Official - the 4.X.X update - discussion thread

Search This thread

MMcCraryNJ

Jul 19, 2010
Acworth, GA USA
Just signal boosting from a few pages back, since I'm seeing a few users in this thread who are still on stock MJ5 with no modifications...

Some members are looking for users who are still on stock MJ5 to get a ROM dump from. This might be able to solve everyone's issue of the new OTA failing when root or any other modification was done to their system. If you are on stock MJ5 and have never touched your system, please think about getting in touch with the members who have posted in this thread, so that someone could guide you into getting what the community needs: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2693375

Thanks.

Reactions: jerrycoffman45
Just signal boosting from a few pages back, since I'm seeing a few users in this thread who are still on stock MJ5 with no modifications...

Some members are looking for users who are still on stock MJ5 to get a ROM dump from. This might be able to solve everyone's issue of the new OTA failing when root or any other modification was done to their system. If you are on stock MJ5 and have never touched your system, please think about getting in touch with the members who have posted in this thread, so that someone could guide you into getting what the community needs: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2693375

Thanks.

Yes please. I really don't want to go to the Att store to get reflashed :)

Reactions: angelgirl210

Suleeto

Mar 20, 2007
Riverside County, California
Well free hotspot is gone after the update... :(

Anyone able to confirm this?

I just did the update. I also had no finger touch ability at first, so used the s-pen to reboot. After rebooot touch works normal.

I hate that even with smart keyboard pro there are these annoying letters floating across my screen.l, and that didn't happen prior to the update. Also dislike the bland, grey status icons.

Also getting the same bad (and sometimes even worse) phone network signal.

Wishing there was a warrantied way to go back :/ these floating letters are driving me mad.

TechJunkie14

Dec 22, 2012
Just updated to 4.4.2 via OTA. It was a quick and painless update; I'll post info about battery life / etc later.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using xda app-developers app

jerrycoffman45

Sep 19, 2011
ashland ky
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Anyone able to confirm this?

I just did the update. I also had no finger touch ability at first, so used the s-pen to reboot. After rebooot touch works normal.

I hate that even with smart keyboard pro there are these annoying letters floating across my screen.l, and that didn't happen prior to the update. Also dislike the bland, grey status icons.

Also getting the same bad (and sometimes even worse) phone network signal.

Wishing there was a warrantied way to go back :/ these floating letters are driving me mad.

might try a factory reset and see if that clears up your problems

Dr. Evo

May 24, 2010
Washington, DC
Sorry if this is a re-post, but along with the apparent GPS fix, that annoying ass screen-on delay that I used to experience, is now completely gone! As soon as I power off the screen, if I hit the power button again, the screen immediately turns on! I tried this several times in a row and it was an automatic process. I am so happy about this! :good:

Reactions: pham818

tpierce89

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 29, 2008
Alabama
I waited an hour for the update to download. I'm running Nb4 rooted with survival mode. The update failed at 26%. Next time I upgrade I think I'll buy anything but this locked down garbage that Att is selling people.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

jpcdeux

Mar 26, 2010
Laporte, IN
What don't people get? If you're rooted, yes! Its gonna fail.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Pilz

Dec 1, 2013
Texas
Has anyone found a root yet? I know this has been asked already, but there is no answer yet. Also HCE is not supported because google wallet tap and pay does not work... yet another disappointment...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is for people that had the first problem of mobicore problem.

Warning::: THIS WORKED FOR ME BUT I CAN NOT SAY FOR EVERYONE. I AM NOT A DEVELOPER SO MY KNOWLEDGE IS VERY LIMITED!!!!

You need to download the update file from this thread. You will need to rename it to change the .cfg to .zip

Attached is a fix.zip that contains the files you need. You will need to be on a nb4 with root.

Extract zip files and copy them to your internal memory on phone.

Step 1 copy the mobicore-presetup.sh to /system/bin

Step 2 copy all the apk files to /system/app.

Step 3 For each apk you copied you need to set the rght persmissions. rw-r--r--

Step 4 Copy the update file that you renamed to external sdcard.

