process com.android.vending has stopped unexpectedly

Search This thread

HERNANDEZ4LIFE

Aug 26, 2009
Im getting this error and force close on one of my Heros when I try installing any of my apps on any of the 2.1 roms. Im coming from Fresh 1.1 and following the same procedure I used on my other Hero on which the market is fully functional. Ive wiped everything over and over and cleared data on anything that looked like it at to do with the market. I also tried fix apk mismatches from recovery. Short of RUU which Id like to avoid if at all possible Ive tried everything else I can think of. In searching I have come across this error code on other android phones, but nothing on the hero and nothing specific to trying to install apps. So has anyone else seen this? And would RUU do anything a full data wipe didnt already?

wcgbmd

Dec 3, 2009
Reading instructions has its benefits grasshopper...

Download the latest recovery and throw it onto your SD Card, boot into the old version of recovery and flash the new recovery as a .zip update, reboot into recovery again and then wipe your phone again, then install android 2.1, don't reboot yet, make sure your rom either has it's own custom kernal or download one for 2.1 and flash it, open up adb and clear dalvik cache and boot cache, then reboot your phone and you should load without any problems.

HERNANDEZ4LIFE

Aug 26, 2009
Thanks. But I did that from the get go. Aside from flashing a kernal, but Im running Darchtrev2 on the fully functional Hero that I mentioned and thats got a custum kernal built into the rom. So thats what I started with on the second one using the exact same process without success. Does wiping from adb do more than wiping from recovery? Thats one other thing I didnt do after the initial install.... But do understand you correctly that you have seen this specific error before?

Last edited:

HERNANDEZ4LIFE

Aug 26, 2009
Just bumpin the tread in hopes of finding a solution. I dont even mind gettin flamed for asking a stupid question if I could get linked up with a fix! lol I see its getting views, just no ideas I guess... It sucks cuz everything else works fine except the market. I get the list of my downloads, when I tap on one to install I the download button instead of the install button, so Ill tap on it and I get get the progress bar saying its downloading. When it gets to 100% I get the error and force close... Anyone?

wtphoto

Dec 14, 2009
Southfield, MI
I would try wiping again then flashing fresh 1.1 see if that boots and everything works ok then I would redownload the recovery and flash that still running fresh then reboot make sure everyhting is cool, then redownload whatever 2.1 rom you want and wipe and flash.

doing this serves 2 purposes

1. make sure that somewhere along the line none of the files corupted
2. if you still have the same problem then it will let you know where the problem is coming from.

just process of elimination

if you still have problems after that then I would say RUU, yes it is different than just wiping from recovery as it restores a completely stock image and gets rid of everything else. all a data wipe really does is get rid of user data.

just my opinion.

honestley thinnking about it I RUU'd my phone just for giggles then I re-rooted and then flashed DCv1 right from stock and I found that a lot of the little bugs that people where seeing I wasnt so it may not be a bad idea to ruu anyways.

Last edited:

HERNANDEZ4LIFE

Aug 26, 2009
Thanks for the reply and for giving me something different to try. I hadnt thought about trying that. Frustration I guess! It makes sense though. Ill give it shot. Thanks!

HERNANDEZ4LIFE

Aug 26, 2009
Yeah, Ive been thinking about RUU'n too just to see if making a fresh start would make any difference, but after all the time I spent getting the one Hero working like I want on 2.1 and the troubles Ive had with the second and what Ive read about people bricking trying to RUU or flash recovery Ive been kinda hesitant....

HERNANDEZ4LIFE

Aug 26, 2009
Why not see why it fc'd?
Adb with logcat of ...vending....
Find the syntax here: http://developer.android.com/search.html

Just an idea. It may or maynot give you the insight to fix the cause ( like a parameter ...vending... is null fetching on ).

Thanks. I dont know that Im quite that knowledgable though. Im sure I could read a logcat... understanding what the hell I would be reading is something else again. Saving the url though in case I need to dig deeper. Thanks for the reply.

wcgbmd

Dec 3, 2009
Alright if you're still having problems then just follow these steps:
  1. Boot into recovery and make a nandroid back up just in case something goes wrong.
  2. Download the latest version of your current 2.1 rom and reflash it from Recovery.
  3. Open up adb and mount the /data directory (adb shell, mount /data)
  4. Enter the following two commands in adb: rm -r /data/boot-cache , rm -r /data/dalvik-cache
  5. Go Back to ADB and type the following commands: cd /data/data/com.android.vending , rm -R cache
  6. Fix UID Mismatches using the tool in Recovery and then reboot your phone

HERNANDEZ4LIFE

Aug 26, 2009
Thanks again for your help all. I ended up just RUU'in . I'm with fixxer... fun isn't how I'd describe it! Anyway, I got it all working just to find out its got the mms issue now... if its not one thing its another. Oh well, something for me to work on tomorrow! Thanks again for the replies and advice.

wcgbmd

Dec 3, 2009
Thanks again for your help all. I ended up just RUU'in . I'm with fixxer... fun isn't how I'd describe it! Anyway, I got it all working just to find out its got the mms issue now... if its not one thing its another. Oh well, something for me to work on tomorrow! Thanks again for the replies and advice.

You should have updated to the latest ruu...

HERNANDEZ4LIFE

Aug 26, 2009
You should have updated to the latest ruu...

The latest RUU? I used the 1.56..... I did get it working tho. Flashed the mms. fix zip. Just wasn't expecting to have to as I didn't with my other hero. Don't know what the difference is between the two devices. Both are google branded, but the second one fought me every step of the way.

orris

Mar 3, 2010

First, sorry for the bump.

I just started getting this error and wanted to know if you figured out exactly what it was so I didn't have to go through that whole RUUing process. Thanks.

boredmug

Nov 18, 2008
don't know if this is your problem, but i know on sushi rom you have to go to manage applications, market, click on it and then click on uninstall updates.. Then apps. will download and install correctly.

seyer0686

Feb 25, 2010
don't know if this is your problem, but i know on sushi rom you have to go to manage applications, market, click on it and then click on uninstall updates.. Then apps. will download and install correctly.

I was having the same problem on DC a couple days ago and that fixed it for me. I was reading this thread wondering why no one had mentioned it yet.