[Guide] Battery Saving Tips (Updated: 32h15m Life!)

Search This thread

kalans

May 28, 2014
UPDATE: Check post #2 for the updated information!

Hey guys, first off I know many are going to say "Another battery thread.." but I wanted to share what I have been doing to my Galaxy S5 and see what you guys are doing.

Device:
-Samsung Galaxy S5 (AT&T)
-Rooted (towelroot)
-Running The Extreme Debloated ROM below
-Stock battery

ROM: Being that we don't have any custom roms yet, less is more. You of course could use titanium backup or the like to freeze many of the apps, uninstall many of the bloat apps yourself or you could install the Extreme Debloated ROM from the link below.
[NCE}{SafeStrap]DeOdexed/Extreme Debloat/Stock/Android L Features/Under 400mb!

Screen: We all know the more dim the screen the better the battery life, I don't use auto brightness but some do.

Greenify: If you aren't using this yet, you should! Rooted or not, this app works!

Auto-Sync: If you can function without this, turn it off. All apps, change to sync less frequently.

CPU: If you are only using your device for simple tasks, underclock it. I have mine running at 300 MHz-1.498 GHz interactive cfq. Of course you can set the Governor to be on demand etc for when you need it. I use No-frills CPU Control

Llama: There are many apps that you can use but Llama is free and is easy to get going, check it out here. Below is what I have my events set to, of course there is a bit more to it (advanced settings, aka delays etc). I have the Llama events that I use attached below, just install Llama and then place the text file in the Llama folder (stored on the local sd, internal). Go to events and press the menu button, then import and select it.

Explanation Of Events For Llama:
1-When screen turns off, but is not in a call and music is not playing. Delay for 1 minute and then disable mobile data, disable wifi, run the shortcut (from greenify) "Hibernate Now", disable account sync. The delay can be customized, but I like it at 1 minute. I have read from Intelli3G that turning the signals on and off can effect battery life, so previously I had it with no delay. This is fine if you don't turn your phone on and off too often.

2-When screen turns on, enable mobile data, enable wifi, enable account sync (but don't update). This is straight forward, turn it all back on. You can select the account sync to update if you want.

3-Wifi off if not connected when screen turns on. Delay for 40 seconds and then disable wifi if not connected. Since event #2 turns on the wifi by default, this will turn it off if it is not connected to a network.

4-Mobile data off if on wifi. When the phone connects to wifi, delay for 45 seconds and then disable mobile data. You will still get texts/calls etc, but not use data of the network.

5-Mobile data on when wifi off. Just as event #4 but the reverse, since we turned off mobile data while the wifi was on we need to turn it on. No delay, because we want it back right away.

6-Phone powered on. When the phone turns on, delay for 30 seconds and then run the greenify hibernate now shortcut. You can increase the delay if you have any processes starting up on boot.

AFWall+: Any firewall app will do just fine, but if you want to specify the IPv6 support (4G) then this one works great! Just realize it is default to selecting apps allowed to use the network (aka white list), which for me is just the browser/messaging/swiftkey. I have a toggle widget set on my screen that I turn on/off depending if I need anything special (use the market/youtube etc). This keeps them from using the network, thus saving your battery.

Autostart Processes: You can use many apps to change this, but I used SD Maid. Turn off anything you don't need running in the background (facebook etc).

Ads: Might not save much, but blocking ads will help on your data usage at least. I like Adaway. I also like to patch the apps from using ads (paranoid much?), I would think that covering two bases is better than one. Use Luckpatcher for this.

Apps: Back on my first smart phone (Palm Pre), we didn't have specific apps at first for normal things like facebook so we used the browser for the majority of our needs. You can use instagram/facebook/email etc all via the browser, thus reducing app usage in the background (data use, push notifications etc). I have tried fast for facebook and many small email clients, but you are sacrificing lots. The mobile pages work close to the app, better than a clone app. If you are like me I like the style and functionality of facebook/gmail/instagram, but I have not found any apps that pull this off very well outside of the official ones. Being you can block the apps via firewall and force stop them with greenify it does help, but apps like facebook/gmail they keep checking for updates and keep running causing wakelocks. Some apps like AquaMail seem to do the trick for me.

Xposed Framework: I LOVE the functionality that it provides, as it reminds me of the modding that we had back on WebOS but with these frameworks running in the background it causes some battery lose.

Closing Notes: There are many other options and possibilities depending on how you use your phone, and of course your mileage may vary. These are from my own testing and readings, some things may not even help or be very effective but this is why I am posting this. Let us share what works best for our device! Being I don't run XPosed I can't use Intelli3G, but since I am cutting off data where I can it helps. I would be interested in putting my phone in 2G/3G/4GLTE with a button click, might be possible with Llama but I haven't tried.

