Ever tried JTAG unbrick recovery?

Search This thread

SecUpwN

Jun 12, 2012
DEUTSCHLAND!
secupwn.github.io
Good evening XDA geeks and hi there @AdamOutler!

I am posting here to find a solution on how to unbrick my brothers Samsung Galaxy Xcover2 (Skomer), which suddenly turned off at 83% during the flashing process while using Heimdall to add a System Image made by @TheBoegl from his ROOT GUIDE . This is the error log of Heimdall. Ever since then, it stayed a full brick: No lights, no sounds, no nothing. I even built a working USB Jig (good to have one now) using these instructions - but even then the phone does not show any sign of life. I must admit that I am very stunned: This is the first time this happens to me, usually I am very careful and so far had recovered other phones from every state out there.

Since the phone itself has no warranty at all and I would like to build some more crazy tools to be able to ressurect dead phones in the future all by myself, my question is: Which tutorial to use (preferrably through not having to buy a RIFF box)? Is what is described in this thread working for the condition that the XCover2 is in? All help is greatly appreciated and will be pressed THANKS for. I would like to surprise my brother with a working phone.
PUSH! Can anybody please guide me what to do?

AdamOutler

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 18, 2011
Miami, Fl̨̞̲̟̦̀̈̃͛҃҅͟orida
Good evening XDA geeks and hi there @AdamOutler!

I am posting here to find a solution on how to unbrick my brothers Samsung Galaxy Xcover2 (Skomer), which suddenly turned off at 83% during the flashing process while using Heimdall to add a System Image made by @TheBoegl from his ROOT GUIDE . This is the error log of Heimdall. Ever since then, it stayed a full brick: No lights, no sounds, no nothing. I even built a working USB Jig (good to have one now) using these instructions - but even then the phone does not show any sign of life. I must admit that I am very stunned: This is the first time this happens to me, usually I am very careful and so far had recovered other phones from every state out there.

Since the phone itself has no warranty at all and I would like to build some more crazy tools to be able to ressurect dead phones in the future all by myself, my question is: Which tutorial to use (preferrably through not having to buy a RIFF box)? Is what is described in this thread working for the condition that the XCover2 is in? All help is greatly appreciated and will be pressed THANKS for. I would like to surprise my brother with a working phone.

Hi, you should contact @connexion2005 aka MobileTechVideos.com about this. There are no quick answers on lower volume devices. However, JTAG will usually work.

Reactions: SecUpwN

SecUpwN

Jun 12, 2012
DEUTSCHLAND!
secupwn.github.io
Hi, you should contact @connexion2005 aka MobileTechVideos.com about this. There are no quick answers on lower volume devices. However, JTAG will usually work.
Thank you @AdamOutler, I just wrote him a PM. What do you mean with "lower volume devices"? Do you have a manual for me on how to construct a universally useable JTAG for not so much money?

Reactions: AdamOutler

AdamOutler

Feb 18, 2011
Thank you @AdamOutler, I just wrote him a PM. What do you mean with "lower volume devices"? Do you have a manual for me on how to construct a universally useable JTAG for not so much money?
Well, you know.. There wasnt alot of those devices sold. There arent any "universal" solutions. Its done per-device.

BTW, awesome job on the catcher. I have it installed on this device. Any chance of including a default ID api key?

Reactions: SecUpwN

SecUpwN

Jun 12, 2012
DEUTSCHLAND!
secupwn.github.io
Well, you know.. There wasnt alot of those devices sold. There arent any "universal" solutions. Its done per-device.
Interesting. I thought that I coild build something like a RIFF box and then reflash the corrupted files?

BTW, awesome job on the catcher. I have it installed on this device. Any chance of including a default ID api key?
Oh, thank you so much for telling me! Hope that @E:V:A and @He3556 as well as @TobyKurien will pick this up as well. [emoji6]

What exactly do you mean by "default ID API key"? If you mean the OpenCellID issue, we are currently working on a better solution since OpenCellID is placing restrictions (certain amount of necessary data submissions) on us that we would like rule out. We will likely set up our own services, expexct that in the upcoming version. Hey, may I ask you which source you've installed our App from? Don't hesitate to contribute on our GitHub, we are searching for developers.

Last edited:
Reactions: AdamOutler

AdamOutler

Feb 18, 2011
Interesting. I thought that I coild build something like a RIFF box and then reflash the corrupted files?
You woudn't want to build a RIFF box. You could buy one. They may or may not have the module for your device. The way RIFF works is they actually create a module for each device. This is why I mentioned Josh Groce at MobileTechVideos.com. He has several methods and if one doesn't work, he can move to the next. He can even remove and rewrite NAND/EMMCs

Oh, thank you so much for telling me! Hope that @E:V:A and @He3556 as well as @TobyKurien will pick this up as well. [emoji6]

What exactly do you mean by "default ID API key"? If you mean the OpenCellID issue, we are currently working on a better solution since OpenCellID is placing restrictions (certain amount of necessary data submissions) on us that we would like rule out. We will likely set up our own services, expexct that in the upcoming version. Hey, may I ask you which source you've installed our App from? Don't hesitate to contribute on our GitHub, we are searching for developers.
Yeah, OpenCellID API key. You should coordinate with them since you are obtaining data which may be useful to them as well. Apparently you have some major players on your side which could help out.

I'm pretty busy on what I'm doing right now. I am backlogged on CASUAL and I've been working on CASUALWear more recently. I also have many other projects which I am expected to partake in... It's just too crazy for me to take on any more.

SecUpwN

Jun 12, 2012
DEUTSCHLAND!
secupwn.github.io
YThis is why I mentioned Josh Groce at MobileTechVideos.com. He has several methods and if one doesn't work, he can move to the next. He can even remove and rewrite NAND/EMMCs more.
That dounds great, @AdamOutler. Could you do me the favor of getting me touch with him? I would like to give back the working device to my brother until christmas as a suprise. I will even pay for this thing to be repaired!

Last edited:

alkolol

Feb 15, 2013
Samsung Galaxy Nexus I9250 want to try JTag

Hello, first thing, the phone is completely dead, jig doesn't work.
I read through this thread, and some others, and since I'm not really the tech guy about this stuff, I would like to know what do I need for homemade JTag, I know about the serial port, I have recovery .dll for the phone downloaded.
Do I need to have Riff box now? Or can i just solder the serial cable to phone and reflash the chip with a program? which program? If anyone can explain briefly how this procedure should work, or post a link to some detailed information maybe I would be grateful. Thanks

SecUpwN

Jun 12, 2012
DEUTSCHLAND!
secupwn.github.io
Hello, first thing, the phone is completely dead, jig doesn't work.
I read through this thread, and some others, and since I'm not really the tech guy about this stuff, I would like to know what do I need for homemade JTag, I know about the serial port, I have recovery .dll for the phone downloaded.
Do I need to have Riff box now? Or can i just solder the serial cable to phone and reflash the chip with a program? which program? If anyone can explain briefly how this procedure should work, or post a link to some detailed information maybe I would be grateful. Thanks
Build your JTAG here.

dmc123

Jun 7, 2011
china
That looks awesome Adam! However, thanks to all the practice boards I have been sent, I'm so happy to announce I just debricked my first i897 Captivate using direct solder and JTAG! My skill is honing in and I think after a few more I will be able to say with confidence I have the skill to solder to this board without pulling pads. Before long I plan to have a total solution available to members who hard brick. I know of no other US places that can touch this PCB so it's exciting to see Adam and myself making progress on such a difficult PCB. I can't say thanks enough to the participants of my trial run program. I'd like to do a few more with no failure before I'm ready to take them on with pure confidence!

So did you succeed? Can you tell me the detailed method and procedure

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I bricked my captivate last night. It is possible to recover a black-screen bricked Captivate with JTAG. I was reading about using JTAG and it seems that RIFF is the most supported option. Basically, you use JTAG as a special serial device where you can send data directly to the board. It's how they load it at the factory.

I want to come up with a way to unbrick a captivate, but I don't want to spend $150 on a RIFF. It seems like overkill for such a small job. You can make a JTAG connection with 4 resistors and a parallel cable. I don't have a parallel cable on my computer.

Here's a pinout.
    i897_pinout.jpg

You can make your own JTAG (see attached file )

While I don't have a parallel port, I do have an Arduino. It is possible to set it up as a JTAG with a small bit of code.

I keep getting this question.. where can I get the parts and how do I do this? Well, you will get the parts from this post and I don't have any good recommendations about an interface board.
    I'd have to say that this method is doable by anyone who knows how to use a solder and flux well.

You will need
    Header: http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Panasonic/AXT612124/?qs=2rFUEsTwVNwSdqVM5XnLHw==
    Receptical:http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Panasonic/AXT512124/?qs=2rFUEsTwVNy9TGVyeT43Dg==
    Soldering iron
    Solder
    desoldering sucker (just in case)
    Flux
    Sponge
    super glue
    alcohol
    sewing needle
    tweezers

How to apply the header:
    1. flux the pads on the board
    2. clean the iron with a sponge
    3. apply a bead of solder to the tip of your iron
    4. drag the soldering iron lightly across the board until the solder beads up on top of the pads (DO NOT TOUCH THE IRON TO THE PADS, they can be lifted) to tin the pads
    5. apply flux to the header
    6. tin the header
    7. set tinned header on top of tinned pads
    8. clean the soldering iron
    9. carefully depress the individual pins on the header with the hot, clean, soldering iron
    10. use a magnifying glass to verify all connections are against the board.
    11. using a needle, apply superglue to the corners of the header
    12. wait 1 hour
    13. Clean with alcohol

As I said before, I got the receptacle board from "k-ww" on forums.hackaday.com
    The receptacle installs the same way. You will need 30awg wire for the receptacle board breakout. You can see how I did it above.

In this picture the closest side has been cleaned with alcohol. The far side has burned flux on it.
    243ns6a.jpg

I'm wondering what files do you send to the JTAG port? I suppose I'll find out soon enough. I purchased a spare phone today and I've got a development Captivate on the way. I will be attempting to pull the JTAG flash out of the phone if there isn't one available on-line somewhere.
    For reference, the contacts on this are about the size of the "I" on "In God We Trust" on a USA dime (10 cents).

I just used a microscope to obtain this picture today.
    points.jpg
    Sure that is understandable. I can promise you that you won't repair this device without most likely 100+ hours of research though. This of course if you can repair it at all. There is a reason why we hold the key to such solution for months before anyone else discovers them. This reason is that it is NOT easy to solve...

Good luck!

Edit: This of course being if you are truly hard bricked (JIG won't work).
    wasnt just talking to him. hes not the only one reading!!! Noobs read this too you know!!
    and im a mechanical engineering technician, i know how small that is... but wait other people can read and learn that!
    Hmm, I have never bricked my cappy (knock on wood, lol) and I have never messed with jtag. But I have read on this forum that you can make a simple jig with three one hundred ohm resistors that will boot the phone into download mode. Again, I haven't bricked my phone, so I am not sure if this would work with a black screen bricked phone, but it seems simple enough, and cheap enough, to test. Basically, you take three 100ohm resistots and wire them together. Then, you touch the leads to pin 4&5 of the micro usb connector. This is supposed to boot the phone into download mode. From there, you can hook your phone to your computer via usb and use odin or a similar tool to flash back to stock. Again, I am fairly new and have never tested this personally, so I don't know if it works at all, or if it will work with a black screen bricked phone. I hope this does help you out, though!

Sent from my Samsung Captivate using XDA App.
    ROM: Cognition v4.1.1
    Kernel: eXistZ's KB1 #5 Voodoo Sound v4, Voodoo Color, Voodoo lagfix
    Modem: I897 UCJJ4 w/ HSUPA/HSDPA enabled