Android Home Phone, Binatone iDECT iHOME / Motorola HS1001

Search This thread

vinokirk

Mar 30, 2008
England
There doesn't seem to be a thread on XDA Dev for this exciting home phone, so I thought I'd create one. Quite weird actually, the first Android powered home phone and no ones talking about it!

I first caught wind of this just before Christmas 2010 and I thought WOW this looks cool! It does sound cool right?!
When I looked into it I thought it could have a bit better specs, but it's the first one out so I can only guess they are just publically testing the concept. Around November/December last year there were a lot of sites talking about it, but no one really had a hands on review, I though I'd wait till the new year, around January/February time till people have had a good mess around with it, but that time has been and gone, and a quick search on Google reveals no new news on it since early January :(

I don't actually have one myself but I would really like to get one just to try it out. But for £100 it's a tad to expensive for me at the moment. Its sold at Argos, Homebase used to sell it, but they don't list it on their website anymore.
If anyone has one please speak up!

Here are the quick stats:
-Android 1.6
-256MB internal memory
-SD Card Slot
-2.8" resistive touch screen (320x240)
-Wi-Fi

Argos link (+reviews): http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produ...5|Digital+phones+single+handsets|14418986.htm
Amazon link (+reviews): http://www.amazon.co.uk/Binatone-iH...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1299183948&sr=8-1
Binatone link: http://www.binatonetelecom.com/products/android-products/ihome-phone

From what I gather the Motorola HS1001 is practically the same phone.
There are some videos on youtube of the HS1001 in action.

Now I'm no Android expert but I'm no dunce either, so this question goes out to the real hardcore Android hackers out there:
When you get a brand new device and you want to 'open it up' to get different ROMs on there etc, what the first thing you do?
Do you find out how to get in the bootloader?
Do you hook it up to your PC and run ADB or Fastboot or some other tool?
Or something else altogether?

I'd guess it's easier if its a new HTC device or another well known manafacturer as you would assume it's quite like the HTC devices that have come before it, but what about if it's a new device from a newish manafacturer? Would you see if anyones hacked any devices that company have made before? I'm guessing it's also easier if the company releases the source for their phones version of Android.

Last edited:
Reactions: Danh2009

vinokirk

Mar 30, 2008
England
Lol, I think the lack of response answers a few of my questions :)

If there are any devs browsing this topic, I would still like some answers regarding the 'What do you do with a totally new device' questions.
I am looking at getting one of these phones eventually, and it looks like I will be the only one with it, so I'll be doing all the dev work myself from scratch :)

Danh2009

May 27, 2008
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Thanks for the info.

I never thought an "Android" "housephone" existed!

since im all go for converting the world to Android I would seriously LOVE to own one.

there is one left in the argos near me, but as you rightly stated £100 is a lot of money.

if i do invest in one i will post further information, just dont hold your breath!!

Thanks again.

vinokirk

Mar 30, 2008
England
I bought one of these phones last night and first impressions are pretty good! Its a little slow, but I'm comparing it to my SGS2 :D
Is there anyone else out there with this phone?
Whats the deal with Binatone not releasing the source code like the big phone companies do? I thought it was a requirement of the GPL?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There doesn't seem to be a thread on XDA Dev for this exciting home phone, so I thought I'd create one. Quite weird actually, the first Android powered home phone and no ones talking about it!

I first caught wind of this just before Christmas 2010 and I thought WOW this looks cool! It does sound cool right?!
    When I looked into it I thought it could have a bit better specs, but it's the first one out so I can only guess they are just publically testing the concept. Around November/December last year there were a lot of sites talking about it, but no one really had a hands on review, I though I'd wait till the new year, around January/February time till people have had a good mess around with it, but that time has been and gone, and a quick search on Google reveals no new news on it since early January :(

I don't actually have one myself but I would really like to get one just to try it out. But for £100 it's a tad to expensive for me at the moment. Its sold at Argos, Homebase used to sell it, but they don't list it on their website anymore.
    If anyone has one please speak up!

Here are the quick stats:
    -Android 1.6
    -256MB internal memory
    -SD Card Slot
    -2.8" resistive touch screen (320x240)
    -Wi-Fi

Argos link (+reviews): http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produ...5|Digital+phones+single+handsets|14418986.htm
    Amazon link (+reviews): http://www.amazon.co.uk/Binatone-iH...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1299183948&sr=8-1
    Binatone link: http://www.binatonetelecom.com/products/android-products/ihome-phone

From what I gather the Motorola HS1001 is practically the same phone.
    There are some videos on youtube of the HS1001 in action.

Now I'm no Android expert but I'm no dunce either, so this question goes out to the real hardcore Android hackers out there:
    When you get a brand new device and you want to 'open it up' to get different ROMs on there etc, what the first thing you do?
    Do you find out how to get in the bootloader?
    Do you hook it up to your PC and run ADB or Fastboot or some other tool?
    Or something else altogether?

I'd guess it's easier if its a new HTC device or another well known manafacturer as you would assume it's quite like the HTC devices that have come before it, but what about if it's a new device from a newish manafacturer? Would you see if anyones hacked any devices that company have made before? I'm guessing it's also easier if the company releases the source for their phones version of Android.