Use your GPlayer as a regular Cell Phone

Search This thread

oncaribe

Apr 2, 2012
Cordoba
A few days ago I bought a device called GMATE ($80), a type of smallcell without display or keyboard which is inserted a normal simcard and communicating via Bluetooth to the Samsung Galaxy Player, which means an application is integrated with android, receiving and making phone calls, and SMS, in addition to allowing internet access GPRS.
It's a perfect combination that increases the possibilities of Our Player

Last edited:

CreekDirt

Mar 16, 2011
IPhones must be jailbroken, a repo is added to Cydia, and then the Gmate app is installed for the integrated Gmate functionality. How does this work in Android?

oncaribe

Apr 2, 2012
Cordoba
In GooglePlay you can download a Gmate aplication that integrates the gadget with your android player (also convert your android phone in a double sim phone) and uses android phone's features like dialer, contacts, or any thirtd party aplication likes rocket Dial.
Received and Make calls don´t need special features, if you uses the Gprs/edge to internet (in places with no WIFI) need to be rooted.

kfirbep

Feb 9, 2012
Is there something similar that i can connect it to my player or to put it in the galaxy player? So this wey i dony have to worry if i get out of 10 neters or jf i fodget it at home

Sent from my YP-G70 using xda premium

Undead Maleficar

Apr 12, 2012
Clarks Summit, PA
Wow, wonderful find. I was looking for exacly something like this. Unfortunately, With ICS CM9 installed on my GP5 Bluetooth doesn't work =( (neither does the camera or hardware acceleration. They really need to fix that.)

testrider

Apr 11, 2012
Los Angeles
A few days ago I bought a device called GMATE ($80), a type of smallcell without display or keyboard which is inserted a normal simcard and communicating via Bluetooth to the Samsung Galaxy Player, which means an application is integrated with android, receiving and making phone calls, and SMS, in addition to allowing internet access GPRS.

With the Gmate app, can your SGP connect to a regular cell phone with bluetooth or it can only connect to the Gmate?

Vilai

Jun 27, 2009
I don't quite understand... So besides buying the Gmate, would i need a sim card as well? secondly so would i practically be using a sim card with a data plan to use with gmate? but wouldnt that defeat the purpose of just using a smart phone with a card in it?.... these are all continuation Q's if the first is a yes lol.

silentdoh

Jun 14, 2012
This seems like a stupid question, but I'll ask anyway. How well does the device actually work? Does it keep a connection throughout the day, sending and receiving text messages without too much delay? I'm considering using this to replace my old dumbphone, but I'd rather not plunk down a sizable chunk of change with little indication as to how well this thing actually works.

crowelfly

Jan 31, 2012
Amsterdam
Gmate calling speaker sound

Question: Does the sound come out of the front speaker while calling?
(I don't like to call everywhere with loud back speakers)

silentdoh

Jun 14, 2012
EDIT: I HAVE FIXED THE MAIN ISSUE WITH MY GMATE, MORE INFORMATION BELOW

Well, my Gmate+ came in the mail today, and I've been playing with it for a little while now and am able to give first impressions. First off, the device is much smaller than I imagined, it easily fits in my palm, the vibration (on the plus version) is very loud. As for the function itself, it works. You can call and send and receive text messages (haven't tested the web access yet) with a few minor (and one major) annoyances. My device is currently a US SGP 4.0 running Terrasilent 1.1 and EtherealRom 2.3.

Minor annoyances I have found with the Gmate+:
- Notifications (read: texts) do not make noise/vibrate while the screen is locked. Once the screen goes on, if you do have a new text, it notifies you, kind of ruining the point of the notification.

- Text messages you send have proper time stamps, for some reason, the ones you receive are off by a few hours, as if the sender is in a different time zone

- Seems to be no way to delete contacts from the address book, even uninstalling, wiping data, reinstalling didn't do anything about this.

Major annoyance with the Gmate+:

- It disconnects, and by that I mean it disconnects ALL THE TIME, the device is pretty much useless because of this, it will be fine for a few minutes, then disconnect, regardless of how close the Gmate is to my SGP. Every few minutes, I'd check it, and guess what? No connection. Sometimes it would reconnect, sometimes I'd have to manually do it, sometimes I'd have to restart one or both devices to get it to work again.

Seeing as everything the device does it actually does quite well when actually connected, I want to rule this problem to some battery saving tweak in my kernel/rom. As such, I'll be returning to stock and trying the Gmate again to see if any of these issues are cleared up. As it stands, I have a 75$ paperweight that buzzes occasionally.

EDIT: After flashing back to stock and noticing no change, I began searching around and found other people having similar problems with similar devices, mainly connecting their smartphones to the bluetooth sound system in their car. Turns out in Deep Sleep, the device has issues keeping constant bluetooth connection. After downloading an app (Bluetooth KeepAlive: ~$1.30) on the market that keeps the device from entering this mode, the Gmate no longer disconnects, and has remained connected for several days, having no problem with calls or text messages at any time. In summary, with this app, I am now happy to recommend the Gmate to anyone who is looking for this kind of functionality. Guess it goes to show that non compatible apps are listed in the Play Store as non working for a reason ;)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    EDIT: I HAVE FIXED THE MAIN ISSUE WITH MY GMATE, MORE INFORMATION BELOW

Well, my Gmate+ came in the mail today, and I've been playing with it for a little while now and am able to give first impressions. First off, the device is much smaller than I imagined, it easily fits in my palm, the vibration (on the plus version) is very loud. As for the function itself, it works. You can call and send and receive text messages (haven't tested the web access yet) with a few minor (and one major) annoyances. My device is currently a US SGP 4.0 running Terrasilent 1.1 and EtherealRom 2.3.

Minor annoyances I have found with the Gmate+:
    - Notifications (read: texts) do not make noise/vibrate while the screen is locked. Once the screen goes on, if you do have a new text, it notifies you, kind of ruining the point of the notification.

- Text messages you send have proper time stamps, for some reason, the ones you receive are off by a few hours, as if the sender is in a different time zone

- Seems to be no way to delete contacts from the address book, even uninstalling, wiping data, reinstalling didn't do anything about this.

Major annoyance with the Gmate+:

- It disconnects, and by that I mean it disconnects ALL THE TIME, the device is pretty much useless because of this, it will be fine for a few minutes, then disconnect, regardless of how close the Gmate is to my SGP. Every few minutes, I'd check it, and guess what? No connection. Sometimes it would reconnect, sometimes I'd have to manually do it, sometimes I'd have to restart one or both devices to get it to work again.

Seeing as everything the device does it actually does quite well when actually connected, I want to rule this problem to some battery saving tweak in my kernel/rom. As such, I'll be returning to stock and trying the Gmate again to see if any of these issues are cleared up. As it stands, I have a 75$ paperweight that buzzes occasionally.

EDIT: After flashing back to stock and noticing no change, I began searching around and found other people having similar problems with similar devices, mainly connecting their smartphones to the bluetooth sound system in their car. Turns out in Deep Sleep, the device has issues keeping constant bluetooth connection. After downloading an app (Bluetooth KeepAlive: ~$1.30) on the market that keeps the device from entering this mode, the Gmate no longer disconnects, and has remained connected for several days, having no problem with calls or text messages at any time. In summary, with this app, I am now happy to recommend the Gmate to anyone who is looking for this kind of functionality. Guess it goes to show that non compatible apps are listed in the Play Store as non working for a reason ;)