Credits:
-@geohot for the towelroot!
-@elliwigy and @raynan for their awesome work on debloating the stock ROM!
-@mechnesium for his suggestions on tasker/Llama!
-@oasisfeng for greenify!
-@hrk for No-frills CPU Control!
-@Kebab3000 for Llama, the reason my battery lasts longer!
-@ukanth for AFWall+!
-dominik for adaway!
-ChelpuS for LuckPatcher!

If you have found ANY of this useful, have any suggestions, comments etc please post below. Click Thanks if you want to show appreciation if this did help you. Thanks!

Attachments

• Events.png
    Events.png
    99.7 KB · Views: 1,592
  • Llama_Events.txt
    1.1 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:

kalans

May 28, 2014
Update #1:
-Coming soon!

Test #1:
Using the above information in post #1 I was able to get 32 Hours 15 Min (1 d 8 h 14 m 54 s) with 6 Hours Screen On Time! Check screen shots below for the proof, and comment below to the awesomeness! I will be doing a new test with the updates coming to the OP!

Test Subject:
-Check the attached BetterBatteryStats log for complete info!
-Rooted (towelroot)
-Stock battery
-ROM: [NCE}{SafeStrap]DeOdexed/Extreme Debloat/Stock/Android L Features/Under 400mb!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-07-22-17-30-32.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-07-22-17-30-32.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 1,185
  • Screenshot_2014-07-22-17-30-38.png
    Screenshot_2014-07-22-17-30-38.png
    247.3 KB · Views: 1,149
  • Screenshot_2014-07-22-17-30-45.png
    Screenshot_2014-07-22-17-30-45.png
    144.7 KB · Views: 1,189
  • Screenshot_2014-07-22-17-31-42.png
    Screenshot_2014-07-22-17-31-42.png
    116.4 KB · Views: 1,151
  • BetterBatteryStats-2014-07-22_173106083.txt
    16.4 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

Russ77

Jul 26, 2012
can you post up some screen shots of your battery life / stats?

I'm on stock, rooted, bloat is frozen. I'm using grernify for games and other apps I don't use regularly or don't rely on for push notifications. I use adaway for ad blocking.

with just those steps taken, and using the phone as a smartphone, I can easily get 20+ hours off charger and a screen use of 5 hours.

I understand what you're trying to do here but what is the point of diminishing returns?

kalans

May 28, 2014
I have gotten around the 18 hour mark, but out of the box I was only getting around 12. I will try getting an accurate screenshot and try out a few other settings. Our batteries may vary slightly I'm sure, and at some point I bet there are diminishing returns like with underclocking. I will test it out and report back :)

Thanks for the input @Russ77

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Free mobile app

GDofWR420

May 3, 2011
Updated! I was able to get 32h 15m battery life with 6h of screen on time! @Russ77 @GDofWR420 @UnhoIy

Can't put this thing down. Battery is great, I'm always on it and get almost 7 hours screen time before I throw it on the charger. For me I keep the screen on the lower setting with auto turned off and screen set to dynamic for that deep, bold color.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Russ77

Jul 26, 2012
I'm at 4 hours 17 minutes screen use and have 42% battery remaining. I'll easily surpass 7 hours of screen use and probably 20 hours total battery.

when idle on mobile signal my phone consumes about 1%/hr. if I wasn't playing couch potato today (its 107 outside) and was doing stuff I'd use around 6 hours of screen time and could go 30 hours total battery time.

this is all with no battery saving measures taken other than greenifying all banking and game apps.

shortydoggg

Apr 11, 2011
Hey guys, first off I know many are going to say "Another battery thread.."

Yes, to play devil's advocate here:

The apps and tweaks are going to make some difference, but it's more about how you use your phone, rather than doing a bunch of tweaks and modifications, which many of us have done at some point or another (the same tweaks but maybe with different apps and Roms).

I've seen posts around here talking about getting 3 and 4 days average, and sometimes 5 days of battery, and I always say that's because you all don't use your phone that much.

It's all about how you use your phone. I only get up to 48 hours with moderate use; that's terrible battery life by the standards around here; and with heavy use, with my brightness cranked up because I like my colors pretty and bright, and with consistently playing games all day, I'm only getting about 4 and a half hours screen on time. That battery life might be 7 hours or 2 full days, depending on how much else I'm doing with the phone.

kalans

May 28, 2014
I love how I posted this thread to help others but instead it is just getting people to post about the opposite.. I just got 54+ hours out of the OEM battery, but I am sure nothing I did helped.. Insert sarcasm here.

shortydoggg

Apr 11, 2011
I love how I posted this thread to help others but instead it is just getting people to post about the opposite.. I just got 54+ hours out of the OEM battery, but I am sure nothing I did helped.. Insert sarcasm here.

