4.4.3 Released, I'm on a 4.4.2 ROM. (Noob Question)

Search This thread
V

VaccaThreeSixteen

Hey folks, here's a really nooby question for you. I apologise in advance, this is my first android phone, and I'm a little confused and paranoid about updating my ROM with a new version of android.

I want to get Paranoid Android on 4.4.3 on my phone, I'm currently using Slimkat on 4.4.2. How would I go about installing PA on 4.4.3 on my phone? Is it as simple as a quick flash of the PA ROM, or is it more difficult then that?

What I'm trying to ask is, how would I go about installing Paranoid Android that is built for KitKat 4.4.3 on my phone which is currently running SlimKat built for KitKat 4.4.2.

Thank you in advance for all answers :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

V

VaccaThreeSixteen

Would it work if I flashed the PA 4.4.2 version on my phone, then used the built in PA OTA thing to get the 4.4.3 update for me? I don't know. Just an idea

Dawnut

Mar 22, 2014
Sofia
Not too keen on wiping data. Any better way then that? Cheers.

Backup your apps with app like Rom toolbox or titanium backup and wipe data. If you don't, there will most certainly be errors and crashes all over the rom.
And don't confuse data with internal storage. You can keep your storage, but it is also recommended to format it when switching roms.
So yeah...backup, throw on PC, flash. It's the most safe and fast way, otherwise you may be wasting time flashing again and again while cleaning of any mistakes.

Last edited:
V

VaccaThreeSixteen

Backup your apps with app like Rom toolbox or titanium backup and wipe data. If you don't, there will most certainly be errors and crashes all over the rom.

Thinking about it now it sounds a little better. Use TiBu to backup my apps and make a backup of my internal storage on my computer to drag and drop back later. This wouldn't break root or re-lock bootloader will it?

vin4yak

Mar 10, 2013
Mumbai
vinu.info
Not too keen on wiping data. Any better way then that? Cheers.

Factoring reset/data reset from a custom recovery won't touch /sdcard. All your personal files will be fine.

Would it work if I flashed the PA 4.4.2 version on my phone, then used the built in PA OTA thing to get the 4.4.3 update for me? I don't know. Just an idea

Why do you want to lengthen the process?? Wipe, format system, flash PA, gapps. Done!

Dawnut

Mar 22, 2014
Sofia
Thinking about it now it sounds a little better. Use TiBu to backup my apps and make a backup of my internal storage on my computer to drag and drop back later. This wouldn't break root or re-lock bootloader will it?

No, when done flashing the rom, if the rom comes rooted, I recommend installing SuperSU from the play store. It is a standart root app and pretty good one too. Otherwise, it won't affect neither your root or bootloader.

V

VaccaThreeSixteen

Factoring reset/data reset from a custom recovery won't touch /sdcard. All your personal files will be fine.

Why do you want to lengthen the process?? Wipe, format system, flash PA, gapps. Done!

oh, really? Awesome! What do you mean by format system? I've never came across this. Cheers

Dawnut

Mar 22, 2014
Sofia
oh, really? Awesome! What do you mean by format system? I've never came across this. Cheers

Boot into recovery > Wipe > Format system. The path should be something like this. It wipes EVERYTHING, including internal storage. So backup!

vin4yak

Mar 10, 2013
Mumbai
vinu.info

If you're using Philz, Go to mounts and storage and format system from there. It won't wipe your sdcard.

Boot into recovery > Wipe > Format system. The path should be something like this. It wipes EVERYTHING, including internal storage. So backup!

Formatting /system doesn't wipe internal storage. It just formats the /system partition.

Reactions: prateek.htc

Beamer9408

Jul 17, 2011
The PA zip will actually format /system before it install the new ROM over your system. I'm old school and still format system manually through recovery but if you don't know where that is in the recovery version I wouldn't sweat it. If you have problems after boot you may need to go in and figure out how to do it yourself but like I said most ROMs on the forum format /system before installing new system.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Pirateghost

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 24, 2010
androidninjas.com
The PA zip will actually format /system before it install the new ROM over your system. I'm old school and still format system manually through recovery but if you don't know where that is in the recovery version I wouldn't sweat it. If you have problems after boot you may need to go in and figure out how to do it yourself but like I said most ROMs on the forum format /system before installing new system.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Yes it formats system but if there is anything in addon.d directory it will bring over some undesirables at times. Best to manually wipe system to keep it clean.

#stayparanoid

Top Liked Posts