Poor games performance on i9505

Search This thread

gucio_28

Nov 14, 2009
Hi. I really love my i9505, it's a great phone with cool features and all, but there's one thing that's really annoying about this phone- games performance. Eg. when playing GTA San Andreas I have maximum 30FPS even on lowest settings. On Real Racing 3 the situation is similar. I thought Sanpdragon 600 and Adreno 320 is powerful enough to run this games like a charm and now i'm dissapointed. Are there any modofications for i9505 that may improve gaming experience? I've tried OC already but no result. The other this I cannot go more than 30 FPS in games, even on lowest settings and I don't know if it's my phone's fault or software bug. Currently I'm running on Jamal's GE 4.4.2 ROM and ktoonez kernel. What are your settings/roms/kernels for best gaming experience? Anyone help? Thanks in advance.

Kind regards

pilot35

Nov 3, 2013
Gta sa for android is buggy and not optimized. Even on snapdragon 800 devices the fps is still relatively low.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 GT-I9505 (International)

mobilequest

Nov 8, 2011
I too bought a S4 just three days ago. I knew that that the touchwiz-ui is laggy, it didn't bother me but I really thought the hardware would be good enough to run recent games lag-free. I was wrong.
Small games like subway surfers or temple run run smoothly but bigger games like Real Racing 3 lag and stutter. I am currently on stock rom with android 4.3, does it still lag with 4.4.2 google edition roms or aosp roms?

BabelHuber

Sep 16, 2012
I too bought a S4 just three days ago. I knew that that the touchwiz-ui is laggy, it didn't bother me but I really thought the hardware would be good enough to run recent games lag-free. I was wrong.
Small games like subway surfers or temple run run smoothly but bigger games like Real Racing 3 lag and stutter. I am currently on stock rom with android 4.3, does it still lag with 4.4.2 google edition roms or aosp roms?

I did not have game performance issues with the 4.2 stock ROM back then, but IDK about stock 4.3.

Some AOSP-ROMs are slower in games than stock, others are faster. It also depends on the Kernel you are using of course.

A really fast ROM is broodplank's AOSP from source, you can find it in the i9505 original Android development thread. I am using it with broodplank's stock Kernel and changed some options via the broodparts-app.

I am very satisfied with its performance and stability, so you can give it a try. It is pure AOSP, though, so you lose all TW features. With XPOSED/Gravitybox, you can add some customizing features, which is enough for me. Some other features like iView and multiwindows are gone, but I don't really miss them.

But of course your requirements could be different, so you have to find out what's best suited for you by trying it out.

Reactions: mobilequest

TheBeast

Jun 6, 2013
Same problem. Did anyone find a solution?
It seems like not a single game is optimized for this phone. Dead Trigger 2, Shadowgun DZ, Vice City, Most Wanted, RIptide GP2..... low fps and frame drops. Horrible.
Not to mention stuttering in games like ninja fruit and angry birds where it drops every couple of seconds to 50 or so.

Last edited:

MrAndroid12

Mar 30, 2011
Auckland
Same problem. Did anyone find a solution?
It seems like not a single game is optimized for this phone. Dead Trigger 2, Shadowgun DZ, Vice City, Most Wanted, RIptide GP2..... low fps and frame drops. Horrible.
Not to mention stuttering in games like ninja fruit and angry birds where it drops every couple of seconds to 50 or so.

Dead Trigger 2, Riptide GP2, Most Wanted (defaulted reflection?), Shadowgun DZ is smooth on max

The only problem I have is with all the Rockstar and EA games

TheBeast

Jun 6, 2013
Dead Trigger 2, Riptide GP2, Most Wanted (defaulted reflection?), Shadowgun DZ is smooth on max

The only problem I have is with all the Rockstar and EA games

27 fps average on NFS MW is far from smooth. The I9500 gets 40-60 fps.
Riptide GP2 is smooth when you lower the resolution but I expected it to run 30 and over on max res, but lower resolution isn't noticeable so it's ok.
Dead Trigger 2 and Shadowgun DZ run exactly the same, there are lag spikes every couple of seconds where it drops up to 10 frames, which is really bad. Take a look at the vid below, bad quality but you can kinda see the fps meter and how the frames drop from 30 to 24/23/21. Same thing with Dead trigger 2.
For example at 0:24 it drops from 30 to 22 and then quickly goes back up to 30.

http://youtu.be/bRTSBJ8RVoQ

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img823/9798/qxfs.png
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img823/812/41ng.png

30 is decent but those lag spikes....

You're not rooted so you can't check, but the fps meter confirms that what I'm seeing are indeed fps drops. Maybe you aren't noticing them, I just don't get how. It obviously lags and spoils your gaming experience...

