[Q] Katkiss 4.2.2 (KK) #17 Display issues

Search This thread

rastacalavera

Oct 16, 2011
Hi guys,

I wanted to put this in the development section but I guess I don't have permission yet. I am just wondering if anyone running this rom is experiencing strange issues with the display suddenly turning off for no reason. It is not "locking" itself, you can still hear the keyboard tones and such, but nothing is displayed. When you hit the power button you hear the "lock" noise, then you need to tap it again to get the unlock screen.

This happens randomly and sometimes it gets stuck in this terrible loop where the display will only come on for a few milliseconds before turning off again. I've read some display posts about wall papers and such not working and the settings for that does not solve my problem.

Some more info: I have a b60 tablet, using trebuchet as the launcher

Any help or advice would be welcomed, it would also be nice to know if I am the only one who suffers from this annoying glitch.

Cheers!

Piehti

Oct 12, 2012
Sorry I am an idiot, I do have 19 running currently

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

Hopefully the answering to questions is not as forbidden as to question them! >:D

Well I got some guesses:

I read about TF owners who suffer from strange behaviour when charigng theire tabs. I was reading in that direction beauce mine does something strange too: When it's charging and I touch it, it feels like light cirbbling in the fingers, when I drive em around the housing. Nothing else, but I was worryied to get an electrical hit. But it's quiet common among a lot of users a nothing to worry as far as I read. Anyway: Others got "ghost inputs". They don't touch the display but there are inputs. Some could fix that by getting a new housing. Others but dropping theire china-AC-adapters anothers by returning the tab.

Other guess: Power button R.I.P. or a cold sobe r point. Should not be that a big thing to fix - when located... Try if you can influence the on/ off behaviour by pressing on the sides around the powerbutton or other critical edges near it.

The other thing could imagin is the most often made and most often denied error: Wrong (or none) wiping / formating. (Actually I think in your paticullary case it's not this but...) I know most ROMs say it would be okay to dirty flash the #19 about eG the #17. But I wouldn't advice to do so!

My way of a clean installation

Just do backups with third party software like Next Launcher, export contacts, etc... Then copy the backup folders and contacts, etc ( if not on external SD) to a save place. After you are done run Titanium Backup and save all your apps and application data. I would NOT recommend to backup system data as well . It actually is (partially) working but cleaner is cooler. Done? Cool. I you need something special you will have to try. :>

meandmytutorials.blogspot.com for exact stepbystep walkthrough.

Reboot into recovery.

Then wipe the hell out of the internal memory. Factory reset + cache formats + dalvik format + whatever. (CARE dont format your external SD or USB if connected. Else you will loose all your data!). When using eG TWRP 2.6.3.0-X or something, also do the advanced format. I eject the external SDs and USB devices before doing so... just to be sure. After the formats / wipes I reboot in recovery. When prompted, I tell the TWRP to reinstall SU. When rebooting I reinsert the SDs etcs. Back in recovery I install the ROM, install GApps, clear dalvik and reboot to into system. There I do all the system configuration and reboot 2x. I do NOT let goole restore anything or activate any localization services or something.

Then I turn display on to 30 mins before idle. Resaon: I do the titanium restore and suffert problems when the screen turned off while backup was restoring. And my backup is aout 10GB.Annoying. Copy back the backup folders and restore the backups with the third party apps. Import contacts if you are not syncing with google or something. Restore launcher settings and stuff. Now I let the tablet boot another 2x and give it some time to settle. About 30 mins. You can see how hard it is working / syncing when opening the gallery or something else. Turn back display to 2-5 mins. Alls done.

Cheers

Last edited:

Piehti

Oct 12, 2012
Delete... Tapatalk doubles my post..,
Gesendet von meinem TF101 mit Tapatalk

rastacalavera

Oct 16, 2011
I did a fresh wipe/install last night and the problem still persists but not as frequently. Still really limits my use which is why I haven't replied back in so long. Just let the thing sit there cause it was basically unusable. I will check his site later to see if there is a new rom.

csb5731

Jan 6, 2012
Installed another rom, 4.2.2 #23 and the problem persists. Link to video to show example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8BmN-dNSOk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Honestly, have not seen that issue at all using Kat Kiss 4.4.2 (I use trebuchet, too). So, it's not doing it on other ROMs (like OmniRom 4.4.x or older Kat Kiss or EOS ROMS?

I used to get some occasional screen-tear glitches with 4.3 and maybe earlier, but I don't recall seeing them anymore.

henrg

Nov 2, 2010
Sydney
Issue with 4.2.2

I had a similar issue with 4.2 but it was cleared up mostly with a full wipe and flash to KK 4.3 (v29 I think). I still had some issues on 4.3 with my b70 tab not turning on. If I unplugged my charger just after the screen went into save mode sometimes I would not get a response from the power button until I plugged in the charger again.

---------- Post added at 08:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 PM ----------

Further to my previous post, it seems most of my previous issues have been resolved with a wipe and flash to KKKK 4.4.2 (23c). I am using Nova as a launcher and not the ROM stock launchers.

rastacalavera

Oct 16, 2011
Really? Weird... Same rom with a b60 tablet. I also used nova but stopped because I thought that might be part of the problem