Updating the Superguide?

Search This thread

brucegil

Aug 3, 2010
Birmingham
Superguide is outdated now

I was going to post this as a reply to the "Rooting My HTC Vivid At&T on Android 4.0.3 ICS" thread, but I decided to make it a new thread because it touches on a number of current threads.

Any chance someone will update or add to the Superguide because of all the changes and improvements that have occurred? (Not to mention the all-in-1 tool if it is still relevant.)

For those of who have never messed with a phone OS, but might want to, or who have managed to mess up their phone, we really need a consolidated, current and COMPLETE guide. Also, please explain the terms and acronyms that the devs know but some of us do not.

I read these threads each day, and I have gotten a lot from some of them. But with the ongoing changes, and with the ongoing crashes that people need help on, the correct methods and fixes are scattered over hundreds of posts in dozens of threads. I have seen some that are useful, but I don't think they can take me from step 1 to the end successfully. They tend to address only specific scenarios.

This will take time for someone, but if it eliminates some bricked phones, and eliminates a bunch of new threads, it would be worth it. And it needs to be pinned, so it won't be buried on page 3 in a couple of days. There's probably a lot of good stuff back on page 40, but who's going to go find it.

The experts say, "search" and "read the threads." Well, I have. And I doubt anyone with my lack of experience would find all the changes and updates that have occurred since the Superguide was done.

I am not criticizng the Superguide. It is exactly the type of thing we need. It just needs to be made current. And someone needs to make sure that nothing is assumed. I am afraid the Development forum is too technical for me in most cases. I know the real work is done there, but someone over here needs to make sense (no pun intended) of it all.

I hope I have not offended anyone.

Microbot2

Apr 2, 2012
Texas
I am new (three weeks) to android. The Superguide and two users helped me get this far. That said it took a bit to understand what the Superguide was talking about. The acronym section is great, found it yesterday.
It would be nice to have it all in one section. Big thanks to slapshot30 for the hard work, as well as the others on xda.

megatronisabeast

Apr 16, 2011
I would be willing to help create a new super guide but at the same time I don't want to overstep my boundaries and take away from someone else's work. I will gladly put something together if there are no objections. Been wanting to for a while anyway.

Microbot2

Apr 2, 2012
Texas
I would be willing to help create a new super guide but at the same time I don't want to overstep my boundaries and take away from someone else's work. I will gladly put something together if there are no objections. Been wanting to for a while anyway.
That would be nice. Having all the new info as well as links to acronyms would be great for new users, probably cut down on questions and frustration. I would like it as well. I suppose a couple pm's and a line or two pointing out whose work it was...

slapshot30

Feb 21, 2010
Nebraska
Sorry it hasn't been updated for so long guys. I was under the impression that ever since the All-In-One tool came along, everyone migrated over to that. Can you explain better what more you are looking for though? I know I need to add things regarding upgrading the HBOOT. Maybe something involving S-OFF as well. I don't know the best way to go about it though. I feel like I'd need a few seperate complete guides for each different version of the device, which would be a cluster f***. I wouldn't need to do that if I included stuff about S-OFF but I don't feel it's right to just make everyone (noobs included) S-OFF their device. Just give me some opinions.

EDIT: The general knowledge thread is a great resource as well. As far as the all-in-one tool goes though, I won't be fully integrating that into my guide. That is Hasoon's and he already has a stickied thread for it. I have it linked in the top of the superguide as well.

Last edited:

Marshmellow92

Jan 4, 2012
Sorry it hasn't been updated for so long guys. I was under the impression that ever since the All-In-One tool came along, everyone migrated over to that. Can you explain better what more you are looking for though? I know I need to add things regarding upgrading the HBOOT. Maybe something involving S-OFF as well. I don't know the best way to go about it though. I feel like I'd need a few seperate complete guides for each different version of the device, which would be a cluster f***. I wouldn't need to do that if I included stuff about S-OFF but I don't feel it's right to just make everyone (noobs included) S-OFF their device. Just give me some opinions.

EDIT: The general knowledge thread is a great resource as well. As far as the all-in-one tool goes though, I won't be fully integrating that into my guide. That is Hasoon's and he already has a stickied thread for it. I have it linked in the top of the superguide as well.

Well like just remake it. it would be so much easier for you, i would be more that happy to help out :)
i suggest that if you do start over you just go step by step as you did your first one. that thread is so usefull and it is amazing, just outdated is all. so follow the same format for example first thing would be like how to unlock, root.... etc. then you would have s-off option then have a litle section for those who do decide to get s off and then a different one for those who decide to keep s-on.

idk, this is just a suggestion. if you are willing to really do this shoot me a pm ill be more than happy to help and ill even do it all if you dont feel you have the time or simply dont want to. but we would have to ask all the devs if this would be ok of course all of them will be given 100 percent credit for their outstanding work. and then we can start asap.

ratworks

Mar 5, 2011
Brisbane
I was under the impression that ever since the All-In-One tool came along, everyone migrated over to that.

I'm sure that there are a lot of people here like me that want to learn a bit about our phones, and would much prefer to read a guide and learn via a bit of playing around. When we get it wrong, well, stuffing it up just adds to the fun. :)

So, Slashdot, for me and I'm sure many others here your SuperGuide is a jewel, a chunk of concentrated knowledge in a sea of... of... oh, I don't know... other stuff!

Also, I use linux, so windows programs aren't a lot of use anyway.

slapshot30

Feb 21, 2010
Nebraska
I'm sure that there are a lot of people here like me that want to learn a bit about our phones, and would much prefer to read a guide and learn via a bit of playing around. When we get it wrong, well, stuffing it up just adds to the fun. :)

So, Slashdot, for me and I'm sure many others here your SuperGuide is a jewel, a chunk of concentrated knowledge in a sea of... of... oh, I don't know... other stuff!

Also, I use linux, so windows programs aren't a lot of use anyway.

Glad to hear people still like the "old fashioned" way :D. Different flavors for everyone. Some just want an easy click and root process, some like to get their hands dirty and learn some things that are actually pretty important. This is essentially the reason I haven't added any batch files to the guide, people need to learn this stuff involving the command prompt. I've made it pretty easy as it is in my opinion. I might add some batch files just for the heck of it though, just to avoid the headaches.

aaki_rocker

Oct 9, 2011
Mumbai
i dont want to s-off my device and want to install all the custom roms without doing it

someone pls guide me !

thanks.. :)

ratworks

Mar 5, 2011
Brisbane
Glad to hear people still like the "old fashioned" way :D. Different flavors for everyone. ... I might add some batch files just for the heck of it though, just to avoid the headaches.

Yeah sure, batch files / shell scripts are great - you can either just run them, or you can pick them apart to see what's happening. Or both.

Best of both worlds...

aaki_rocker

Oct 9, 2011
Mumbai
Unless your carrier has official ICS, then that is your only option if I'm not mistaken... Because if it doesn't have official ICS then we have no way of updating your HBOOT without getting S OFF.

it is already running ics and sense 3.6?

i'll post a snapshot of the hboot screen over here so that you'll get a very clear idea ! :)

slapshot30

Feb 21, 2010
Nebraska
it is already running ics and sense 3.6?

i'll post a snapshot of the hboot screen over here so that you'll get a very clear idea ! :)

Look in the other thread you made, I gave you some instructions. You might already have the latest version, or it might be the unofficial leak. You might want to run the RUU first just in case.

Top Liked Posts