Last edited:

MrAndroid12

Mar 30, 2011
Auckland
27 fps average on NFS MW is far from smooth. The I9500 gets 40-60 fps.
Riptide GP2 is smooth when you lower the resolution but I expected it to run 30 and over on max res, but lower resolution isn't noticeable so it's ok.
Dead Trigger 2 and Shadowgun DZ run exactly the same, there are lag spikes every couple of seconds where it drops up to 10 frames, which is really bad. Take a look at the vid below, bad quality but you can kinda see the fps meter and how the frames drop from 30 to 24/23/21. Same thing with Dead trigger 2.
For example at 0:24 it drops from 30 to 22 and then quickly goes back up to 30.

http://youtu.be/bRTSBJ8RVoQ

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img823/9798/qxfs.png
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img823/812/41ng.png

30 is decent but those lag spikes....

You're not rooted so you can't check, but the fps meter confirms that what I'm seeing are indeed fps drops. Maybe you aren't noticing them, I just don't get how. It obviously lags and spoils your gaming experience...

Which country are you from? perheps one that is pretty hot?

The problem you are describing, "27 fps average on NFS MW is far from smooth. The I9500 gets 40-60 fps.
Dead Trigger 2 and Shadowgun DZ run exactly the same, there are lag spikes every couple of seconds where it drops up to 10 frames"

only happens to me when I am inside with the heater turned on and one overheated phone.

neil522

Oct 20, 2011
The problem is not the phone,the game maker is the one to blame because they didn't optimize their games to our phone because of the many android phones around,imagine how much time it takes to optimize a game,maybe if samsung pays them we will all have a lag free games :)

TheBeast

Jun 6, 2013
Which country are you from? perheis why one does not buy android phones one that is pretty hot?

The problem you are describing, "27 fps average on NFS MW is far from smooth. The I9500 gets 40-60 fps.
Dead Trigger 2 and Shadowgun DZ run exactly the same, there are lag spikes every couple of seconds where it drops up to 10 frames"

only happens to me when I am inside with the heater turned on and one overheated phone.

Nope, temps are fine, around 30 c.

The problem is not the phone,the game maker is the one to blame because they didn't optimize their games to our phone because of the many android phones around,imagine how much time it takes to optimize a game,maybe if samsung pays them we will all have a lag free games :)

Yes but its fair to say that this phone doesn' offer smooth gaming, reason is irrelevant.
And yeah there are too many phones to be optimized for, this is why one does not buy an android phone for gaming -_-
I realized this too late.

MrAndroid12

Mar 30, 2011
Auckland
Nope, temps are fine, around 30 c.

Yes but its fair to say that this phone doesn' offer smooth gaming, reason is irrelevant.
And yeah there are too many phones to be optimized for, this is why one does not buy an android phone for gaming -_-
I realized this too late.

holy crap 30 degrees C.... I'd would be sweating like hell

TheBeast

Jun 6, 2013
holy crap 30 degrees C.... I'd would be sweating like hell

My be this OP put his finger where your problem can be located.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2702168

Thermal throttling is something that is present in all phones afaik. Games lag on the I9505 when it's cool as well, as on the screenshots and video I posted. When it hits some temp over 50 or so everything lags even more but that's another topic.

blizzybad

Oct 31, 2012
Timisoara
Thermal throttling is something that is present in all phones afaik. Games lag on the I9505 when it's cool as well, as on the screenshots and video I posted. When it hits some temp over 50 or so everything lags even more but that's another topic.
I think there is a fix for this problem....i think in themes and apps, someone posted how to make ur CPU go at the same speed when the game starts and after one hour of play....even tough the phone gets hot, it runs the games smooth and well. My i9505 runs any game without lag, on the right Rom with the right settings, no lag at all...Try different settings guys and keep the best one for your phone

gsmyth

Dec 16, 2010
Redmi Note 9 Pro
Redmi Note 9
I think there is a fix for this problem....i think in themes and apps, someone posted how to make ur CPU go at the same speed when the game starts and after one hour of play....even tough the phone gets hot, it runs the games smooth and well. My i9505 runs any game without lag, on the right Rom with the right settings, no lag at all...Try different settings guys and keep the best one for your phone

Below is link to the Xposed module that disables DVFS, is that what you are referring to? It seems to solve the issue of the CPU throttling and seems essential if you're gaming a lot on your phone.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2674928

Last edited:

TheBeast

Jun 6, 2013
I don't see the point in dealing with thermal throttling when the phone drops frames even when it's cool.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I did not have game performance issues with the 4.2 stock ROM back then, but IDK about stock 4.3.

Some AOSP-ROMs are slower in games than stock, others are faster. It also depends on the Kernel you are using of course.

A really fast ROM is broodplank's AOSP from source, you can find it in the i9505 original Android development thread. I am using it with broodplank's stock Kernel and changed some options via the broodparts-app.

I am very satisfied with its performance and stability, so you can give it a try. It is pure AOSP, though, so you lose all TW features. With XPOSED/Gravitybox, you can add some customizing features, which is enough for me. Some other features like iView and multiwindows are gone, but I don't really miss them.

But of course your requirements could be different, so you have to find out what's best suited for you by trying it out.