Oh, I don't doubt the 54 hours battery life. Like I said, the apps and tweaks are going to make some difference. But it all depends on how you use your phone. I'm not going to get 54 hours battery, even if I use your phone because of what I do. I'm playing games, or streaming radio, or watching movies or Youtube, and that's not all day, and with my screen bright.

Just me personally, I don't like to worry too much about how much battery life I'm getting. When I start doing that, then I find myself going out my way and doing things different (such as frequently checking the battery stats and stretching the phone's downtime) like I would not normally do, trying to see how much battery that I can actually get, instead of just enjoying the phone as I would normally use it.

When I had my old HTC Evo a few years back, I was doing everything that you're doing, and then some (as you can find several of these threads for every phone), trying to get every little ounce of juice that I could out that miserable battery. Same type apps and Roms, just different names. I had apps that turned off Wifi, data, bluetooth, and even crashed the phone once in a while. I actually got used to turning my screen brightness all the way down so that I could barely see anything. And it was great having a Rom so de-bloated, that I got a chance to find out what was missing when I got lost driving and needed directions. Yeah, it made a difference in the battery all right.

Last edited:

wingedpanther

Mar 8, 2014
Kerala(Home)//Riyadh(Present)

Hey guys, first off I know many are going to say "Another battery thread.." but I wanted to share what I have been doing to my Galaxy S5 and see what you guys are doing.

Device:
-Rooted (towelroot)
-Stock battery

ROM: Being that we don't have any custom roms yet, less is more. You of course could use titanium backup or the like to freeze many of the apps, uninstall many of the bloat apps yourself or you could install the Extreme Debloated ROM from the link below.

Screen: We all know the more dim the screen the better the battery life, I don't use auto brightness but some do.

Greenify: If you aren't using this yet, you should! Rooted or not, this app works!

Auto-Sync: If you can function without this, turn it off. All apps, change to sync less frequently.

CPU: If you are only using your device for simple tasks, underclock it. I have mine running at 300 MHz-1.498 GHz interactive cfq. Of course you can set the Governor to be on demand etc for when you need it. I use No-frills CPU Control

Llama: There are many apps that you can use but Llama is free and is easy to get going, check it out here. Below is what I have my events set to, of course there is a bit more to it (advanced settings, aka delays etc). I have the Llama events that I use attached below, just install Llama and then place the text file in the Llama folder (stored on the local sd, internal). Go to events and press the menu button, then import and select it.

1-When screen turns off, but is not in a call and music is not playing. Delay for 1 minute and then disable mobile data, disable wifi, run the shortcut (from greenify) "Hibernate Now", disable account sync. The delay can be customized, but I like it at 1 minute. I have read from Intelli3G that turning the signals on and off can effect battery life, so previously I had it with no delay. This is fine if you don't turn your phone on and off too often.

2-When screen turns on, enable mobile data, enable wifi, enable account sync (but don't update). This is straight forward, turn it all back on. You can select the account sync to update if you want.

3-Wifi off if not connected when screen turns on. Delay for 40 seconds and then disable wifi if not connected. Since event #2 turns on the wifi by default, this will turn it off if it is not connected to a network.

4-Mobile data off if on wifi. When the phone connects to wifi, delay for 45 seconds and then disable mobile data. You will still get texts/calls etc, but not use data of the network.

5-Mobile data on when wifi off. Just as event #4 but the reverse, since we turned off mobile data while the wifi was on we need to turn it on. No delay, because we want it back right away.

6-Phone powered on. When the phone turns on, delay for 30 seconds and then run the greenify hibernate now shortcut. You can increase the delay if you have any processes starting up on boot.

AFWall+: Any firewall app will do just fine, but if you want to specify the IPv6 support (4G) then this one works great! Just realize it is default to selecting apps allowed to use the network (aka white list), which for me is just the browser/messaging/swiftkey. I have a toggle widget set on my screen that I turn on/off depending if I need anything special (use the market/youtube etc). This keeps them from using the network, thus saving your battery.

Autostart Processes: You can use many apps to change this, but I used SD Maid. Turn off anything you don't need running in the background (facebook etc).

Ads: Might not save much, but blocking ads will help on your data usage at least. I like Adaway. I also like to patch the apps from using ads (paranoid much?), I would think that covering two bases is better than one. Use Luckpatcher for this.

