[Q][Android]How do I batch reinstall apps after flashing custom rom?

Search This thread

Hultner

Jan 4, 2011
I've just started trying out custom roms and I've noticed while some roms such as CyanogenMod lets you restore all previously installed apps upon installation other ones doesn't. If I flash a rom which doesn't support it all my apps still stand as installed if I search for them in market on the computer however it's a pain to manually reinstall all apps so is there anyway to trigger something which reinstall all apps like CM do?

wdkingery

Nov 13, 2006
well, i don't know what PHONE you are using, but on my inspire 4g with a gingerbread rom, altho the rom doesn't do much with app reloads, just by signing into my google account my apps reappear on their own.

plainjane

Jan 14, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Use Titanium Backup. Run a batch backup of user apps. Then when you install a new rom, run a batch restore. This will restore data as well - game progress, an app's settings, etc. The free version only allows one backup at a time (if you backup the app again, it overwrites the last backup) and you have to agree to the permissions of each app. In the paid version, you can set the max number of backups yourself and everything will install in the background. There's tons of other cool stuff the app can do, I suggest checking it out.

(from... Evo/MIUI/Tapatalk)

Use Titanium Backup. Run a batch backup of user apps. Then when you install a new rom, run a batch restore. This will restore data as well - game progress, an app's settings, etc. The free version only allows one backup at a time (if you backup the app again, it overwrites the last backup) and you have to agree to the permissions of each app. In the paid version, you can set the max number of backups yourself and everything will install in the background. There's tons of other cool stuff the app can do, I suggest checking it out.

(from... Evo/MIUI/Tapatalk)

This is the way to go. Trust me on that. One more thing if you kind of like a certain rom but you just want to try others make sure you do a nandroid back up. This makes life a hell of a lot easier if you don't like rom boot back to recovery and restore your last back up. I nan once a week so I keep a fresh image cuz I am always adding and removing apps.

Spart12

Jan 30, 2011
This is the way to go. Trust me on that. One more thing if you kind of like a certain rom but you just want to try others make sure you do a nandroid back up. This makes life a hell of a lot easier if you don't like rom boot back to recovery and restore your last back up. I nan once a week so I keep a fresh image cuz I am always adding and removing apps.

This saved me a time or two..good advise!!

May 8, 2011
Laurel, MD

As far as my experience when (this afternoon), TI is the ONLY way to go (although, you'll want to root first).

mevensen

May 22, 2011
A follow up question on this topic. I have TI Pro and made a backup of apps and data. After flashing an update ROM on my EVO, I could get most of the apps, but not all of them back. Actually, some apps would not even reinstall -- e.g. Twitter gave me some error about a shared library missing. Any ideas?

holgalee

Dec 20, 2010
I bought the paid version of Titanium backup but during batch restore, I still have to press install/cancel and open/done for each app. Is that correct or did I miss changing a setting?

Last edited:

Archer

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Senior Mod
Jul 9, 2008
Manchester
Google Pixel 8 Pro
I am about to flash my first ROM on my Inspire. I did a NAND backup and copied all the contents of my sd card to my computer.

My question is if I transfer it back onto my sd card after flashing will it restore my apps and other data?

No. Apps need to be installed, not just copied (that's assuming that you're talking about apps on the SD card, and not on the phone's memory).

Do as most of the posts above suggest and do a backup using Titanium Backup. Then you can batch restore (with the paid version) or app-by-app restore (with the free version) after flashing your new ROM.

nickdablack

Jan 6, 2012
Melbourne
Titanium is excellent , however I find backups arent always compatible between roms. I sometimes get errors after a restore. For that reason I just sing into Market after flashing a new rom and let the apps re download.

jbz73

Feb 19, 2012
TI Backup

I purchased the pro version, batch backed up all of my apps. Installed MikG on Evo 4g and now I can't access TI back up. I also did a nand back up. when I restore data nothing happens. Please help. I just want my apps back.:confused:

Feb 20, 2012
Larissa
Xiaomi 12T Pro
Originally Posted by plainjane

that's the right way..

boscharun

Jun 8, 2011
Two options.

1. Push your apps recorded in your android market library to your phone.
2. Use titanium backup.

Titanium backup is easier, but since you do a reset to make everything fresh, I would prefer the first option.

What you do is to go to android market library from your PC browser. It has all your apps listed. For each app, use the install button to push it to your phone. You need not wait between apps. Just push which ever app you need and they will automatically get downloaded and installed to your phone. For some reason, Google has kept the reinstall feature hidden. See this for details -
http://www.skipser.com/p/2/p/how-to-reinstall-android-apps.html

gnome_mo

Sep 24, 2012
I don't know, google play used to reinstall my apps when I was on stock sony rom, but since I use Cyanogen now, it doesn't do it. I always keep checked option "keep backed up with bla bla", but it doesn't restore automatically :/

vrg3030

iarydroyoffice

Two options.

1. Push your apps recorded in your android market library to your phone.
2. Use titanium backup.

Titanium backup is easier, but since you do a reset to make everything fresh, I would prefer the first option.

What you do is to go to android market library from your PC browser. It has all your apps listed. For each app, use the install button to push it to your phone. You need not wait between apps. Just push which ever app you need and they will automatically get downloaded and installed to your phone. For some reason, Google has kept the reinstall feature hidden. See this for details -

thanks