{DISCUSSION}Xperia Z back glass coming unglued

Search This thread

dantistruct

Mar 8, 2012
Orlando
So I've had my Xperia Z for about 2 months now and it has endured water tests, and stress test (software wise). I'm completely satisfied with the results. However I was cleaning my phone with my microfiber cloth and noticed something odd when cleaning. As I look up at the top left of the device I see that there is a slight bulge or lift of the device I am wondering if this was after my long photography session I did with it as it heated up quite a bit and the Snapdragon S4 is around the same area. I'd like to know if anyone came across this lift / bulge and had any issues with it / got it back down because the uneven-ness bothers me mentally, I have still washed my phone however haven't fully submerged it since I've noticed bulge. I'll post some pictures on what I'm talking about, I figured someone here can help me out with this for I won't be close to a Sony Service Center to have a look at my device until July.
shot1.jpg shot2.jpg

DSC_6449.jpg DSC_6448.jpg

Survey: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=44369631&postcount=268

EDIT: Here are links requested by drsoran2 and rekoil on a survey on the Xperia Z backplate lift:

Link to survey form: http://goo.gl/FTzl34
Link to survey results: http://goo.gl/78iuEU

Last edited:

cordonbleu

Feb 21, 2013
Leiden
Your backplate is definitely loose. If I were you, I wouldn't submerge it anymore because I think it isn't waterproof anymore. Looks like the glue melted while you were heavy using your Z and caused the backplate to lift. You should definitely bring your device in for repair or replacement.

dantistruct

Mar 8, 2012
Orlando
Hmmm I guess I'll wait until I go back up to get it repaired hopefully they can just do this easy fix on site, I can do it myself but I still have warranty so I might as well let them do it I just hope they do it on site and give it back to me the same day or the day after... from what I'm thinking it just needs a reheat to activate the adhesive agent and placing back down on it.

alexpraga

Mar 18, 2009
Hmmm I guess I'll wait until I go back up to get it repaired hopefully they can just do this easy fix on site, I can do it myself but I still have warranty so I might as well let them do it I just hope they do it on site and give it back to me the same day or the day after... from what I'm thinking it just needs a reheat to activate the adhesive agent and placing back down on it.

Please, let us know how it went before closing the thread.

Sent from my Xperia Z

naathaan4

Sep 1, 2010
Is this something with the white Xperia Z? I have it as well, noticed it about 2 weeks ago.
I saw another person's thread about his white Xperia Z having a lift on the back top left of the phone as well.

dantistruct

Mar 8, 2012
Orlando
Is this something with the white Xperia Z? I have it as well, noticed it about 2 weeks ago.
I saw another person's thread about his white Xperia Z having a lift on the back top left of the phone as well.

Mine is the xperia Z black c6603 I really think it's the heating of the processor and not entirely sure if it compromises the waterproofing because I have washed it a bit to clean it (not dunk it) and I don't have any problems but I'll still be careful with it until we get some confirmation from Sony

naathaan4

Sep 1, 2010
Same problem on my XPZ - top left corner near camera lens.

What's the color of your Xperia Z?

---------- Post added at 01:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:45 PM ----------

Mine is the xperia Z black c6603 I really think it's the heating of the processor and not entirely sure if it compromises the waterproofing because I have washed it a bit to clean it (not dunk it) and I don't have any problems but I'll still be careful with it until we get some confirmation from Sony

Oh, wow. I didn't realize that it was the reflection that made it look like white. Anyway, I saw a couple of people that have this problem already and all of theirs are white

Ame123

Dec 30, 2012
Same with me..a little bulge near the camera..ui have the black one

Sent from my C6602 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

o0oP5

Sep 24, 2012
I thought i was the only one.. Lol..
Mine is C6602 black..

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2

sucker for sony's

Jan 2, 2012
Sittingbourne
I have a black xz. To admit I get it hot to the point it burns to touch but it's not bulging yet the rear glass on mine is sitting dead flat.

Sent from my C6603 using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Try heat it up again at that point e.g. with an hairdryer and then press it for a time while it cools down again. Maybe it works.

Sent from my Xperia Z

I think that is a really bad idea.
    Take it back.
    If you try to repair it, and do more damage then your warranty is gone..

Sent from my C6603 using xda app-developers app
    I've made the thread a sticky, if someone's willing to make and maintain a first post with general information and updates with a reaction from Sony PM me.

Cheers,

Tijmen
    I have this issue too, the glue melts when the phone is heating which will eventually gets harder after cooled up. This combo will lift the glass bit by bit. There is an easy solution for this like I did on my. I heated up with a hairdryer or just open up a game with the charger on it, this will get the glue melt again and then push the glass back on it and let it cool down for a minute.

It will stay for a long time back on now.

Sent from my C6603 using xda premium
    Yeah! I guess they're right. That's the problem of being an engineer...

Let the good guys at Sony do the repair.

P. S. In any case you can see what they will do at Sony herehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNrtamZuf7E.

Sent from my Xperia Z