[DEV] SD Speed Increase (Diego Stamigni)

Search This thread
Jun 18, 2010
Rome
www.diegostamigni.com
Hi boyz,
A lot of you probably read, a week ago, or more, a thread by @brainmaster about a method to increase read/write speed of sdcard (more info on his thread).

Few days after I've made a free Android Market App that do the same thing that's explained on @brainmaster thread, but in a very simple mode.

Well, the app doesn't work on some ROMs, or devices, because the system tree is too different. Recently I released the 1.4.1 update, that improve some functions and, I wish, it could work on a lot of devices but I'm now sure.

In this case, I'd like to ask you a hand about that, to translate this app in other languages, or to be a tester, preferably someone that has problem with that one, specially where the app doesn't work in his device.

Join with me and make together a powerful app, only for the community.

DCMAKER

Apr 16, 2011
umm i believe by doing this your going to burn out your flash faster. It will write in 2mb blocks instead of 128kb blocks which means every write will do 2mb of wear instead of 128k(up to 16x the wear). Also does this make 4k writes faster? or does it make it slower? You should test this on an SD card using crystalmark

DCMAKER

Apr 16, 2011
Depend if your system has a max value (like 2048) and over it doesn't go.

the app recommends using 2mb which i did. the internal memory went from like 7-8MBps to 10-12MBps, which is a big increase but that was done by membench. Membench doesn't give any good info as in how the test is done so i have no clue if that is continuous or 512k or 64k of 4k. I'll try to format an sd card using windows later and see what crystal mark scores are but i would put a warning saying you are going to cause more wear and tear on your SD card by doing this.(atleast i believe that will cause more wear and tear but i am no expert. It is worth checking into.)

EDIT: running tests with my 16g sd card class 6. I'll post them when i am done.

EDIT: i ran the tests on my sd card using default (whatever that is) and 2048k. As you can see for some reason doing this there is no difference in speed. I do not know why that is but thats what i got. Do you know how to test this in android? membench only does internal memory.

Last edited:
Reactions: Frazercrib

Xplorer4x4

Mar 12, 2010
OnePlus 9
i would put a warning saying you are going to cause more wear and tear on your SD card by doing this.(atleast i believe that will cause more wear and tear but i am no expert. It is worth checking into.)
I will be interested to see your results. I wouldnt think this would hurt the cards life span. It has a limitedn umber of read and writes as it is and this isnt doing to increase or decrease the amount of reads or writes, simply make them quicker.

I suppose though you could look at it similar to OCing a cpu as it will decrease the lifespan of the CPU some what.

DCMAKER

Apr 16, 2011
I will be interested to see your results. I wouldnt think this would hurt the cards life span. It has a limitedn umber of read and writes as it is and this isnt doing to increase or decrease the amount of reads or writes, simply make them quicker.

I suppose though you could look at it similar to OCing a cpu as it will decrease the lifespan of the CPU some what.

i posted two tests i did in the post above i formated the cards using default settings and 2 MB block and saw nothing in windows so maybe this fix is with in the internal settings of android OS i guess.....so:

does that actually affect the block size?
Does it cause more wear?
How does this actually change the writing and reading?
Does it only improve sequential? or does it also improve random?
Does it hurt random because of the larger block write?

i think these are some important questions to answer. Also it seems this only affect internal memory and not the SD card. Because i found a boost when using membench which tests internal only i guess and i found no improvement using sd tool testing my micro sd card. Does anyone have any input on this? I think there are a lot of questions needing to be answered here.

dpthakar

Dec 20, 2010
Mumbai
great app.
can you keep option for 128k? (it is there in previous version, but not in latest one)

this is required to view videos smoothly on galaxy 3

Patricks_book

Feb 11, 2011
Delta Quadrant
Hi boyz,
A lot of you probably read, a week ago, or more, a thread by @brainmaster about a method to increase read/write speed of sdcard (more info on his thread).

Few days after I've made a free Android Market App that do the same thing that's explained on @brainmaster thread, but in a very simple mode.

Well, the app doesn't work on some ROMs, or devices, because the system tree is too different. Recently I released the 1.4.1 update, that improve some functions and, I wish, it could work on a lot of devices but I'm now sure.

In this case, I'd like to ask you a hand about that, to translate this app in other languages, or to be a tester, preferably someone that has problem with that one, specially where the app doesn't work in his device.

There has been two updates on the market for your app BUT no change log of updates.
so what has been changed? also this has ads in it so is it just to update the ads or is it an app update?

Also is there a donate version with NO ads. This i think is a must now-a-days.

Linda Manager file manager will tell you if an app has ads and it's free on the market and the paid app has NO ads.

lamebmx

Mar 12, 2011
Stow
i posted two tests i did in the post above i formated the cards using default settings and 2 MB block and saw nothing in windows so maybe this fix is with in the internal settings of android OS i guess.....so:

does that actually affect the block size?
Does it cause more wear?
How does this actually change the writing and reading?
Does it only improve sequential? or does it also improve random?
Does it hurt random because of the larger block write?

i think these are some important questions to answer. Also it seems this only affect internal memory and not the SD card. Because i found a boost when using membench which tests internal only i guess and i found no improvement using sd tool testing my micro sd card. Does anyone have any input on this? I think there are a lot of questions needing to be answered here.

Okay to somewhat answer this persons posts. and to inform unawares.

1st read the research post referenced in the OP.

the block size is the same, it only affects how it reads and not how it writes. therefore additional "wear" would be neglible at the most.

since its read ahead, its not going to have much of an effect on random/small files.

also its not an internal android setting. judging by the location of the setting its actually a kernel setting.

please feel free to correct me if im wrong, and provide a legit link i can learn off of.

King_Rat

Mar 19, 2011
ASUS ROG Phone 3
Questions ;-P

app is always running in services ^^ so... does it need to edit 'read_ahead_kb at every boot?? i.e. you can't use it to change setting & then uninstall b/c file will revert to default??

++ If set to 2048 kb it makes music skip every so often... So I have mine set to 1024 kb & I don't get this issue :D

regards,

Model: Huawei U8150 - tested & working :cool:

onlinespending

Sep 2, 2007
I am using this on an HTC Hero CDMA running CM 7.0.3. Seems to work well, except when I click it to persist the setting upon reboot, it doesn't appear to. After a reboot, the status always shows 128kB. Is it actually adding the script to init.rc to be applied on a reboot?

starandroid

Jan 27, 2011
Milan
www.salvjo.altervista.org
Sto usando questa tua utilissima app. Solo che ho trovato come valore dello stato a 3072kb mentre secondo la tua app. il valore migliore è 2048kb Non capisco allora come mai sto ottenendo un valore cosi grande?

Zeuszoos

Aug 9, 2012
Diego & All,

I am trying to buy this app in the Premium version in the Google Play Store and it keeps declining the Card I always use. I can't purchase anything. Called my bank. They said they're not even seeing the attempts and my Card is Active and fine.

Is anyone else having a problem purchasing this app (or any app) from Play?

I wanted to get it thru Google Play, so it will recognize the purchase in the future and in case there's any updates.

Thanks

Zeuszoos

Aug 9, 2012
Hi boyz,

Diego,

FYI, there is a problem (verified by Google Support) with purchasing the pay version of your app. I would have bought it today, but wasn't able to.

Just wanted to let you know.

TTYL

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi boyz,

Great job its really works. I found such a cool review of SD Speed Increase App here http://goo.gl/mlFlJ

Keep it up.
    Depend if your system has a max value (like 2048) and over it doesn't go.

the app recommends using 2mb which i did. the internal memory went from like 7-8MBps to 10-12MBps, which is a big increase but that was done by membench. Membench doesn't give any good info as in how the test is done so i have no clue if that is continuous or 512k or 64k of 4k. I'll try to format an sd card using windows later and see what crystal mark scores are but i would put a warning saying you are going to cause more wear and tear on your SD card by doing this.(atleast i believe that will cause more wear and tear but i am no expert. It is worth checking into.)

EDIT: running tests with my 16g sd card class 6. I'll post them when i am done.

EDIT: i ran the tests on my sd card using default (whatever that is) and 2048k. As you can see for some reason doing this there is no difference in speed. I do not know why that is but thats what i got. Do you know how to test this in android? membench only does internal memory.