[KERNEL][7/22/10]Darchstar's Overclocked Undervolted kernel for senseUI roms vUV 2

Search This thread

urushiol

Mar 18, 2010
WheW! Ok links are up now to the new Undervolted kernel(thanks to darchstar!!!)

I have included a few fixes

*Fixed my incorrect settings in ramdisks that sometimes caused CPU to drop to 19mhz. Bug is present in all V4 kernels.(use SETCPU/Oc widget and manually set the frequency in the V4 kernels to avoid this!!)

*Fixed a mistake I made when performing freemem tweak on the V4 kernels, those who used the V4 kernels with freemem killer tweak that experienced lag/slowness/stuff closing when it shouldn't/, should have no problems with the vUV kernels with freemem killer tweak.

All versions are UNTESTED, PLEASE NANDROID FIRST. I did 12 of these zips so if you find anything weird let me know. I may have broken the WiFi, accidently used v4 kernel instead of v15, forgot to sign, or flat out borked any of these =P

I promised people I would also post undo zips, I will do this, just haven't gotten a chance just yet. The 2.1RUU kernel zip listed here should safely undo this for infiniteFX, and it might work on fresh too, no guarantees(will NOT work on honeybun, probably will work on damage control but will break Dconfig app)

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=657244 (thanks avalaunchmods!)

Last edited:

scmastertech

Jan 30, 2010
Is this the zip that works for you scmaster?

http://www.4shared.com/file/51Wf7ask/DB-F-OC-Boot.html

I thought i had lost it, but there it is. That should be V1.

BTW, i have the UVs with and without memtweak in 710 and 768 verions done, just didn't get to upload them, was exhausted last night. Will upload them when I get off work in a few hours!

Thats the file name that I have. I tried V3 and it just looped also. Im stumped. Here is the zip I have that works.

http://www.4shared.com/file/n31GWrex/DB-F-OC-Boot.html

mushupork

Jun 26, 2010
powertop broken?

First - thanks for putting this kernel out there. Fresh Hero 2.3.3 was really laggy for me, but adding this makes it smooth like butter!

Ran into an issue with powertop, though. Here's the output when I run powertop -d:
Code:
# powertop -d
/sbin/modprobe: not found
PowerTOP 1.11   (C) 2007, 2008 Intel Corporation 

Collecting data for 15 seconds 

< Detailed C-state information is not available.>
P-states (frequencies)
   538 Mhz     0.0%
   518 Mhz     0.0%
   246 Mhz     7.2%
   123 Mhz     5.1%
    19 Mhz    87.7%
no ACPI power usage estimate available
No detailed statistics available; please enable the CONFIG_TIMER_STATS kernel option
This option is located in the Kernel Debugging section of menuconfig
(which is CONFIG_DEBUG_KERNEL=y in the config file)
Note: this is only available in 2.6.21 and later kernels

I see in the OP that this originally comes from Darchdroid 2.6.4. Was 2.6.5 the first version with powertop support? I'll even be greedy and ask if it's possible to get powertop support into this kernel... :p

c00ller

Jun 10, 2010
I'm a little confused. In the box with the vUV kernels, the first line says
"AOSP Synaptics Driver(causes slight unlock delay..." while the regular voltage ones have no warning of an unlock delay. However, in the list of "The Good" and "The Bad" (which were written when only the regular voltage versions were available), it lists that there is a delay when coming out of sleep.
So doesn't this delay affect both regular and undervolted versions of the kernel?

urushiol

Mar 18, 2010
I'm a little confused. In the box with the vUV kernels, the first line says
"AOSP Synaptics Driver(causes slight unlock delay..." while the regular voltage ones have no warning of an unlock delay. However, in the list of "The Good" and "The Bad" (which were written when only the regular voltage versions were available), it lists that there is a delay when coming out of sleep.
So doesn't this delay affect both regular and undervolted versions of the kernel?

The first post is a work in progress, I'm trying to clean it up. =D

The kernel V4 kernel has HTC synaptics, and the screen takes just a sec to come on, but once its on it responds instantly.

the vUV kernel uses AOSP touchscreen driver(this can be fixed, but its going to take someone smarter than me to recompile the whole kernel from scratch using HTC driver), it takes a second to come on, and takes another second after the backlight comes on before it will respond to input. But once it fully "wakes up" it works just a good as the HTC driver.

urushiol

Mar 18, 2010
Which kernel version are you using, i see this still has the 19mhz bug! And we are using a kernel based of the latest kernel for darchdroid 2.7, the UV kernel. I would have expected it to support powertop, but I guess not.

First - thanks for putting this kernel out there. Fresh Hero 2.3.3 was really laggy for me, but adding this makes it smooth like butter!

Ran into an issue with powertop, though. Here's the output when I run powertop -d:
Code:
# powertop -d
/sbin/modprobe: not found
PowerTOP 1.11   (C) 2007, 2008 Intel Corporation 

Collecting data for 15 seconds 

< Detailed C-state information is not available.>
P-states (frequencies)
   538 Mhz     0.0%
   518 Mhz     0.0%
   246 Mhz     7.2%
   123 Mhz     5.1%
    19 Mhz    87.7%
no ACPI power usage estimate available
No detailed statistics available; please enable the CONFIG_TIMER_STATS kernel option
This option is located in the Kernel Debugging section of menuconfig
(which is CONFIG_DEBUG_KERNEL=y in the config file)
Note: this is only available in 2.6.21 and later kernels

I see in the OP that this originally comes from Darchdroid 2.6.4. Was 2.6.5 the first version with powertop support? I'll even be greedy and ask if it's possible to get powertop support into this kernel... :p

mushupork

Jun 26, 2010
powertop broken

Which kernel version are you using, i see this still has the 19mhz bug! And we are using a kernel based of the latest kernel for darchdroid 2.7, the UV kernel. I would have expected it to support powertop, but I guess not.

Using DarchKernelv4 710mhz with Free Memory Tweak For Fresh 2.1.1/2.1.2/2.3.3**TESTED**.

And no, there's no 19200 bug in these kernels. Just some bad leftover settings in OC Widget...:rolleyes:

urushiol

Mar 18, 2010
Using DarchKernelv4 710mhz with Free Memory Tweak For Fresh 2.1.1/2.1.2/2.3.3**TESTED**.

And no, there's no 19200 bug in these kernels. Just some bad leftover settings in OC Widget...:rolleyes:

Good whew! Thought it may have been on vUV without using an OC app.
I have personally seen the 19mhz bug on the infinitefx version of the kernel, hard to keep my head straight sometimes!

urushiol

Mar 18, 2010
Just tried the vUV, and it has the same problem...

Humm, what might be happening is its dropping to 19mhz when the screen is off, try rebooting the phone, not letting the screen turn off but allow the phone to be idle, run power top and see what you get.

EDIT: if it is happen when the screen is off, is it possible its part of some deep sleep power saving mode build into the kernel?

Last edited:

mushupork

Jun 26, 2010
Humm, what might be happening is its dropping to 19mhz when the screen is off, try rebooting the phone, not letting the screen turn off but allow the phone to be idle, run power top and see what you get.

Sorry - my last post wasn't clear. Not seeing the 19mhz anymore after I corrected my OC Widget settings.

Still getting the same error with powertop "No detailed statistics available; please enable the CONFIG_TIMER_STATS kernel option"

urushiol

Mar 18, 2010
Sorry - my last post wasn't clear. Not seeing the 19mhz anymore after I corrected my OC Widget settings.

Still getting the same error with powertop "No detailed statistics available; please enable the CONFIG_TIMER_STATS kernel option"

ah! =), well have to get with darch of this one, I'm sure its not part of his source, or its not enabled.

mushupork

Jun 26, 2010
ah! =), well have to get with darch of this one, I'm sure its not part of his source, or its not enabled.

That's what I was figuring - I found reference to powertop with Darch 2.6.5, but didn't see it with 2.6.4...

I've compiled plenty of linux kernels in my time for laptops/desktops/servers, but I'm somewhat of a noob with android.

tailsthecat3

Jun 28, 2010
NC
Where can I find the stock kernel? If it exists...
Please and thank you
Edit: i dont like the heat produced by the device. Is there a slightly less oc'd kernel? im gonna check out the uv'd kernel in a minute...

Last edited:

urushiol

Mar 18, 2010

mushupork

Jun 26, 2010
Where can I find the stock kernel? If it exists...
Please and thank you
Edit: i dont like the heat produced by the device. Is there a slightly less oc'd kernel? im gonna check out the uv'd kernel in a minute...

Another option would be to run one of these kernels and use OC Widget/Setcpu with max clocking at 528 (stock hero speed).

That way you can still downclock the kernel while the phone is sleeping to save some battery.

c00ller

Jun 10, 2010
urushiol, it's spelled nfinitefx45, not infinitefx45; there is no i.
it's kind of been bothering me for a while lol

gonzoangel

Jan 16, 2008
Los Angeles
i don't really notice a difference between the low volt and the regular OC rom *fresh 2.3.3 768

what should i look for?

should i install/run the OC widget to help out or leave it as is?