[Solved] Galaxy S i9000 (galaxysmtd) - Auto-rotation problem

Search This thread

Rahul.raj

Dec 30, 2010
Xiaomi Mi A2
Hi,

I had disabled auto-rotate when I was on CM7 to reduce battery usage and never enabled it since then.

Recently, I have realized that it doesn't work any more - anyone facing the same issue with CM9/ AOKP ? I have repeatedly done full wipe-flashes with AOKP Build 37 and CM9 2012-05-28 nightly but it hasn't helped.

For reference, the accelerometers report good reading in all orientations and the auto-rotation works in the camera app, but not in gmail, stock browser, opera mini, etc.

While on AOKP/37, I also tried the sensor.zip fix found on one of the pages but that was a no-go too.

Currently I am on CM9/20120528 nightly with Nova launcher. All settings are set for Auto-Rotate (Nova/ System Settings). I also cleared the data/local/yas529.cfg file. After all this, it still doesn't work. I can get proper readings while using RIDGID Digital level (bubble level app) and the Accelerometer tests in Z-Device test, yet no apps will rotate for me :mad: .

Any ideas?

Thanks,
RR

PS: Logcat output is here : http://pastebin.com/kdKEDVLs
I tried enabling and disabling auto-rotate a few times, and then checked whether it rotates under Opera Mini and Stock Browser - Did not work. Also checked results of the Digital Level app - worked fine although one of the axis would not give any reading above 82.6 degrees.

PPS: A similar problem was found on the KANG thread in development (but I can't post there as I never needed to post till now, and was relying solely on <Search Forum> advice).
=================== Development Thread =======================
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1524108&highlight=rotate
6th March 2012, 02:40 AM
Replies: 2,881
Poll: [ROM] [ICS] Android Open Kang Project - galaxysmtd - Build 37
Views: 511,589
Posted By TheGoD
Thanks mate, but I really mean apps that u could...

… apps that u could normally rotate. I tried gmail, stock browser … . I also activated the auto rotate in the launchers (nova and …
===========================================================

Last edited:

Rahul.raj

Dec 30, 2010
Xiaomi Mi A2
Strange But True

Sorry for the delay in reverting. The above suggestion solved it.

I was waiting for the Linaro goodies to start flowing in before my next flash, but an extremely laggy contacts app meant that I had to move to Slim.

For reference of anyone in the same soup as me:

1. I flashed XXJVU (Stock GB) and then flashed the CF-root kernel to get CWM and root (both using Odin)

2. Then I flashed AOKP-Build 38 from CWM recovery, without wipe (twice, just to be sure). Checked auto rotation and it was working fine.

3. Flashed Slim with full wipe (data format/factory reset, dalvik wipe, and system format, as per karvind's instructions) and the Auto rotate is still working.

Thanks a ton! However, I am very curious: How did the AutoRotation fix persist in spite of full wipes? Where is this 'hidden' partition that is immune to formatting?

Last edited:

radeon_x

Jan 13, 2006
Sorry for the delay in reverting. The above suggestion solved it.

You got my hopes up, but sadly this exact procedure still didn't resolve my auto-rotation issue (doesn't work for system apps in ANY ICS ROM).

I'm curious to know if there is anybody else out there who absolutely (still) cannot get auto-rotation working in ICS. I wonder if there is a common hardware similarity that's causing the problem?

Rahul.raj

Dec 30, 2010
Xiaomi Mi A2
Check at every flash

Did you have the Auto rotation working when you had flashed back to the GB rom?

Also confirm if Z Device test gives correct variation in the accelerometer readings.

From GB to rooting to CM9, I did not do any wipe.

radeon_x

Jan 13, 2006
Did you have the Auto rotation working when you had flashed back to the GB rom?

Also confirm if Z Device test gives correct variation in the accelerometer readings.

From GB to rooting to CM9, I did not do any wipe.

Yeah rotation works fine in GB roms. I tried no wipe to ICS as well.

I'm trying Z Device on GB right now, and it does seem a little strange to me that the X and Y axes seem to be limited to +/-10 m/s (+/- 216 degrees). Or is that normal?

Last edited:

radeon_x

Jan 13, 2006
+/-10(or 9.8) is perfect.

Did you lose the rotation after rooting the GB, or after CM9?

After CM9. The phone is 2 years old, and I've been through every possible combination of Froyo, GB, custom kernel, etc. Never had a problem with rotation.

Now, in every 4.x based ROM rotation doesn't work - in system apps anyway. It does still work fine in 3rd party apps like games, sensor tests, the camera, etc. But never in the launcher, browser, SMS, etc.

EDIT: Also ran Z Device in CM9 - the results are the same as when running under GB. But still no rotation in ICS.

Last edited:

omg!

Aug 28, 2012
the rotation sensor on my i9000 seems to work only for certain apps, like the camera app, or the level app that i dl'ed from the store.

i'm thinking that these apps have some kind of low level access and they don't use the system orientation info.

the menus, keyboard, and other system apps don't rotate. isn't there another solution than to reflash a samsumg firmware?`
isn't it possible to port the orientation sensor calibration software that is found in the original samsung firmwares to CM9 or CM10?

or could someone point me to a thrid party app that solves this issue?

omg!

Aug 28, 2012
ok, i think i need to calibrate the sensor with the program "sensorcalibutil_yamaha" which is usually found in the /system/bin folder on stock samsung roms.
this program is missing in CM9/CM10 however. could someone upload it from their stock samsung rom?? thank you!

rybciasum

Jun 6, 2013
Yeah i know i will be a digger but...
I have problem with my i9000, screen rotation works only on stock. Cm9,cm10,gamerzrom, screen rotation is not working, i calibrated the accelerometer by SensorTester and it seems that its (accelerometer and cm hacked orientation sensor) working great, but screen rotation doesn't work, yes i enabled it, when im turning the phone randomly sometimes it will rotate the screen... any help?

Top Liked Posts