Is the battery gauge mis-calibrated on the motox

Search This thread

Jamolah

Jan 18, 2008
I keep noticing my battery will last hours on 1% charge. Has anybody else noticed this phenomenon on their phone?

Sent from my XT1058 using XDA Free mobile app

insanezz

Jan 3, 2014
I've noticed it on a rather old device, a htc desire hd. (running a custom 4.4.2 rom) It lastest so long on 1%.

Probarly you need to re-calibrate your battery, after that it shouldn't get stuck on 1% anymore for such a long time

iKrYpToNiTe

Sep 16, 2012
Sanford, NC
I keep noticing my battery will last hours on 1% charge. Has anybody else noticed this phenomenon on their phone?

Once a month I recalibrate my battery, and it will sit on 1% for hours some times, and then only minutes the next it just depends. Just let it die then charge it to 100% uninterrupted. Normally they get uncalibrated after rom flashes and if you put it on a charger but don't let it charge to 100%.

Jamolah

Jan 18, 2008
I haven't put any ROMs on my phone. I'm still on stock Rogers rom.

How do I re-calibrate my battery?

oeusr

Aug 9, 2012
This keeps happening to me too. Battery drains quickly then stays at 1% for several hours. Lasted at 1% for 4 hours yesterday. I've done the "let drain until powers off and charge to 100" a couple times now but it still happens

iKrYpToNiTe

Sep 16, 2012
Sanford, NC
This keeps happening to me too. Battery drains quickly then stays at 1% for several hours. Lasted at 1% for 4 hours yesterday. I've done the "let drain until powers off and charge to 100" a couple times now but it still happens

Hmm that's odd never had that issue, I rarely go below 50% during the day.

I always heard that it's bad to let it die completely.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

It is if you do it every time, but not if you do it once a month or after a rom install.

Reactions: jakereeves31

danny39

Jun 26, 2009
Chicago, IL

When your phone dies, the battery doesn't completely die. Phones shut down before the battery is completely depleted in order to save a little bit of the battery. So if you let the phone shut down from low power and then charge it back up there shouldn't be any ill effects.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

jakereeves31

Feb 8, 2011
Brawley, California
When your phone dies, the battery doesn't completely die. Phones shut down before the battery is completely depleted in order to save a little bit of the battery. So if you let the phone shut down from low power and then charge it back up there shouldn't be any ill effects.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Yeah, I know that, but I was just saying what I've always heard from people:p

jayboyyyy

Oct 26, 2012
batteries don't fully discharge even when the phones dies as an above poster pointed out. If you were to let it die then leave it that way for a few weeks is when you will start to have problems. the lower the battery percentage is before charging is correlated with how many cycles your battery has. So draining to 70% then charging is better than draining to 30% then charging. The point in draining to 0 isn't to prolong the battery but to recalibrate the software determining what the percentage of the battery is. This will not have any worse of an impact on your battery then letting it drain to 10% then charging. Batteries may actually still have up 20% left when you fully discharge them because manufacturers don't want your battery to ever actually reach 0.

If you never discharge down to "0%" then charge to 100% then your phone can never properly calibrate your battery drain. It is always a guessing game for the software so doing a full discharge cycle gives it an updated benchmark to guess off of. The effects to the battery are not that big of a deal. If you read up enough on them you will find that to be true.

when the battery gets hot, that has a much bigger effect on its life than draining it to 0. But clearly if you drain to 0 every day then that will have a huge impact on battery life because you may only get 300 cycles out of it where as you might get 3000 if you only drained to 70% every day. (rough estimates, there is real data out there regarding then if you want to know the real numbers).

Reactions: iKrYpToNiTe

iKrYpToNiTe

Sep 16, 2012
Sanford, NC
batteries don't fully discharge even when the phones dies as an above poster pointed out. If you were to let it die then leave it that way for a few weeks is when you will start to have problems. the lower the battery percentage is before charging is correlated with how many cycles your battery has. So draining to 70% then charging is better than draining to 30% then charging. The point in draining to 0 isn't to prolong the battery but to recalibrate the software determining what the percentage of the battery is. This will not have any worse of an impact on your battery then letting it drain to 10% then charging. Batteries may actually still have up 20% left when you fully discharge them because manufacturers don't want your battery to ever actually reach 0.

If you never discharge down to "0%" then charge to 100% then your phone can never properly calibrate your battery drain. It is always a guessing game for the software so doing a full discharge cycle gives it an updated benchmark to guess off of. The effects to the battery are not that big of a deal. If you read up enough on them you will find that to be true.

when the battery gets hot, that has a much bigger effect on its life than draining it to 0. But clearly if you drain to 0 every day then that will have a huge impact on battery life because you may only get 300 cycles out of it where as you might get 3000 if you only drained to 70% every day. (rough estimates, there is real data out there regarding then if you want to know the real numbers).

I couldn't have paraphrased that article any better nice!

Wutang200

Jul 14, 2011
Manchester
I've noticed this in my Moto X. 1% lasts for a long time lol. Not that it's a bad thing but a little inaccurate if you ask me.

Ever since I've bought my Moto X, I've always let it die a few times then have charged it to 100% (full cycle) but it's not made any difference. Sounds like it's a bug in the software to me.

jayboyyyy

Oct 26, 2012
I've noticed this in my Moto X. 1% lasts for a long time lol. Not that it's a bad thing but a little inaccurate if you ask me.

Ever since I've bought my Moto X, I've always let it die a few times then have charged it to 100% (full cycle) but it's not made any difference. Sounds like it's a bug in the software to me.

did you charge it to 100% without turning it on? there may be battery stats (in a folder i can't remember but you can look it up) that you can delete to cause it to relearn battery level but i have read elsewhere that that theory is a myth and won't actually do anything.

IDK the logistics behind leaving your phone off, i just know i have done it both ways and it seems something else calibrates the battery when it is off that is not the android OS i guess but is the root level software for the phone or the bootloader or something. Im sure someone smarter than i could give a better explanation of the possible difference.

Zerei

Feb 13, 2012
I've experienced the same thing on my Moto X.

Something tells me that it's somehow related to poor battery life... But that's just expeculation.

Wutang200

Jul 14, 2011
Manchester
did you charge it to 100% without turning it on? there may be battery stats (in a folder i can't remember but you can look it up) that you can delete to cause it to relearn battery level but i have read elsewhere that that theory is a myth and won't actually do anything.

IDK the logistics behind leaving your phone off, i just know i have done it both ways and it seems something else calibrates the battery when it is off that is not the android OS i guess but is the root level software for the phone or the bootloader or something. Im sure someone smarter than i could give a better explanation of the possible difference.

I always leave the phone off when charging fully. Have tried with it on too but same results.

jayboyyyy

Oct 26, 2012
I always leave the phone off when charging fully. Have tried with it on too but same results.

search around for the place where the battery stats are located. I think the file just may be in the cache but I know i read somewhere at some point about the location where the software stores its battery stats so that it can guess what your battery percentage is. Search for that and clear that folder out and see if it helps. I would do this right before my phone was about to die at 1% then do the cycle if i were you. But that is just how i would go about things.

jakereeves31

Feb 8, 2011
Brawley, California
search around for the place where the battery stats are located. I think the file just may be in the cache but I know i read somewhere at some point about the location where the software stores its battery stats so that it can guess what your battery percentage is. Search for that and clear that folder out and see if it helps. I would do this right before my phone was about to die at 1% then do the cycle if i were you. But that is just how i would go about things.

I've heard people say that the stats reset themselves at 100%. But that's just what I've heard. Haha

Sent from my DROID MAXX using Tapatalk

jayboyyyy

Oct 26, 2012
I've heard people say that the stats reset themselves at 100%. But that's just what I've heard. Haha

Sent from my DROID MAXX using Tapatalk

ya like i said earlier, i also did read that deleting that folder was pointless but who knows. If my phone was continuing to do what yours is then i would be trying all sorts of things that people said wouldn't work. Then i would throw the phone into beer, bc i can, bc this thing is pretty much waterproof as anything. SOmebody submerged the thing in water for 30 minutes and it was still running. So maybe throw your phone in beer as a last resort.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Let it die completely then let it charge to 100% before you turn it back on, that's my process.

Hmm that's odd never had that issue, I rarely go below 50% during the day.

It is if you do it every time, but not if you do it once a month or after a rom install.
    Yeah, I know that, but I was just saying what I've always heard from people:p

This article is old but it explains why you shouldn't fully discharge a lithium-ion battery often! http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries