screen pattern. At least they removed there google account. The phone was perfect the metropcs unlock carrier app even worked. Then i updated everything, took off random dumb metropcs apps. It system updated and says i encrypted my files and to enter a password that was never created. When i try to reset it now can't mount nodes and other things i dont understand. The phone was good jjst sitting there charging and bam... If you see anything in the pics that you think might help me please please please let me know. So many androids ive had this cant be my 1st brick.

Attachments

• IMG_20210212_213617808.jpg
    IMG_20210212_213617808.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20210212_213631469.jpg
    IMG_20210212_213631469.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 14

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    All Desire S users should know about the infamous error message:
    E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/command
    E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/log
    E:Can't open /cache/recovery/log
    E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/last_log
    E:Can't open /cache/recovery/last_log
    this is the so called eMMC fried chip, etc.. This is actually the "cache" partition being corrupted..

I myself have already received this error NUMEROUS times when tinkering with my phone..

The fix..?

Here's my method:
    1. remove the battery for 30secs to 1 minute and putting it back in

2. boot directly to your bootloader, then go to recovery

3. If you haven't received the errors, your cache will be formatted to EXT3, try formatting it to ext4 if need be

4. I wipe everything (all partitions) including dalvik cache and battery stat

5. flash your rom again, cross your fingers and hope for the best..
    Based on experience: Even the RUUs will tell you to unplug your battery for 3secs if RUU had some problem.

Some additional info:
    You should be able to change your recovery without any problem if your s-off or unlocked 2.xx.xx hboot s-on.

1. Get 4ext recovery.img

2. connect phone on fastboot

3. In cmd use these command to push the recovery image:

fastboot flash recovery D:\recovery.img (<- should be directory of 4ext recovery image)

fastboot reboot-bootloader

Now you should have 4ext recovery.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using XDA App
    And...
    I do not think that you can use fastboot flash whatewer without an engineering bootloader (requires s-off) or push images with adb without su (requires rooting). This is the point of all the guides and tutorials around here...
    You actually can.. Check my sig.. I have already flashed a stock recovery then back to 4EXT many times.. I am on OFFICIAL HBOOT from the 2.10.401.4 update..

flashing OFFICIAL RUUs prior to latest hboot didn't work for me as the HBOOT seems to be un-writable to old HBOOTs. I haven't tried revolutionary's 6.xx.xx HBOOT though..

I am on unrooted STOCK RUU when I tried to flash the update forcefully. HBOOT and RECOVERY got updated so got me stock on HTC logo (without the "quietly brilliant") means ROM is not booting.

That is the method I used to revive my phone.

Edit:
    "Unlocking" my S-ON could've helped me..
    Also..
    Ok taking my words back :) And how do you did this? You flashed the Stock 2.10.401.4 ROM over you bricked phone and it worked? (overwritted the revolutionary hboot or which version was it before?).

To make the long story short:

I stupidly get the firmware.zip file inside the ota file. That file had the latest hboot, recovery, and others. I renamed it to the correct pgxxximg.zip (cant remember the correct filename, currently drinking :) ) to flash it from bootloader.

Everything went well. Everything inside the file updated the corresponding file/partition/image to my phone. Hence letting me be stuck to the "locked" hboot 2.xx.xx s-on. ROM wouldn't boot as I said.

Being on the "locked" state wouldn't allow me to flash anything on the phone as far as i can remember. While writing, it will say has its unsuccessful.

But "unlocking" the hboot let me flash the recovery.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using XDA App
    OMFG, this is a solution for eMMC fries on G2 (desire Z) - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1572924 Anyone wanna test on Saga?
    This look promissing.

Since my bricked DS is S-On do I need a gold card?

Not necessarily, you just need to unlock your hboot..

so theres nothin i can do?

Hey man what logic makes you think that flashing an EUROPEAN RUU while you live and probably bought your phone in Tansania will solve your problem?

Connect the phone to a PC (you have to setup fastboot command and have the HTC drivers installed also - check the guide in my signature)

then open command prompt /cmd/ on your PC and type:
    Code:
    fastboot getvar version-main

the output will be a number like 1.28.401.1
    Search in the RUU thread for the one with the same number, or at least the same third group (like 401 in the example). Download and flash this and hopefully if the battery pull didn't destroyed your eMMC your phone will be stock again.
    Also as additional verification you can check the CID also:
    Code:
    fastboot getvar cidnum
    If you are branded the output will contain something like T-MOB... or VODAF...

The procedure to revert to stock is described in details in the other guide in my signature (about the eMMC issue) you may want to read that too.

Good luck