Google Cardboard DIY virtual reality app not working on note 2 ?

Search This thread

kaceps

May 2, 2011
At the recent google IO, a fun little project was launched.

https://developers.google.com/cardboard/
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.samples.apps.cardboarddemo

It's called cardboard, and it's google take on smartphone / VR helmet. I was really curious to try it on my Note 2, specially since I already had a helmet. (Made it when I was bored some time ago.)

Saddly, it seems the app won't work on a galaxy note 2. It should, but it doesn't.
So I wondered, does anyone else tried the app ? Did you manage to make it work on note 2 ?

Reactions: kelakent

DiogoCV

Jan 7, 2013
Lisbon
Hi there! Same thing happens with me and not only with that app, with Google camera as well.
I'm running stock kitkat from samsung.
Could this problem be from Google apps?

Xenira

Jul 3, 2014
Did anyone tryed to use the VR Toolkit provided by google?
I would like to know if apps build with this crash on the note 2.

xbartx99

Jul 4, 2014
I have a note 2 on the sprint network(sph-l900 running 4.4.2)
and the app works on mine
as for the cardboard case it seems the note 2s size may cause problems(i will be adding 1/4 inch to the front cover)

the note 2s camara is blocked(i will cut my own hole to compensate for phone difference)

kaceps

May 2, 2011
as for the cardboard case it seems the note 2s size may cause problems(i will be adding 1/4 inch to the front cover)

the note 2s camara is blocked(i will cut my own hole to compensate for phone difference)

Well, the app was just updated. Like 5 minutes ago on my phone. And now it works. On my note 2, only the "windy day" demo crash.

More info I found though on the subject though :

https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=288731

"The problem is that the EXT_robustness implementation on the Mali-400 does not support reset notification. However, Chrome doesn't use virtual GL contexts on these GPUs, so in theory the effects of WebGL shaders could be confined to the respective WebGL GL context.

I did some further testing (https://codereview.chromium.org/24037006/) and turns out it's still possible for long running shaders in the WebGL contexts to block GL execution in other contexts -- not limited ones in Chrome. Based on this I don't think we want to enable WebGL on Mali-400 based devices.

Note that users can still override this by disabling the "Software rendering list" in about://flags."

Reactions: Captain Fizz

SPIDERTECH

Feb 21, 2008
Texas

Even though I figured it wouldn't be the correct dimensions I went ahead and made the case per the instructions and the biggest issue is the focal point. Everything else including the magnet placement works. I'm going to pull the pdf into photoshop and increase all of the dimensions so it will actually be able to encase the Note 2.

xbartx99

Jul 4, 2014
Even though I figured it wouldn't be the correct dimensions I went ahead and made the case per the instructions and the biggest issue is the focal point. Everything else including the magnet placement works. I'm going to pull the pdf into photoshop and increase all of the dimensions so it will actually be able to encase the Note 2.

That would awesome if you could share that :laugh:

SPIDERTECH

Feb 21, 2008
Texas

I finished it a couple of days ago and just got around to printing it and cutting it out of cardboard. It needs a little tweaking, but otherwise works pretty good. I need to scale it down just a bit since the one I made accounts for my phone being in my otterbox case. I'm almost done with that one though so I should have it complete in a day or two.

I've included a picture of my completed in-case version looks like. I still need to make one change I know of to this case. When increasing the dimensions I guess I missed making the back panel bigger so it doesn't actually close all the way now. I'll upload that one when I'm done too.

Attachments

• 20140717_201024.jpg
    20140717_201024.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 965
Reactions: jbcoop

mvigerske

May 28, 2009
Hey SPIDERTECH,

nice to hear you got a note2-version of the cardboard. Can you share the Photoshop-file?

Best regards!
Drongo

jbcoop

Jul 25, 2014
I finished it a couple of days ago and just got around to printing it and cutting it out of cardboard. It needs a little tweaking, but otherwise works pretty good. I need to scale it down just a bit since the one I made accounts for my phone being in my otterbox case. I'm almost done with that one though so I should have it complete in a day or two.

I've included a picture of my completed in-case version looks like. I still need to make one change I know of to this case. When increasing the dimensions I guess I missed making the back panel bigger so it doesn't actually close all the way now. I'll upload that one when I'm done too.

If you have it all finalized, I will glady send you some money for a copy of it sized for the Galaxy Note 2 housed in an otterbox. I will send you the money via PayPal...just let me know if you have it finalized and I'll gladly pay you for it.

jbccop

SPIDERTECH

Feb 21, 2008
Texas
If you have it all finalized, I will glady send you some money for a copy of it sized for the Galaxy Note 2 housed in an otterbox. I will send you the money via PayPal...just let me know if you have it finalized and I'll gladly pay you for it.

jbccop

I would have had this done sooner, but I wanted to print everything out and get it assembled before making the PDFs. I've attached a ZIP with 3 pdf files to print each individually and assemble like the original. I've also included a transparent PNG and a TIFF that is the entire thing for large printing.

I need to rework the version with the otterbox since after printing and assembling it I discovered that I had missed resizing certain parts. I should have that one done soon though.

jbcoop

Jul 25, 2014
I would have had this done sooner, but I wanted to print everything out and get it assembled before making the PDFs. I've attached a ZIP with 3 pdf files to print each individually and assemble like the original. I've also included a transparent PNG and a TIFF that is the entire thing for large printing.

I need to rework the version with the otterbox since after printing and assembling it I discovered that I had missed resizing certain parts. I should have that one done soon though.

I have sent you $10.00 Spidertech for the files you just posted...when you get the one for the Note 2 with Otterbox done, I will send you more for it as well. I appreciate you sharing this, and since I am also having trouble getting my Note 2 SGH-i317 upgraded to Kitkat 4.4.2 from 4.3, I will gladly pay you if you can offer advice to me on what to do via email.

Looking forward to the Note 2 with Otterbox case files.

Thank you!
jbcoop

Last edited:

firoz3321

Apr 30, 2011
Hyderabad
I got this template from a friend (source unknown)

I made one using tgis template and works perfect.

Its not the best looking cardboard, but fits perfectly and works great.

Also i tried downloading some SIDE BY SIDE 3d videos from YouTube and played using MxPlayer ( have to set it to 80% zoom for 720p videos to get perfect display)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Attachments

• 1407140953143.jpg
    1407140953143.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 1,160

SPIDERTECH

Feb 21, 2008
Texas
I have sent you $10.00 Spidertech for the files you just posted...when you get the one for the Note 2 with Otterbox done, I will send you more for it as well. I appreciate you sharing this, and since I am also having trouble getting my Note 2 SGH-i317 upgraded to Kitkat 4.4.2 from 4.3, I will gladly pay you if you can offer advice to me on what to do via email.

Looking forward to the Note 2 with Otterbox case files.

Thank you!
jbcoop

I saw that you sent the donation. Thank you for that.
Was there a particular ROM you were looking at for the 4.4.2 or were you wanting to update to the official release?

I got this template from a friend (source unknown)

I made one using tgis template and works perfect.

Its not the best looking cardboard, but fits perfectly and works great.

Also i tried downloading some SIDE BY SIDE 3d videos from YouTube and played using MxPlayer ( have to set it to 80% zoom for 720p videos to get perfect display)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Some other nice apps for use with the cardboard case can be found here http://www.divegames.com/games.html. I actually use the two I've listed below.

ViewR - uses your camera in SBS format so you can strap this to your head and view the camera feed. It has voice activated triggers that are used to change the "filter" on the screen which is actually pretty fun to play around with.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=biz.buelter.viewr

Side-By-Side Video Player - Lets you play any videos from your phone in SBS mode. The only issue I've found with it on the Note 2 is that the videos cannot be played from the gallery. If you play them from a file viewer like Astro then they work fine.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.funghisoft.sbsvideoplayer

Last edited:

firoz3321

Apr 30, 2011
Hyderabad
Was there a particular ROM you were looking at for the 4.4.2 or were you wanting to update to the official release?

Some other nice apps for use with the cardboard case can be found here http://www.divegames.com/games.html. I actually use the two I've listed below.

ViewR - uses your camera in SBS format so you can strap this to your head and view the camera feed. It has voice activated triggers that are used to change the "filter" on the screen which is actually pretty fun to play around with.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=biz.buelter.viewr

Side-By-Side Video Player - Lets you play any videos from your phone in SBS mode. The only issue I've found with it on the Note 2 is that the videos cannot be played from the gallery. If you play them from a file viewer like Astro then they work fine.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.funghisoft.sbsvideoplayer

I have tried both apps. Due to loss of edge data i don't really see a point watch videos in it. Unless the videos are made to compensate the loss (round cornered videos)

Also in my first post i attached template but its not getting attached.

Attachments

• cropped.jpg
    cropped.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 1,628

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

jbccop

At the recent google IO, a fun little project was launched.

https://developers.google.com/cardboard/
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.samples.apps.cardboarddemo

It's called cardboard, and it's google take on smartphone / VR helmet. I was really curious to try it on my Note 2, specially since I already had a helmet. (Made it when I was bored some time ago.)

Saddly, it seems the app won't work on a galaxy note 2. It should, but it doesn't.
    So I wondered, does anyone else tried the app ? Did you manage to make it work on note 2 ?

Well, the app was just updated. Like 5 minutes ago on my phone. And now it works. On my note 2, only the "windy day" demo crash.

More info I found though on the subject though :

https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=288731

"The problem is that the EXT_robustness implementation on the Mali-400 does not support reset notification. However, Chrome doesn't use virtual GL contexts on these GPUs, so in theory the effects of WebGL shaders could be confined to the respective WebGL GL context.

I did some further testing (https://codereview.chromium.org/24037006/) and turns out it's still possible for long running shaders in the WebGL contexts to block GL execution in other contexts -- not limited ones in Chrome. Based on this I don't think we want to enable WebGL on Mali-400 based devices.

Note that users can still override this by disabling the "Software rendering list" in about://flags."

Thank you very much for posting the templates. What would you have done differently from the template you posted to get it to close? I also noticed that the template is most likely for the Note 3. (The volume rocker was shifted.)

Also, where did you (or anyone else that did this build) find the lenses? (Please link)

Would these work? http://www.edmundoptics.com/optics/...imental-quality-plano-convex-pcx-lenses/28369

Those lenses will not work. The focal length is 58mm whereas the ones used with the Google Cardboard template are 40mm. The ideal lenses would be 25mm Diameter x 40mm FL. I have a modified version that I used with some lenses I got out of a pair of "as seen on TV" binocular glasses. I'm not sure what the size of those lenses are, but it is higher than 40mm since I had to increase the distance between the phone and the lenses for it to focus properly.

Put this string into Google and you should find all that site has for this size lens

Code:
    25mm Diameter x "40mm FL" site:http://www.edmundoptics.co.uk

---------- Post added at 12:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 AM ----------

Spidertech, I sent you a private message. Thank you! Looking forward to Otterbox case template.
    jbcoop

Almost done with the otterbox template. I have to separate the lens holder into two files since it's so big. As with the other one I posted there will be both a zip with individual 8.5 x 11in PDFs you print out and match the numbers for as well as a PNG with everything in it.