[ROM] [FROYO] EC03 Odin ROM

Search This thread

pastorbennett

Mar 12, 2010
Minnesota
Gb would be great. Hopefully whatever Gb leak the continuum gets (or maybe a cm7 port)does not have the SD card issues that my phone the fascinate has (not even the great jt 1134 can figure this one out). These galaxy s phones are a beast on aosp but the SD card debacle made me go back to tw (if I hadn't backed up my SD I would have lost two years worth of pictures). It's frustrating because I have experienced the little humming bird CPU running on demand governor instead of the silly conservative tw limits us to. Oh well, still great phones

Sent from my SCH-I500 using XDA App

If we do get GB on this phone, it probably won't be through a leak, but most likely developed from the GB source code. Samsung is one of the roadblocks, still, for the Continuum. Also, as far as I know, the stock kernel doesn't support OC'ing. I actually checked after downloading CpuBoostLite, and even though it would let me tweak the settings, there was no gain in performance. The Quadrant scores remained pretty much the same.

pastorbennett

Mar 12, 2010
Minnesota

Supposedly the site says it's the source code, but it only offers DL17. This might be helpful in getting CM7, but since I haven't written a line of code since I was in the 9th grade, circa 1993, I wouldn't know where to start. After 18 years, I'd say I know Greek and Hebrew better than programming!

EDIT - I'm no coding wiz like some of our forum benefactors, but I downloaded the DL17 open source file from that site, and it is indeed the code source for DL17.

Last edited:

laureanop

Aug 24, 2010
Los Angeles
I thought maybe the Fascinate kernels would be some help..?

Sent from my SCH-I400 using XDA App

Apparently screen resolution settings are embedded in the kernel, and given the differences in the displays size and lay out it's close to impossible to make it compatible. It could run but your screen would look a mess

Sent from my SCH-I500 using XDA App

jaizero

Oct 14, 2009
La Crosse, WI
Yes we know that... But we also know that the only difference between our kernel and the Fascinate kernel is the display driver module. All that needs to be changed is screen resolution and framebuffer size. So therefore we can use the Fascinate kernel as a reference on how to build our own future, possibly GB kernels. We could also use fascinate roms which could speed up development.

Of course we would lose the ticker but that may be an acceptable loss for some of us.

I believe that the Fascinates ED03 Froyo kernel is very similar to our EC03 build if not identical the only differences being the above display driver. I think this would be a good place to start if we wanted to use Fascinate roms with our kernels or vice versa.

Last edited:

Nuckin

Aug 7, 2011
Yes we know that... But we also know that the only difference between our kernel and the Fascinate kernel is the display driver module. All that needs to be changed is screen resolution and framebuffer size. So therefore we can use the Fascinate kernel as a reference on how to build our own future, possibly GB kernels. We could also use fascinate roms which could speed up development.

Of course we would lose the ticker but that may be an acceptable loss for some of us.

I believe that the Fascinates ED03 Froyo kernel is very similar to our EC03 build if not identical the only differences being the above display driver. I think this would be a good place to start if we wanted to use Fascinate roms with our kernels or vice versa.

Easier said than done, it's not as simple as changing the screen resolution and changing framebuffer size. We need another module to run our buttons and yet another for the ticker since the device really is 3 screens in one.

If we had GB source for the ticker and kernel, we'd be able to, but then again we wouldn't be having this conversation if we did.

TraMaI

Apr 29, 2011
Why wouldn't the 2.2 modules work? Did they change THAT much from Froyo to GB that we can't just use the old drivers?

pastorbennett

Mar 12, 2010
Minnesota
Pastorbennett when can we expect your super clean ROM?

My apologies that I haven't gotten it up yet. I have a parishioner who is literally on her deathbed, so it's been a busy week.

I had it uploaded and ready to go, until I ran into some fc issues. I'll be posting a Beta as soon as I get it figured out.

I have some crazy ideas for a future rom, but it probably won't be coming from me, since 1 month from today I get to order a DI2 from Wirefly for free. In the mean time, I'll be working to make this phone as usable as possible.

rkerrddd

Mar 21, 2011
hadley
everytime i put updat.zip on root of my sd and pwr into blue recovery it says update.zip gone at bottom and when i try to choose it, it fails. i have been putting the file on the root of my sd via my computer since i do not have root explorer on this phone (wifes phone) any ideas would be very helpfull thx guys

Weudel

Retired Forum Moderator
Jul 18, 2010
I never felt the need to update to EC07... Ran it from August to November with no issues.

Txwolf1980

Aug 13, 2011
Huntsville Tx
everytime i put updat.zip on root of my sd and pwr into blue recovery it says update.zip gone at bottom and when i try to choose it, it fails. i have been putting the file on the root of my sd via my computer since i do not have root explorer on this phone (wifes phone) any ideas would be very helpfull thx guys

You need to flash the cwm kernel in odin. it can be found here:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1316769
it is under the tools section
Recovery Bin (adryntest4.tar-odin flash):
as well as odin.

To flash: (everything I reference here can be found in the thread above)

1 download odin, and samsung drivers.
2 Install the drivers, following driver pack isntructions
3 unzip odin to your desktop, and open it.
4 place your phone into download mode by powering off, then holding vol down and power at the same time until you have a large yellow triange and "do not turn off target"
5 plug into your computer, and give the drivers a few seconds to do final install (you will get a message in your quicklaunch telling you when your 'device is ready to use')
6 odin should detect your device, and give you com and a couple of numbers in a small box, just underneath a larger one on the upper left corner.
7 click pda and find the recovery file you downloaded, and then click ok
8 make sure repartition and autoreboot are UNCHECKED. f. reset time doesn't matter.
9 hit start. it should take less than 10 seconds. when you get 'pass, reset and rqt closed you are done. I'd wait for removed as well. the pass and reset will appear in the large box in upper left, and the rqt closed and removed will be in the large box on the lower left.

reboot int recovery, then get into cwm as you have been trying.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First things first, all credit goes to imnuts for bringing us Froyo! I'm not going to name this anything special, since all I did was download a little from the market here, delete and replace a little there, and make an Odin image. Since I can't in good conscience take any donations for this, if you're so inclined to donate to anyone, donate to imnuts!

This is a modified build of the stock EC03 ROM. I'll spare you all the boring details and just give the main points. As an aside, I take no responsibility if you brick your phone! I've tested this myself on my own Continuum with the actual uploaded ROM, so I can confirm that this works, unless you have already completely screwed up your phone! I have included the link to One Touch Unbrick for such a scenario (credit to AdamOutler)

- I've replaced the TouchWiz launcher with Go Launcher
    - Stock browser has been replaced with Dolphin HD
    - Bing, MS Streets, VZW apps all removed
    - Google Search is the default, and Google Maps is included.
    - I haven't figured out how to open Google Voice Search with a long press on the search softkey, but the softkey does open up Google Search
    - When starting up, you may get a nag from Go Launcher. Don't worry, it will go away and you'll never see it again.
    - For some odd reason, once the shortcut buttons for Go Launcher appeared in the wrong place. If this happens, tap Menu, Preferences, Operation Settings, and check Screen rotation. This will fix it, and you can disable Screen rotation if you'd like

Here's some useful links for what you'll need. This way, you don't have to go searching through threads to get everything you need. To flash, do the following:
    1. Download the update.zip file and place it on the root of your SD card. It is probably best to do this first before flashing anything.
    2. Place your phone in download mode by removing the battery and holding vol-down while connecting the USB cable.
    3. If you want to do a NAND backup before proceeding, then flash just the CWM recovery listed below under PDA in Odin. Otherwise, proceed to step 4.
    (a) Remove your USB cable, insert your battery, and power on the device while holding both the vol+ and vol- buttons until the Samsung logo appears
    (b) To get into CWM, use the vol- to highlight apply sdcard:update.zip, and tap where the menu softkey normally is
    (c) Once in CWM, the power button becomes select, and the back softkey is to go back. Use vol- to highlight backup and restore, select, then select Backup.
    (d) Once backup is complete, remove your battery, and while holding down the vol- button, connect your USB cable. Keep holding until you are in download mode.
    4. Unzip the ROM file to a tar.md5 file, select this file in Odin under PDA, and flash away!
    5. Place the update.zip file linked below and boot into recovery by holding both volume buttons and the power button until you see the Samsung logo.
    6. Once in recovery, apply update.zip. This is the CWM recovery, so you'll need to use the menu soft-key to select. Once in CWM, the power button is select and the back soft-key is back.
    7. In CWM, make sure you do a wipe/factory reset and wipe cache partition, then reboot.
    8. Profit!

Odin3 v1.85: http://www.4shared.com/file/DxGjuFFQ/Odin3.html
    Cyan CWM update.zip: http://www.4shared.com/file/cLdwKNsU/update.html
    ROM: http://www.4shared.com/file/2hM6e4B2/I400_Froyo.html
    One Click Unbrick: http://www.4shared.com/file/u2e5ow7y/OneClick.html
    Adrynalyn's CWM Restore: http://www.4shared.com/get/G2sff5Sg/cwm_recovery_test4_adryn.html

2ff99783da9c2676544f36e1dc8cd616.gif
    Doesn't selecting wipe/factory reset and wiping cache partitions totally just uninstall the mod?

Confuuuuuused LOL. I'll try it following your directions exactly (though you should put the "Place Update.zip" part at the very beginning. I foresee a lot of people getting confused on that lol) and see how it goes :) Thanks!

No need to get confused! I might just take your suggestion and edit my post. Flashing an Odin image is a lot easier than it sounds, and if you mess something up, there's always a way to get back to stock.

Even though Android devices have a single internal flash drive, there are separate mount points that are used by the OS with different permissions for each. Remember the underlying OS is essentialy a Linux/Unix derivative, and what you see on the UI of the phone is nothing more than a well designed GUI. That being said, the system partition/mount point by default is set as read only. When doing a wipe/factory reset, you are deleting all the user-defined parts of the OS, such as downloaded apps, email, contacts, calendar, etc. The cache partition is just that - a location where parts of the OS are placed when in transition, such as when updating an app that is part of the system partition.

When you root an Android phone, you are essentially unlocking the system partition so you can not only see what data is on the internal storage itself, but by using a file explorer that can make use of the root permissions, you can add and delete content to the system partition, which is how I made this ROM. Once I had everything the way I wanted it, I then extracted those mount points and combined them together into the flashable Odin image.

When you install a custom ROM, you are replacing the system partition located on the internal flash drive, and typically the recovery and kernel partitions as well.

I'm guessing this may be more information than you wanted, but I thought I'd throw it all out there to make things, hopefully, a little clearer.
    Does the "Ticker" area still function like the factory version?
    Will Flash Player 10 work?

Yes and yes.

^
    got long press working with google search xD I'll upload it later xD
    you have to do some smali editing to fix it, that's why it wouldn't work xP

Sent from my SCH-I400 using XDA Premium App
    are you on mac or linux