Don't install Google Keyboard (Wakelock)

Search This thread

jaweinre

Jun 6, 2012
Just a heads up, i noticed a nasty wakelock from google keyboard on my phone since CM10-CM11. Did some digging on the forums and realized people commenting that google keyboard has wakelock issues.
Removed it (i had it installed with PAgapss) and replaced it by stock android keyboard from CM. No wakelocks whatsoever and battery usage much better. (Total wakelock is around 15% when not moving around too much, on CM11 latest nightly and full PA gapps).

Tomoms

Feb 15, 2014
OnePlus One
Essential Phone
Just a heads up, i noticed a nasty wakelock from google keyboard on my phone since CM10-CM11. Did some digging on the forums and realized people commenting that google keyboard has wakelock issues.
Removed it (i had it installed with PAgapss) and replaced it by stock android keyboard from CM. No wakelocks whatsoever and battery usage much better. (Total wakelock is around 15% when not moving around too much, on CM11 latest nightly and full PA gapps).

How did you remove Google Keyboard and how did you replace it with CM's keyboard?
Thanks

[] AL []

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Feb 22, 2011
Just a heads up, i noticed a nasty wakelock from google keyboard on my phone since CM10-CM11....
Thanks for sharing your experience. Interesting that a keyboard included in a "custom" [might we remind all] gapps package... But it just goes to show that we [myself at least] often trust software too quickly or look for bugs on less trusted apps when it's the very first installed one(s) that are problematic....

How did you remove Google Keyboard and how did you replace it with CM's keyboard?
Thanks
1 easy way would be to go in /system/app folder and disable that app [named something like: “blabla_android.inputmethod.latin.apk” - sorry I do not have G kb installed...]. And you'd do so by using a ROOT enabled file explorer and either delete it or rename the file extension of the file [useful since you'd keep it as backup] Example.: rename x.apk to x.apk.bak or x.apkwhatever.

* * * BUT JUST MAKE SURE THAT you have at least one more keyboard installed at the time you do that deleting/renaming... * * *

Or be ready for factory reset... ;)
Do I hear nandroid backup??

- - -

OK, since I always write long posts....
here's my suggestion of the day for you guys:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=uk.co.shenye.android.inputmethod.latinAndroid L keyboard [unofficial but still go read the app description].

A couple screenshots to save a few words (version number + things I like about it.

Cheers!
/AL

Later edit:

Seems like this KB got removed from the Play store - sorry about that.

Further edit:

Found it again for you guys:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2796129

or here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=53716545&postcount=92

ENJOY!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1404669991673.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1404669991673.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 175
  • uploadfromtaptalk1404670013297.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1404670013297.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 167