Apps: Back on my first smart phone (Palm Pre), we didn't have specific apps at first for normal things like facebook so we used the browser for the majority of our needs. You can use instagram/facebook/email etc all via the browser, thus reducing app usage in the background (data use, push notifications etc). I have tried fast for facebook and many small email clients, but you are sacrificing lots. The mobile pages work close to the app, better than a clone app. If you are like me I like the style and functionality of facebook/gmail/instagram, but I have not found any apps that pull this off very well outside of the official ones. Being you can block the apps via firewall and force stop them with greenify it does help, but apps like facebook/gmail they keep checking for updates and keep running causing wakelocks. Some apps like AquaMail seem to do the trick for me.

Xposed Framework: I LOVE the functionality that it provides, as it reminds me of the modding that we had back on WebOS but with these frameworks running in the background it causes some battery lose.

Closing Notes: There are many other options and possibilities depending on how you use your phone, and of course your mileage may vary. These are from my own testing and readings, some things may not even help or be very effective but this is why I am posting this. Let us share what works best for our device! Being I don't run XPosed I can't use Intelli3G, but since I am cutting off data where I can it helps. I would be interested in putting my phone in 2G/3G/4GLTE with a button click, might be possible with Llama but I haven't tried.

Credits:
-@ukanth for AFWall+!
-dominik for adaway!

If you have found ANY of this useful, have any suggestions, comments etc please post below. Click Thanks if you want to show appreciation if this did help you. Thanks!

I would Recommend you to use Hibernate App no need of root

Hibernate App

GDofWR420

May 3, 2011
Running @cstayton bo3 Kool kit active rom and have phenomenal battery life. No spare apps here. Turned on power save mode at 18%.

Watched two episodes of dexter, a little over half an hour on dead space, 4 short phone calls, a hand full of text and a few hours on the Web and using the xda app.

Attachments

• 1409310959783.jpg
    1409310959783.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 446
  • 1409310971860.jpg
    1409310971860.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 453
  • 1409311010003.jpg
    1409311010003.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 448
  • 1409311025822.jpg
    1409311025822.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 444
Reactions: kalans and cstayton

Mr_Artigiano

Oct 2, 2014

Device:
-Rooted (towelroot)
-Stock battery

Credits:
-@ukanth for AFWall+!
-dominik for adaway!

I was/am having some issue importing the events for Llama I was wondering if I am doing something wrong or...? Is there a specific way of importing it?

daltonhrrll

May 16, 2013
OnePlus 9 Pro
Hey guys quick question I'm an avid user of power saving mode (not UPSM) but I feel it could do better so I've been working on my own profile in tasker to better extend my battery. My question is what's the CPU underclocked to in power saving mode

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Device:
    -Rooted (towelroot)
    -Stock battery

Credits:
    -@ukanth for AFWall+!
    -dominik for adaway!

Updated! I was able to get 32h 15m battery life with 6h of screen on time! @Russ77 @GDofWR420 @UnhoIy

Can't put this thing down. Battery is great, I'm always on it and get almost 7 hours screen time before I throw it on the charger. For me I keep the screen on the lower setting with auto turned off and screen set to dynamic for that deep, bold color.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Oh, I don't doubt the 54 hours battery life. Like I said, the apps and tweaks are going to make some difference. But it all depends on how you use your phone. I'm not going to get 54 hours battery, even if I use your phone because of what I do. I'm playing games, or streaming radio, or watching movies or Youtube, and that's not all day, and with my screen bright.

Just me personally, I don't like to worry too much about how much battery life I'm getting. When I start doing that, then I find myself going out my way and doing things different (such as frequently checking the battery stats and stretching the phone's downtime) like I would not normally do, trying to see how much battery that I can actually get, instead of just enjoying the phone as I would normally use it.

When I had my old HTC Evo a few years back, I was doing everything that you're doing, and then some (as you can find several of these threads for every phone), trying to get every little ounce of juice that I could out that miserable battery. Same type apps and Roms, just different names. I had apps that turned off Wifi, data, bluetooth, and even crashed the phone once in a while. I actually got used to turning my screen brightness all the way down so that I could barely see anything. And it was great having a Rom so de-bloated, that I got a chance to find out what was missing when I got lost driving and needed directions. Yeah, it made a difference in the battery all right.
    Running @cstayton bo3 Kool kit active rom and have phenomenal battery life. No spare apps here. Turned on power save mode at 18%.

Watched two episodes of dexter, a little over half an hour on dead space, 4 short phone calls, a hand full of text and a few hours on the Web and using the xda app.