[HOW-TO]EXT4 on GummyCharged1.9RC1 (EP1Q)

Search This thread

kejar31

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 24, 2010
I personally don't recommend going about setting up your phone this way, As you are not using the EP1Q kernel...

The two biggest changes from EP1H to EP1Q is the radio and the kernel and by following this install method you will be eliminating one of those changes.

A better way would be to:

1. Download and install GummyCharged FE 1.9.1 full Odin and let the kernel scripts convert your filesystem to Ext4
2. Download and flash the updated EP1Q radios
3. Download both the flash-able version of Gummy and IMNUTS latest EP1Q kernel that supports Ext4
4. Oding IMNUTS kernel
5. Boot directly into CWM and install the flashable version of gummy

---Done

If you can give me time to finish updating the base, I will release a version with both the kernel and gummy in a flashable zip.. Worked on the base the last two days and should have an update soon.

thatkidmatt

Oct 17, 2010
I personally don't recommend going about setting up your phone this way, As you are not using the EP1Q kernel...

The two biggest changes from EP1H to EP1Q is the radio and the kernel and by following this install method you will be eliminating one of those changes.

1. Download and install GummyCharged FE 1.9.1 full Odin and let the kernel scripts convert your filesystem to Ext4
3. Download both the flash-able version of Gummy and IMNUTS latest EP1Q kernel that supports Ext4
4. Oding IMNUTS kernel

---Done

If you can give me time to finish updating the base, I will release a version with both the kernel and gummy in a flashable zip.. Worked on the base the last two days and should have an update soon.

Where is the flashable version of Gummy? I can only find ODIN versions

thatkidmatt

Oct 17, 2010
How do people fail to read what they quoted themselves? He said he's working on it.

sry I couldn't resist that one

Actually, he referenced a flashable version that exists RIGHT NOW and mentioned that he was working on one that had both the Kernel and gummy together. So apparently, my reading comprehension skills aren't in as dire need of improvement as you would suggest. Thank you for the assistance though, I do appreciate it.

hoppermi said:
there is one in the opening post:)

I knew that, I was just testing you.

Seriously though, I even downloaded the damn thing. Eeek

Last edited:

dlang123

Jul 6, 2011
Has anyone who has done the Ext4 ran a Quadrant score yet? see a noticeable improvement over RFS?

Feel snappier?

hoppermi

Feb 7, 2011
Has anyone who has done the Ext4 ran a Quadrant score yet? see a noticeable improvement over RFS?

Feel snappier?

Quadrant isn't going to go up much, but yes there is a noticeable difference in I/O functions like the media scan that runs when you boot and TiBu restores. Phone is definitely snappier. I haven't had any lag whatsoever.

spjetrovic

4. Oding IMNUTS kernel

---Done

Sent from my SCH-I510 using XDA Premium App

I second that! Please keep in mind its only an opinion, and we all have one.
I'm waiting. My SC is running fine just the way it is, to my pleasure compared to what it ran like when we didn't have any roms.

Let our GC Team work for us, and thanks for all you you guys have done....

Sent from my SCH-I510 using XDA Premium App

skydeaner

Sep 29, 2008
champaign
xda.chambanatech.com
Quadrant will go up once we get the real ep1q kernel in there. For now it stays about the same, but you can tell with other things that the ext4 is doing it's job. Like titanium backup restores. Installing 140 apps takes sooo much less time putting them onto ext4 instead of rfs.

And thanks kejar! I'm honored just to have you post in my thread lol. I appreciate all your hard work.

salvazza

Dec 16, 2010
I've downloaded the file twice, but I keep getting MD5 hash value invalid on the Odin step for the Nameless recovery. That's as far as I could get in the steps. I tried downloading it from multiple places but no dice.

To fix this MD5 hash value problem, rename the file and remove the ".md5" off the end.

The check will pass and you can flash it (I've done it).

To review:

rename "NAMELESS-kernel_v2-EP1F-recovery.tar.md5"
to "NAMELESS-kernel_v2-EP1F-recovery.tar"

Last edited:

hazard209

Jul 29, 2011
To fix this MD5 hash value problem, rename the file and remove the ".md5" off the end.

The check will pass and you can flash it (I've done it).

To review:

rename "NAMELESS-kernel_v2-EP1F-recovery.tar.md5"
to "NAMELESS-kernel_v2-EP1F-recovery.tar"

Do you know what an md5 hash is and why it's there?

If the answer is no, then do not remove it. It's there for a reason and by removing it you can brick your phone.

tdenton1138

Dec 8, 2010
Tucson
I went through with it anyway, and followed through the instructions...but when I type MOUNT into Terminal Emulator, it says "not found". So I take it didn't work and I should try again?

If so, I'll try your advice.

I presume you typed: 'su' <enter>
before you typed: 'mount' <enter>

other than that, not sure what to tell ya

skydeaner

Sep 29, 2008
champaign
xda.chambanatech.com
Here is how I did it. From EP1Q I wiped data and flashed gummycharged FE 1.9.1 and booted. It did not convert, I must have had the disable lagfix file in voodoo. I dl voodoo control app and selected convert to EXT4 and convert system to EXT4 and rebooted. Converted to EXT4. then odin imnut's hacked kernel from rootzwiki. and flashed a zip of gummyGBE(EP1Q). I had SU but no access, tried flashing SU from recovery and still no root. Then I booted to recovery and flashed imnuts debloated EP1Q(kernel included)and then flashed the gummy GBE zip again and booted w/ root.

All partitions are EXT4 and this rom/kernel combo flies:)

A little more involved than using the EXT formatter, but I got it done.

This is a very viable option for getting the ep1q kernel and still having root access work right. Good work.

Reactions: LANAtron

mrtruckincowboy

Jun 16, 2011
I went back to standard ep1q till there is a easier method to do this with that allows the ep1q kernel to be used.

kejar31

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 24, 2010
Guys there is an offical version of GummyCharged available in CWM form now...

to the OP can you remove your link and provide a link to the release thread for access to the file? Also update the instructions to reflect the fact that my release include the ep1q kernel from IMNUTS that supports EXT4

skydeaner

Sep 29, 2008
champaign
xda.chambanatech.com

to the OP can you remove your link and provide a link to the release thread for access to the file? Also update the instructions to reflect the fact that my release include the ep1q kernel from IMNUTS that supports EXT4

i went ahead and linked to your how-to since this was originally a how-to thread. thanks for the speedy cwm release my friend. you do amazing work.

Mods can close this thread.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    http://rootzwiki.com/showthread.php?t=3163

this thread is now null and void lol. for anyone that wants it, kejar released his own updated Cwm version of gummycharged. follow the link above for his ext4 lagfix instructions.

Yes that's the one. If you have the correct file that would be great.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using XDA App

this should be the most current one, and has worked with no problems... be sure to unzip with 7zip first
    Awesome. I'll do these steps but use the recovery you posted and the Imnuts kernel. However, would you mind posting the Superuser zip as well?

Thanks man, you are being really helpful this late at night. These are my phone flashing hours.

np, this is my phone tinkering time too as the gf is asleep lol... any way when I looked I had a few different ones and for the life of me can't remember which one I flashed, this one should be the correct gingerbread one and if not I have others (I think they're all the same but build specific, for 2.2 or 2.3 etc...)
    Here is how I did it. From EP1Q I wiped data and flashed gummycharged FE 1.9.1 and booted. It did not convert, I must have had the disable lagfix file in voodoo. I dl voodoo control app and selected convert to EXT4 and convert system to EXT4 and rebooted. Converted to EXT4. then odin imnut's hacked kernel from rootzwiki. and flashed a zip of gummyGBE(EP1Q). I had SU but no access, tried flashing SU from recovery and still no root. Then I booted to recovery and flashed imnuts debloated EP1Q(kernel included)and then flashed the gummy GBE zip again and booted w/ root.

All partitions are EXT4 and this rom/kernel combo flies:)

A little more involved than using the EXT formatter, but I got it done.

This is a very viable option for getting the ep1q kernel and still having root access work right. Good work.