[How To] Root SGP 4.0 YP-G1 (us)

Search This thread
This thread was created to verify and promote the SuperOneClick rooting method that worked for me. I purchased a YP-G1 SGP 4.0 from Amazon recently and found enough hints on what to try for gaining ROOT.

All credit for this method goes to CLShortFuse and his SuperOneClick process.

There may be other steps to get this running, but below is what I did and it worked.

1. Enable USB Debugging.
2. Connect YP-G1 to PC, mount storage.
3. Locate Samsung Kies install on phone storage, install Samsung Kies.
4. Reboot after install.
5. Open Kies, run the update. (Kies never successfully connected to the YP-G1. I believe this was just to get drivers installed.)
6. Extract SuperOneClick to a folder on your PC's HD. (I chose a folder with no spaces in the name. Not sure if it matters.)
7. Unmount storage from the phone's notification bar.
8. Launch SuperOneClick.exe.
9. Click ROOT on SuperOneClick application on the PC.
10. Sit back and wait. It takes quite a while with mandatory 40s pauses.

This method may include steps that are not actually needed, but it is what I did and rooting the YP-G1 was successful. I will try to update the steps if I found a way to take out a few steps.

User etrnldrk reported that the update to Kies was not necessarily.

Last edited:

etrnldrk

May 15, 2009
Columbus
You don't need to update Kies to get this to work. The drivers installed just fine for me with the version included on my player.

thanks dude worked like a charm on my 5inch yp -G70

Good to hear this method was attempted on a 5" player. I really like this device and since I bought it for my Niece as a Christmas present, I might pick up the 5" for myself.

I've not had to process root again on the device, so I don't have much to update yet. Sounds like the Kies Update step was not needed, so thanks for reporting that.

Rasa11

Dec 24, 2011
Lunar Base VII, Sector IX
Sorry if I sound noobish but, what is 2.3? Is that the Android OS version?

Yeah, Pretty sure that's what they mean.

I also really like this device!
Best media player/mp3 player Ive ever had/used.
I have the 4.0, and a friend of mine has the 5.0,
and the 5.0's screen does not look nearly as good as the 4.0!

Also,
Ive only owned this for a couple/few weeks now,
and have not rooted it yet...
But am sorely tempted to do so..
However, I have no windows OS on any of my machines,
So what's the best route for someone on a Linux machine, with no access to windohs?

Really don't want to have to use an emulator to run a .exe file. lol

lardman

Oct 20, 2007
Bath
I used SuperOneClick on my UK 5.0 and it worked fine to obtain root.

I also said yes to installing busybox permanently, which was perhaps a mistake as it segfaults when I try to run it.

I believe this is because the /system partition didn't have sufficient space for the binary (it had ~650kb space remaining when mounted rw after the su binary was installed), so it has been truncated (and hence doesn't run well ;))

This leads to a problem when trying to install busybox from anywhere else too, and to solve this I had to grab a static busybox binary (from Debian iirc) place it in /data and create a symlink to /system/xbin/busybox (need to remount the partition rw temporarily). I didn't bother to create the symlinks, but probably should do.

transportguy

Apr 7, 2007
Followed the directions & tried several times using XP and W7 machines. Both get stuck at "Running psneuter..." (See below). Anyone else have this problem?

I tried w/ Debugging on and off. Also tried mounted and unmounted. Failed.
I tried closing GO launcher (which I read on another thread), and running stock. Failed.
I tried 3 different versions of KIES (Kies_2.0.0.11034_5, Kies_2.0.0.11033_25 & Kies_2.1.1.11124_17_6). Failed.

Any ideas?

-------------

Getting OS version...
OK

Pushing psneuter...
375 KS/c (585731 bytes in 1.523s)

OK
chmod psneuter...

OK
Running psneuter...

-stuck here-

---------- Post added at 04:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:53 PM ----------

--Nevermind--

I ran an updated version of superone click and it worked. I was using 1.9.5 previously. 2.3.3.0 worked!

Last edited:

apapousek

Jul 18, 2011

Also,
So what's the best route for someone on a Linux machine, with no access to windohs?

I was in the same boat as you. I love Linux, and hate Windows. But, I needed to root my device. Try this. It worked for my 5.0, and believe it should work for the 4.0. It uses the same zergRush exploit as Super One Click does. It's built on the same stuff as doomlord's root, too.

Reactions: Rasa11

klin1344

Nov 11, 2011
Followed the directions & tried several times using XP and W7 machines. Both get stuck at "Running psneuter..." (See below). Anyone else have this problem?

I tried w/ Debugging on and off. Also tried mounted and unmounted. Failed.
I tried closing GO launcher (which I read on another thread), and running stock. Failed.
I tried 3 different versions of KIES (Kies_2.0.0.11034_5, Kies_2.0.0.11033_25 & Kies_2.1.1.11124_17_6). Failed.

Any ideas?

-------------

Getting OS version...
OK

Pushing psneuter...
375 KS/c (585731 bytes in 1.523s)

OK
chmod psneuter...

OK
Running psneuter...

-stuck here-

Try doomlords easy rooting toolkit, I used that and it rooted my galaxy player 4.0 easily.
link : xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1321582
hope I helped!:)

TheTehk17

Apr 5, 2011
Does anyone know if this works for Android 2.3.6 on the US Player 4.0? I've been looking everywhere and can't find anything for 2.3.6 (which apparently patches the zergRush exploit).

Cokemonkey11

Dec 24, 2010
The OP should be updated to reflect that the root won't work on 2.3.6 until a custom rom/kernel is installed.

klemmaniac

Jul 24, 2014
Flash either a custom rom or a custom kernel and then it is supposed to work.

Which custom rom or kernel? I've been trying to figure out how to get started rooting my US 4.0 player with 2.3.6 and it's proving incredibly confusing. Is there anywhere that lists a step by step process?? I know I need to unlock the bootloader - can't find any specific info on that for my particular player. I know I need to flash a ROM or Kernel, but can't find specific info on which one works for 2.3.6 for the YP-G1. I just can't seem to find any real useful info on how to proceed - could anyone throw me a bone?

zaclimon

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 14, 2011
Montréal
Which custom rom or kernel? I've been trying to figure out how to get started rooting my US 4.0 player with 2.3.6 and it's proving incredibly confusing. Is there anywhere that lists a step by step process?? I know I need to unlock the bootloader - can't find any specific info on that for my particular player. I know I need to flash a ROM or Kernel, but can't find specific info on which one works for 2.3.6 for the YP-G1. I just can't seem to find any real useful info on how to proceed - could anyone throw me a bone?

First, you don't have to unlock any bootloader period. As far as the custom kernel goes, the only one that works well is TerraSilent. Because mostly everybody already switched up to a custom rom, GB was pretty much left up. I would recommend that you update your device when you'll have flashed a custom kernel or rooted your device.

Reactions: klemmaniac

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This thread was created to verify and promote the SuperOneClick rooting method that worked for me. I purchased a YP-G1 SGP 4.0 from Amazon recently and found enough hints on what to try for gaining ROOT.

All credit for this method goes to CLShortFuse and his SuperOneClick process.

There may be other steps to get this running, but below is what I did and it worked.

1. Enable USB Debugging.
    2. Connect YP-G1 to PC, mount storage.
    3. Locate Samsung Kies install on phone storage, install Samsung Kies.
    4. Reboot after install.
    5. Open Kies, run the update. (Kies never successfully connected to the YP-G1. I believe this was just to get drivers installed.)
    6. Extract SuperOneClick to a folder on your PC's HD. (I chose a folder with no spaces in the name. Not sure if it matters.)
    7. Unmount storage from the phone's notification bar.
    8. Launch SuperOneClick.exe.
    9. Click ROOT on SuperOneClick application on the PC.
    10. Sit back and wait. It takes quite a while with mandatory 40s pauses.

This method may include steps that are not actually needed, but it is what I did and rooting the YP-G1 was successful. I will try to update the steps if I found a way to take out a few steps.

User etrnldrk reported that the update to Kies was not necessarily.
    ESET smart security says this file is loaded with trojan viruses. I wont touch it!!!!

Did you read the thread? It's normal that your antivirus will detect virus because many anti-virus detect exploit as virus but it's a false alarm.

Also,

I was in the same boat as you. I love Linux, and hate Windows. But, I needed to root my device. Try this. It worked for my 5.0, and believe it should work for the 4.0. It uses the same zergRush exploit as Super One Click does. It's built on the same stuff as doomlord's root, too.

First, you don't have to unlock any bootloader period. As far as the custom kernel goes, the only one that works well is TerraSilent. Because mostly everybody already switched up to a custom rom, GB was pretty much left up. I would recommend that you update your device when you'll have flashed a custom kernel or rooted your device.
    oh man, thanks a lot for responding. Ok, my primary goal is simply to use voodoo sound. That's why I got the SGP 4.0 in the first place - originally I had a 3.6 player and realized that voodoo is not compatible with that one. I thought I would simply install steve's kernel 3.0 and be ready to go (I still don't understand if I need a ROM with it, or can just use stock that's already on there because the thread I see on it calls it a kernel and ROM like it's included. also does installing this automatically root the device or is that a separate step??). I think TerraSilent includes voodoo sound, but if I can avoid any extra steps (i.e. upgrading the OS beyong Gingerbread) then I would like to avoid that unless you think there is a very good reason to go through the trouble. I've used GB before on the 3.6 and thought it was fine and I could do whatever I needed. I just want to keep the same thing and use voodoo sound on the 4.0 player now. I'm just having trouble figuring out exactly what I need to download, and what order to install it, and whether it is in fact compatible with 2.3.6 (most things I've found seem to work with 2.3.5, but not the version I have).

I guess in conclusion, in order to use voodoo sound on my YP-G1 US version with 2.3.6, can I just install Steve's Kernel 3.0? i've asked in forums whether it works well with 2.3.6, but haven't gotten a response yet. any advice on how to proceed would be real helpful. thanks,.

Woow Steve's kernel, it's been a long time. XD You would definitely be better off with Terrasilent as it was made for 2.3. I believe Steve is still made for 2.2. AFAIK TerraSlient already comes in a tar so you only have to flash it with Odin.