[Q] Can't install apk files.

Search This thread

InTheater

Mar 3, 2007
i can;t install apks which i downloaded from getjar, 4sync, 1mobile etc, it is so crazy. Nothing happens when i hit the install button on the right, the only option is to hit the cancel on the left. But then when i visit samsung apps, i can install everything when i hit the install on the right. And also everything from google play. I think this happened after i updated online from gingerbread 2.3.6 to ICS. It's a shame if it';s samsung;s way to sabotage their samsung customers and force them to download away from getjar, 4sync etc...

31/712 i can install now everything is back to normal after i uninstalled an app called Video Ringtone Caller ID by senses developer

Mine was Batery MIX :
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.smapho.battery_mix

due to of having enabled a batery bar indicator :
rdyUqwkU7FDzWcPWElVaXlbVx1jzB0s9SyOKvLioXZIpEaQdVH3SMmQP3WuewACJj4Q

the funniest thing, is that Battery MIX already make a warning when enable it !! :eek: :eek: :eek:

"If you show battery remaining bar, you will not be able to install non-market application for security reasons. please acknowledge.
if you will install, please temporally hide the battery remaining bar"​

Of course, weeks after I install it, I forgot it.

But the questions is, why enabling some "over-screen-drawing" activate the security for installing non-market applications ? :eek: :eek:
Seems weird ...

Reactions: canclan and Faryds

pvyParts

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 11, 2010
Mine was Batery MIX :

the funniest thing, is that Battery MIX already make a warning when enable it !! :eek: :eek: :eek:

"If you show battery remaining bar, you will not be able to install non-market application for security reasons. please acknowledge.

But the questions is, why enabling some "over-screen-drawing" activate the security for installing non-market applications ? :eek: :eek:
Seems weird ...

Its pretty simple to fix but the Dev hasn't returned my emails. :)

The reasoning is pretty sound because you can change what the user sees and trick them into installing something different/evil.

Pvy

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Faryds

Mar 30, 2011
Dubai
THANKS!!!

Mine was Batery MIX :

Seems weird ...
Thank you very much. It was driving me insane reading all this solutions and none worked for me.

Valholy

Mar 24, 2011
OnePlus 7 Pro
Hi everyone got this same issue and its very annoying already tried killing all the services as told in previous posts and it wont let me do anything, I dont have any screen filter so i dont know what else I can do. Any help appreciated thanks.

Soundtrack to Chaos

Dec 12, 2012
Broooooooooklyn
Hi everyone got this same issue and its very annoying already tried killing all the services as told in previous posts and it wont let me do anything, I dont have any screen filter so i dont know what else I can do. Any help appreciated thanks.

What apps are currently running in your device? I found that certain other apps also cause this issue

Welcome to XDA, where 'if you don't have something good to say, don't say anything' doesn't apply. Enjoy your stay
:)

uhaty

Jan 15, 2010
Guys, in my case the app that was causing problems was "Twilight" - another screen dimmer (not THIS movie app ;) ). -
Uninstalled and now everything works again :)

Reactions: canclan

jparkerri

May 13, 2011
Still can't install apk on Nexus 7.

Guys, in my case the app that was causing problems was "Twilight" - another screen dimmer (not THIS movie app ;) ). -

I've been able to install my own apk files up until two days ago. All of a sudden, the install button just won't do anything like so many of the previous posts have described. I've done everything I've read in the posts and nothing works. I've stopped all the services. I've removed many unnecessary apps. I've tried using dropbox, USB but when it finally gets to the install button, it doesn't work.

Does anyone have a foolproof way of fixing this? I make apps with B4A and can't install them.

Thanks.

pvyParts

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 11, 2010
I've been able to install my own apk files up until two days ago. All of a sudden, the install button just won't do anything like so many of the previous posts have described. I've done everything I've read in the posts and nothing works. I've stopped all the services. I've removed many unnecessary apps. I've tried using dropbox, USB but when it finally gets to the install button, it doesn't work.

Does anyone have a foolproof way of fixing this? I make apps with B4A and can't install them.

Thanks.

There must be an app that is blocking it.

I'm pretty sure that the market won't show the install button unless it is happy so pretty sure the problem is not there.

What phone and is you running. Don't now what B4A is ( too tired to Google it ) but if it is just the write apps in c then it won't be that.

Have you tested the app on another device? If you don't have one pm me a link and I will tell you if it works on mine.

Surest way for now is find any apps that have the
display system alert
Or
Display system overlay

Permissions and remove them one at a time till you find it.

If your still stuck I had an idea for an app to test for this but it is hard to install with the problem happening Lol!!!

Pvy

Reactions: canclan

jparkerri

May 13, 2011
There must be an app that is blocking it.

I'm pretty sure that the market won't show the install button unless it is happy so pretty sure the problem is not there.

What phone and is you running. Don't now what B4A is ( too tired to Google it ) but if it is just the write apps in c then it won't be that.

Have you tested the app on another device? If you don't have one pm me a link and I will tell you if it works on mine.

Surest way for now is find any apps that have the
display system alert
Or
Display system overlay

Permissions and remove them one at a time till you find it.

If your still stuck I had an idea for an app to test for this but it is hard to install with the problem happening Lol!!!

Pvy

I'm running on a Nexus 7 tablet running the latest Android. I am able to load the same APK on my older Samsung Galaxy 7 Tab.
I'll look for the apps you mentioned.

Thanks.

rt235130

Mar 3, 2013
I encountered this when installing some game(Puzzle and Dragon a Japanese game), I think it is because the phone was rooted and it doesn't let u to install it

Sent from my LT18i using xda app-developers app

chismay

May 5, 2011
LONDON
i found a work around
plug in an external controller , mouse, whatever

then you can use navigation buttons to select install and it works :good::highfive:

ggreenwood334

For me. I was running the latest version of PA. May 24 version I believe. With the Halo open i could not click install. Hold the halo down and remove it like an app from home screen. Also make sure "reverse HALO gestures" is on under settings-toolbar. that worked for me. This might have been addressed somewhere else but i did not find it. Thanks. (wow, i'm blink i guess, three posts above me. but my post says how to do it i guess. lol.)

Last edited:

canclan

Dec 14, 2007
It was the auto dimming app Twilight that was doing it to me. I force closed it and I could install apps again. Thanks everyone for all the contributions and explanations so that I could quickly figure out what was going on! XDA still rules!

Actually, I just force closed it and it worked fine. No need to uninstall.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Had the same issue, I could not click on "Install".

Deactivated "Screen Filter" - now its working again.
    It's the Services...

I posted this at forums a week ago. hope it helps somewhat.

it goes like this:

It's the Services indeed ! :)

Go to Settings/Apps/Running. That should show your running apps and also if those apps has a Process or Service running. Some of these running apps have a Process running but no Services running please note. If you click on the toggle on the top right most of your screen where it says "Show Cached Processes", it will then show you just the Services or "Show Running Services" that are running.

In my frustration, when I couldn't press INSTALL when trying to install apk files, I stopped all the running Services at that time. It worked ! but I'm sure anyone can do it more elegantly by doing it one at a time starting with those apps that you recently installed. Then when you find the offending app. Kindly send an email to the dev informing what you went through so as to avoid this inconvenience for others due to poor coding :)

Live your life so they say, I say relish it. ! :) (maybe from someone who was eating a hotdog in New York just before a truck ran over him ? bless his soul.)
    Incredible! I think its a bug in android. You cant install any apk if your screen light is 0 or minus. If you install "Screen filter" or "lux auto brightness" for example you have this bug in a dark room.
    Found the conflicting app: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=23861446&postcount=7

PvyParts, is it possible to fix this?
    i just flashed the lastest PA and now cant install apk. cant find wich app doing that.

If you have the latest PA rom just disable HALO feature and you will be able to install apk

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2