[Q] HDR Microphone gone from the specs?

Search This thread

tom369

Apr 18, 2011
I just noticed the "HDR Microphone" is now missing from the specs of the One:
http://www.htc.com/uk/smartphones/htc-one/#specs

Checked other regional sites and it's the same situation. I don't have a screenshot of previous specs but I could swear it was there. Can you guys confim it was there?

And if they removed it - it's interesting why? Because they expect future revisions coming without it because of this Nokia/STM case?

Tetsumi06

Dec 17, 2012
Bangor
That's me never sending my phone back to HTC for a repair then.

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app

tom369

Apr 18, 2011
But if this is really the case and they won't be putting these HDR mics in the future I would expect a clear statement from HTC. I know this might be uncomfortable for them but they should be clear about it so we know what we're buying. This really is a great device so honestly I hope they manage to obtain similar MIC technology and will put it into the One.

vincepg13

Jul 23, 2011
yes I believe it'd be the STM case. I think they're revising the technology so hopefully they come up with something

tom369

Apr 18, 2011
I was quite sure it was connected with this Nokia/STM case, but now they removed this from the specs so the most important question is what kind of MIC they will be putting into the One once the current stock from STM is depleted?

simba2585

Jul 12, 2008
replacement mics will no doubt be interchangeable with the STM ones. Whether or not the mic will be like for like that remains to be seen but on the onset, it appears could be non HDR....

btw how do you test the HDR ability of the mic.... when im talking on the phone and its pretty windy, the other person can still hear the noisy wind - i thought the HDR mic would cancel all that out...i have an early april build btw

---------- Post added at 11:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 AM ----------

actually just checked - the UK site still states HDR microphone.

Attachments

• __www.htc.com_uk_smartphones_htc-one_.pdf
    246.5 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

Riyal

Dec 16, 2011
Iloilo City
Added a screenshot of the HDR mic(Before they removed it.)

I really doubt they'll be able to add another HDR mic on it though... As the patent is not the chipset but what the chipset brings or what makes it unique.

attachment.php

Attachments

• ss.jpg
    ss.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 1,392
Last edited:
Reactions: tom369

tom369

Apr 18, 2011
Thanks for the screenshot, so it's now clear it's been removed. I hope it will be back.

Shasarak

Aug 7, 2009
London
btw how do you test the HDR ability of the mic.... when im talking on the phone and its pretty windy, the other person can still hear the noisy wind - i thought the HDR mic would cancel all that out...
HDR means "High Dynamic Range". Microphones found in phones generally have a limited dynamic range: either they're good at picking up quiet sounds, but quickly start to distort if you're recording something loud, or they can handle loud noises but soft sounds aren't picked up at all. The current HTC One mic contains two separate membranes, one optimised for loud sounds and one for quiet, and switches automatically between them depending on the volume of what's being recorded. So you can (for example) record the sound at a rock concert without distortion, but also record someone talking. A non-HDR replacement mic will have to compromise between loud and quiet performance somehow.

simba2585

Jul 12, 2008
HDR means "High Dynamic Range". Microphones found in phones generally have a limited dynamic range: either they're good at picking up quiet sounds, but quickly start to distort if you're recording something loud, or they can handle loud noises but soft sounds aren't picked up at all. The current HTC One mic contains two separate membranes, one optimised for loud sounds and one for quiet, and switches automatically between them depending on the volume of what's being recorded. So you can (for example) record the sound at a rock concert without distortion, but also record someone talking. A non-HDR replacement mic will have to compromise between loud and quiet performance somehow.

so thats why they can still hear me clearly AND the wind...?

---------- Post added at 12:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 PM ----------

Thanks for the screenshot, so it's now clear it's been removed. I hope it will be back.

correction:its still on the UK site ...ok it was a few minutes ago!

simba2585

Jul 12, 2008
No, it's for helpful for example when you're at the concert and want to record a video.

ah right ok.

i recall reading a review, i think anandtechs or engadgets, where they mentioned that in a busy environment, near road works the other person couldnt hear anything at all other than the callers voice...

hence why i thought the HDR mic would cancel out the wind in a way.

Shasarak

Aug 7, 2009
London
ah right ok.

i recall reading a review, i think anandtechs or engadgets, where they mentioned that in a busy environment, near road works the other person couldnt hear anything at all other than the callers voice...

Wind noise is a bit different from traffic noise. The One has a double microphone, front and back - when noise reduction is active, anything where you get more or less the same sound in the back microphone as you do in the front is screened out, on the assumption that it must be background noise coming from a long way away. Anything that is mostly in the front mic (e.g. you speaking into it) is preserved. Unfortunately wind noise is caused by the wind blowing straight into the microphone and is directional, so you get different wind noises in the two different mics, and the noise reduction system doesn't recognise it as background.

The noise reduction system has absolutely nothing whatever to do with HDR. HDR is about being able to record both loud and soft sounds accurately. (And physically it's about two different membranes in one mic).

Reactions: savko

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Added a screenshot of the HDR mic(Before they removed it.)

I really doubt they'll be able to add another HDR mic on it though... As the patent is not the chipset but what the chipset brings or what makes it unique.

attachment.php
    so thats why they can still hear me clearly AND the wind...?

No, it's for helpful for example when you're at the concert and want to record a video.
    ah right ok.

Wind noise is a bit different from traffic noise. The One has a double microphone, front and back - when noise reduction is active, anything where you get more or less the same sound in the back microphone as you do in the front is screened out, on the assumption that it must be background noise coming from a long way away. Anything that is mostly in the front mic (e.g. you speaking into it) is preserved. Unfortunately wind noise is caused by the wind blowing straight into the microphone and is directional, so you get different wind noises in the two different mics, and the noise reduction system doesn't recognise it as background.

The noise reduction system has absolutely nothing whatever to do with HDR. HDR is about being able to record both loud and soft sounds accurately. (And physically it's about two different membranes in one mic).
    can i check which micro i have without taking my phone apart ?
    Right now everyone has the HDR mic.

The change is happening because of a court case.

Nokia originally designed a new microphone and paid ST Microelectronics to manufacture it for them. Part of the agreement between the two companies was that STM wouldn't sell any of these microphones to anyone except Nokia until 12 months after Nokia started using them. (This is perfectly reasonable: Nokia did all of the research and design). STM, however, violated that agreement and started illegally selling them to HTC after only two months without telling HTC the details of the agreement with Nokia. HTC have been using the microphones in the One handset.

Nokia sued STM. The judgement of the court was that HTC wasn't to blame for any of this, as they didn't know about the agreement with Nokia, so they were allowed to keep all of the microphones they had already bought in good faith; but STM would now be violating a court order if they sold HTC any more of them.

So, all One handsets manufactured up until now have the HDR mic. All handsets manufactured in the next few weeks will have them too, because HTC will have several weeks' worth of components in stock. However, once the supply runs out, any handsets manufactured after that will have to have a different mic in (possibly an inferior one). So, buy quickly. :)

(It's still possible that the court's decision may be overturned on appeal, or that HTC can work out some kind of licensing deal with Nokia to allow STM to sell them the mics legally; but don't hold your breath).