Step 5 Reboot into recovery by rebooting phone. As soon as screen goes blank from shutting down hold Volume Up + Home + Power. Once you see rebooting into recovery let go of only power button and wait.

Step 6 Once in recovery use the volume down button to highlight update from external storage and hit the power button.

Step 7 Use volume buttons to scroll down to update file and use power button to select it.

Step 8 Wait for about 5 to 10 minutes.

Step 9 You will be returned to recovery menu, scroll down using volume buttons to wipe cache and hit power button.

Step 10 Hit power button on reboot and wait.
    Finally got mine to patch!

----CONFIGURATION OF MY PHONE -------------
    +My phone was rooted via Kingo 1.18 on MJ5.
    +Upgraded to NB4 via OTA.
    +SafeStrap installed with 1 custom Rom on Slot 1. The "Stock" slot was untouched in SafeStrap.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

What I Did:

1) Boot into SafeStrap
    2) Go to the Rom slots and delete all Roms and Partitions EXCEPT the stock slot (AGAIN, LEAVE THE STOCK SLOT ALONE!)
    3) Reboot into the Stock Rom
    4) Open the SafeStrap App and uninstall the bootloader

If Wanam Xposed is installed on your phone continue, else skip 5 & 6
    5) Open Xposed app and Uninstall the Xposed Framework
    6) Uninstall Wanam Xposed and Xposed apps

If you froze/Deleted any System apps continue, else skip 7 & 8
    7) Open the app you used to freeze the system apps (e.g. Titanium Backup) and unfreeze them
    8) If manually removed the system apps, go into your backup folder and restore them along with changing their permissions (search the forums for better explanations)

9) Open Root Explorer (or any file manager with root access) and go to /system/csc/
    10) Look for feature.xml.bak. If this exists, delete feature.xml and rename feature.xml.bak to feature.xml
    11) Go to /system/bin/
    12) Look for ddexe_real. If this exists, delete ddexe and rename ddexe_real to ddexe.

13) Connect your phone to your computer and transfer the OTA Zip (here) to your External SD
    14) Reboot into Recovery and select the update from SD Card option.
    15) Choose the OTA Zip file and let the Flashing Start!

If this helped you, please hit the Thank You button and let us know.
    Just to clear up any confusion...

There is no issue with the OTA in and of itself. If there was a mass problem, ATT would have recalled the update and made an announcement about it. The reason it is failing for some is because, at one point, these people had done something to their system. Either manually flashed a file in recovery, such as the GPS fix, or the leaked KK update from a month and a half ago, or attempted to root, or deleted system apps/bloatware. If you have never modified your system, or ran any task that would have modified your system in any way, the OTA works as intended. The tiniest change to your system, even if you're not rooted and are on stock NB4, would cause the update to fail.

What the update is doing is running a full system scan before applying the update. It's looking for every system app, every piece of bloatware, every system configuration file, etc, and comparing the data within to a reference list, so that each file can be updated. The OTA does not include the FULL system, meaning the data in the OTA cannot be used to make a full system image. That is, after all, the point of an "update" file. All of the apps and bloatware contained within the OTA are not the full apps, but are only the fragments of the apps that need to be updated. If the OTA was a full system image, it would be many GBs.

A lot of people are wondering why the NB4 update worked on modified MJ5 systems, but not this one. The NB4 update was a very small maintenance update that likely did not update any of the system files that are commonly modified, so it did not need to run the same kind of scans on the file system. The KK update, regardless of how people view it as, was a monster update which also updated every system app.

I've also seen some people mention that merely disabling a system/bloatware app through the Application Manager in Android would cause the OTA to fail. I can tell you that is not the case, as I had every ATT app and a lot of the Samsung provided apps disabled via this method. My OTA gave me no issues. Bottom line, if the update fails for you, you have either modified, or attempted to modify the system in some way, big or small. If you bought the phone used, or "certified refurbished", or if someone other than you uses it, they have attempted to modify the system, or have done so in the past.

The good news is that, even if you have modified the system, the talented people in this thread have figured out the issues and developed work-arounds. These will work. Just read, and follow instructions.
    Uploading to Dropbox. Link on the way.......

*dropbox suspended my public links*