[Q] HTC One M8 Unlocked won't unlock bootloader not update OTA

Search This thread

nachochiappe

Aug 14, 2012
Buenos Aires
Hello everyone,

I've tried everything in order to solve this myself (even contacting HTC support by mail), but can't get this to work. I'm actually facing 2 problems with my HTC One M8 Unlocked:

1. Can't unlock bootloader
  2. Updating software via OTA won't work successfully

Let me briefly explain each problem:

1. I've tried to unlock my bootloader via htcdev.com but it's not working. I can enter fastboot, get my token, send it to HTC, receive my Unlock_code.bin file and send it to the phone. After selecting "Yes" when the phone asks me if I want to unlock the bootloader, it factory resets (as expected) as if everything went fine, but when I enter fastboot again, I see it's still saying "LOCKED". Tried this several times (manually, via AIO toolkits) but no luck.
  2. My current software version is 2.22.1540.3. I get a notification stating there is an update for my phone in order to take it to version 2.22.1540.4. I download it, install it, but when it boots it says that my phone has been successfully update to 2.22.1540.3 (that is...my current version). So no update is really taking place. After that, I get again the notification that an update is available.

Those are the 2 problems I'm facing. Any ideas on what else can I try?

This is what I get from fastboot getvar all:

(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 3.18.0.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 1.19.21331147A1.09G
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main: 2.22.1540.4
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON
(bootloader) serialno:
(bootloader) imei:
(bootloader) imei2: Not Support
(bootloader) meid: 00000000000000
(bootloader) product: m8_ul_ca
(bootloader) platform: hTCBmsm8974
(bootloader) modelid: 0P6B12000
(bootloader) cidnum: BS_US001
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 0mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: on
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: 5e4b24e4
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0

What's even more weird (and I've just noticed this) is that in one of those variables it says "version-main: 2.22.1540.4".

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
Your main version (OS or software) hboot and radio baseband all match the latest OTA, so you are already updated. There is just something wrong that is causing notifications, but not sure what that might be.

The bootloader unlock issue is odd. I haven't seen it before on this device yet, but on the One X EVITA there were instances where folks had to try the bin code multiple (even dozens) of times before it worked. So maybe just keep trying, and make sure the syntax is exactly correct. Not sure what else can be done?

Reactions: nachochiappe

nachochiappe

Aug 14, 2012
Buenos Aires
Your main version (OS or software) hboot and radio baseband all match the latest OTA, so you are already updated. There is just something wrong that is causing notifications, but not sure what that might be.

The bootloader unlock issue is odd. I haven't seen it before on this device yet, but on the One X EVITA there were instances where folks had to try the bin code multiple (even dozens) of times before it worked. So maybe just keep trying, and make sure the syntax is exactly correct. Not sure what else can be done?
That helps! Will keep trying to unlock the bootloader until it works then. Thanks!

mkiderek

Dec 30, 2012
I have the same problem. Have you solved your problem?

---------- Post added at 12:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 AM ----------

I just find these problems might be caused by automatic factory reset, but I don't know how to solve it.

nachochiappe

Aug 14, 2012
Buenos Aires
I have the same problem. Have you solved your problem?

---------- Post added at 12:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 AM ----------

I just find these problems might be caused by automatic factory reset, but I don't know how to solve it.
Didn't solve it yet (haven't had time to try again). What do you mean by automatic factory reset?

mkiderek

Dec 30, 2012
Didn't solve it yet (haven't had time to try again). What do you mean by automatic factory reset?

Ignore that please. I tried to flash 2.22.1540.4 ruu and failed. The one who help me says it might be caused by physical or logical damage on memory, service center is required to solve this issue. I have decided to return it to amazon and bought a new one. Hope the new one has no problem.

nachochiappe

Aug 14, 2012
Buenos Aires
Ignore that please. I tried to flash 2.22.1540.4 ruu and failed. The one who help me says it might be caused by physical or logical damage on memory, service center is required to solve this issue. I have decided to return it to amazon and bought a new one. Hope the new one has no problem.
Will try flashing the RUU on mine too. Where did you get it from?

jureca

Feb 18, 2011
Murcia
The can upload to another server?, Or you can link to download private message to another server?, Thank you very much.

Last edited:

rpellumbi

Sep 30, 2012
I am also having the same issue with my m8. Have attempted to unlock the bootloader about 15 times with a different token id each time, and nothing, its remaining locked. I also get a persistent notification to update to 2.22.1540.3 regardless of how many times I install it. Any ideas?

bloodhawk

Mar 12, 2010
San Francisco Bay Area
Same issue with me, but it actually messed up my phone for good -

Ill post the whole issue was it happened -

1. Tried to unlock bootloader using HTC Dev, 3 times. Each time it would successfully take the token and stuff, reset the phone, but the bootloader would still be locked.
I tried this using 3 separate HTC Dev accounts. Same result.
2. Now the 4th time when i did this, the phone went back the RUU firmware mode (but with 4 triangles on the corners).
3. I can boot into the stock ROM, the one the phone came with by using - fastboot oem boot. But i have to do this every time the phone shuts down or has to be restarted.

From my understanding the bootloader, recovery and hboot partitions are corrupt. Best case scenario, only the bootloader. And i cannot flash either of the partitions since im not unlocked nor S-off.
Another issue would be, why was i not able to unlock my bootloader? The first time i thought maybe i made a mistake in copying the the unlock string. But that wasn't it.

If it helps, the phone came with Android 4.4.3 with Hboot 3.18 (2.22.1540.3).

The phone is a 32 GB US Unlocked version. CID - BS_US001 MID - 0P6B12000

And i cannot for the life of me find a RUU for this phone. The phone is just 1 day old.

Any help would be appreciated. I couldn't find anyone with the same 4 triangle issue on the forums.

UPDATE :

Just fixed the bootloader issue by flashing the firmware zip from here :

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=55067300&postcount=1605

Though i still have not been able to unlock the bootloader.

Last edited:

bloodhawk

Mar 12, 2010
San Francisco Bay Area
I registered and still can't download this file. Would you consider uploading for us?

I tried to downloaded the file from other sources, by googl'ing the file name, the file downloads a rom.zip but i cant open it no matter what.
Winrar and 7zip both say the file is corrupt.

Try this - http://pan.baidu.com/wap/share/home?uk=1275354262&third=0
Do let us know if it works for you.

I am also now facing the constant OTA update notifications. I emailed HTC Dev about the whole thing yesterday.

Reactions: soundwavedj

soundwavedj

Jul 24, 2010
I tried to downloaded the file from other sources, by googl'ing the file name, the file downloads a rom.zip but i cant open it no matter what.
Winrar and 7zip both say the file is corrupt.

Try this - http://pan.baidu.com/wap/share/home?uk=1275354262&third=0
Do let us know if it works for you.

I am also now facing the constant OTA update notifications. I emailed HTC Dev about the whole thing yesterday.
That link worked for the download but the download says 15 hours until complete [emoji16]

alaska_ryder

Dec 11, 2012
Unlock Bootloader not working

I am also having trouble unlocking bootloader through htcdev.com
I tried it about 5-6 times, it resets phone but remains locked.
Have you guys found a solution?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts