New 98.72.165.en.US update!! What's included!

Search This thread
Just installed the latest update on my Motorola DROID RAZR MAXX! And I thought VzW & Moto forgot about us! It's still rockin Android 4.1.2 but maybe something else got improved! Off I go to factory reset to improve speed & stability! Anyone know what this update includes!?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using XDA Premium HD app

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1389883762112.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1389883762112.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 3,033
Last edited:

beyedup

Mar 28, 2011
Just got update on my Motorola DROID RAZR MAXX! And I thought VzW & Moto forgot about us! Still on Android 4.1.2 but maybe something else got improved! Off I go to factory reset to improve speed & stability! Anyone know what this update includes!?

You don't ned to factory reset to do the update. And it is only a small update to fix roaming and some radio improvements. Not that bad at all.
I was rooted and on a custom ROM. I used Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper app from Play Store to backup root, temporarily unroot and then take the new OTA update.
Once update was complete and phone rebooted, I went back into VooDoo and restored root. I did another reboot to fully restore root privileges. And all is good again. And stock ROM has new update and I can still go and use a custom ROM if desired.
Hope this helps ya.

Already updated, Gains in performance already!

You don't ned to factory reset to do the update. And it is only a small update to fix roaming and some radio improvements. Not that bad at all.

Oh, sorry, I didn't mean to insinuate that a Factory Reset was needed to DO the update, I had already did the update, as you can see in the screen cap! But like the last 2 updates, I figured this latest one could stand a Factory Reset in order to improve system and app stability, as well as provide additional performance gains intended by the update (at least that was the case with the last update, maybe not the 1st). When I did the last update, early last year, the factor reset GREATLY improved my phone's battery life, system stability and performance. However, after using this new update for the last 24hrs, I have (oddly enough) seen some performance gains! I haven't done the factory reset yet, and will hold off to see if performance continues to be evident.

And by performance gains, I'm referring to app speed, reduction in lag (though, of course, the phone is still laggy as all hell, but it's a lot better), and animations/transitions.

Oh, and thanks so much @beyedup for the quick rundown of what was done in the update!

Last edited:

Drunkula

Jan 22, 2012
Denton, TX
I haven't seen an all inclusive list but what I did see is very minor at most. Seems like it was directed at Canadian carrier issues.

ncshawng

Jun 16, 2011
Boot Loop after 98.72.165.en.us

My phone seems to be boot-looping following the attempted install of 98.72.165.en.us.

I get the android on his back with his guts open and a Red triangle and exclamation point inside.

The phone then reboots and appears to come up normally, but within a minute or two, it indicates that it is powering down.

It then reboots again, I see the android again. blah blah blah.

Suggestions on fixing this would be appreciated.

My phone seems to be boot-looping following the attempted install of 98.72.165.en.us.

I get the android on his back with his guts open and a Red triangle and exclamation point inside.

The phone then reboots and appears to come up normally, but within a minute or two, it indicates that it is powering down.

It then reboots again, I see the android again. blah blah blah.

Suggestions on fixing this would be appreciated.

When you see android with red triangle,press vol- and vol+ and then find the option factory reset.

Sent from my Razr XT910

Has anyone actually seen improvement from this yet.. Because if its radio improvement I pretty sure we didn't need one. When I have full 4G signal there is no other devices faster.. I've compared the xt912 to the HTC DNA and One, Samsung Galaxy Note, and the new Droid line as well as many others including the N4 and 5 and the xt912 beats them by a large margin every time .. Wouldn't be worth the update if that went backwards! Just curious if anyone actual noticed improvement before I let this update fly!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Haskett1

Jan 5, 2011
Has anyone actually seen improvement from this yet.. Because if its radio improvement I pretty sure we didn't need one. When I have full 4G signal there is no other devices faster.. I've compared the xt912 to the HTC DNA and One, Samsung Galaxy Note, and the new Droid line as well as many others including the N4 and 5 and the xt912 beats them by a large margin every time .. Wouldn't be worth the update if that went backwards! Just curious if anyone actual noticed improvement before I let this update fly!

I haven't had the opportunity to test it yet, but the radio needed MAJOR improvement. The 3G/4G radio may have been fine, but the BT radio was a problem. Ever since the first JB update, the only apps that work through my car's BT are the stock music app and Poweramp. Everything worked great in ICS. I've read numerous posts with people having the same issues with various makes and models of cars.

EDIT: Survival mode in Super SU Pro worked great with this update.

Last edited:
Reactions: heblu

Haskett1

Jan 5, 2011
Is it necessary to unroot to do the update?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

No, but it may be necessary to re-root after the update. I'm not sure if any of the current root methods still work with the new update, but OTA root survival methods still seem to work fine. For all I know, the current update may not even be killing root access in the first place, but you should definitely play it safe by using something like OTA Rootkeeper or SuperSU Survival mode (Pro only).

JStrem

Oct 5, 2013
Its a small update for Canadian users. It's nothing major. Everything else is the same. I had to unroot to install and reroot after update. xt912 Verizon CDMA

futuraforce

Jan 18, 2014
update fail

Why do I get an update fail message with this update? I have downloaded the update many times. Android man eventually lays on his back with red triangle. After this is the reboot with fail message.

Stock rooted rzr maxx running jb of course

WiFi hotspot hack done via sqlite

beyedup

Mar 28, 2011
Why do I get an update fail message with this update? I have downloaded the update many times. Android man eventually lays on his back with red triangle. After this is the reboot with fail message.

Stock rooted rzr maxx running jb of course

WiFi hotspot hack done via sqlite

Did you unroot if rooted? If not, backup your root. Then unroot. Download OTA update and let it install. Then go back and restore root. I used Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper. This time it has worked fine for me. I know I've heard from others that it has failed to restore root for them.
I am not sure if RAZR Utility will still root with this update. I haven't heard anything yet if it will or not.
Hope this helps.

Haskett1

Jan 5, 2011
Yes I temp unrooted with vodoo. Don't know what's wrong???

I know a factory reset might not be desirable, but it may be necessary in your case. I would backup any app data you don't want to lose, then go in to recovery mode and do a factory reset, then download Rootkeeper, backup root and temp unroot, then attempt to update.

my2cents

Jul 24, 2010
California
I was hoping this update would fix a problem with bluetooth that I have had since jelly bean came to our phones. The volume control does not work. It's either full volume or no volume when connected to a speaker. The problem is pretty well documented on the web. I had my fingers crossed. No luck... :(

Haskett1

Jan 5, 2011
I was hoping this update would fix a problem with bluetooth that I have had since jelly bean came to our phones. The volume control does not work. It's either full volume or no volume when connected to a speaker. The problem is pretty well documented on the web. I had my fingers crossed. No luck... :(

You and me both! Ever since JB, BT functions with my car stereo have been severely limited. I have to turn off BT to use navigation or any other app that isn't either the stock music app or Poweramp. Unfortunately, this update didn't change a thing. :(

JStrem

Oct 5, 2013
You and me both! Ever since JB, BT functions with my car stereo have been severely limited. I have to turn off BT to use navigation or any other app that isn't either the stock music app or Poweramp. Unfortunately, this update didn't change a thing. :(
That's odd. my BT works fine with car, wireless speakers, wireless headphones, and truck on my xt912

Reactions: bwehry

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just got update on my Motorola DROID RAZR MAXX! And I thought VzW & Moto forgot about us! Still on Android 4.1.2 but maybe something else got improved! Off I go to factory reset to improve speed & stability! Anyone know what this update includes!?

I was rooted and on a custom ROM. I used Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper app from Play Store to backup root, temporarily unroot and then take the new OTA update.
    Once update was complete and phone rebooted, I went back into VooDoo and restored root. I did another reboot to fully restore root privileges. And all is good again. And stock ROM has new update and I can still go and use a custom ROM if desired.
    Hope this helps ya.
    Don't bother trying the Verizon update without having your root backed up with Root Keeper. The Droid RAZR Utility's root exploit won't work after the Verizon update and you'll have to go back through the whole process again - wipe/reinstall/root/backup-root/update/restore-root.

Well, that statement is factually incorrect. First, take out SD card, then clear data for smart actions in system settings>apps>all. Then run the exploit, #3 in the RAZR utility. Upon the first reboot, If you hold down pwr, vol up, vol down at the same time, then select BP only. Finally, continue to follow the steps listed in the exploit. You will be rooted.

So, in summary:
    The Droid RAZR Utility's root exploit WILL work if you "BP only" in the middle of the first boot. This is the fastest way to root your phone after the NEW 98.72.165 update.

I haven't had the opportunity to test it yet, but the radio needed MAJOR improvement. The 3G/4G radio may have been fine, but the BT radio was a problem. Ever since the first JB update, the only apps that work through my car's BT are the stock music app and Poweramp. Everything worked great in ICS. I've read numerous posts with people having the same issues with various makes and models of cars.

EDIT: Survival mode in Super SU Pro worked great with this update.
    That's odd. my BT works fine with car, wireless speakers, wireless headphones, and truck on my xt912
    I don't want this update. My phone is flashed to work with Page Plus and I'm afraid of ruining the flash. I keep getting the reminder and keep selecting "remind me later." I have searched for the update file with ES File Explorer but cannot find it so I'm assuming it won't actually download until I accept the update, which I don't want to do. Will the reminder stop eventually or is there a way to disable it?