M8 Verizon not able to be unlocked through HTC Dev

Search This thread

FragmentedLogik

Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
Sunshine only works for one device. So for two it be 50 all together. It gives you s-off and unlock bootloader then go fine the custom recovery u want and use flashify to install custom recovery.

Sent from my One M8 using XDA Free mobile app

okay i usually use ADB/Fastboot in windows Power shell, ive never heard of the flashify app how does it differ from the method i use?

the_rooter

Aug 3, 2014
Olean
Ya but it a still a shame cause in general that's not how are community works (as far as charging for exploits). When someone tries to charge for a jailbreak the Apple community goes absolutely nuts.

Its not really a shame at all. Its becoming harder and harder to find exploits, and these guys that did the developement for sunshine had multiple hard bricks on a 600+ dollar phone. I think the developers should charge for exploits in my opinion. People lately are taking advantage of the developers by not doing research and reading up before they attempt to play with their phone. There are alot of people that dont follow the rules on this forum, and it becomes a headache daily just to come onto this site. So a measly 25$ to support the hard work for the developers is no shame. Its supporting them for this great community that we have. Just be grateful. Eventually there will come a time where exploits will be no more. Flashing and rooting will become no more. Just be happy what you have and be grateful. Like I said 25$ to unlock for a 600$ phone is nothing compared to the headache these guys do for us.

ericerk

Jun 21, 2010
Its not really a shame at all. Its becoming harder and harder to find exploits, and these guys that did the developement for sunshine had multiple hard bricks on a 600+ dollar phone. I think the developers should charge for exploits in my opinion. People lately are taking advantage of the developers by not doing research and reading up before they attempt to play with their phone. There are alot of people that dont follow the rules on this forum, and it becomes a headache daily just to come onto this site. So a measly 25$ to support the hard work for the developers is no shame. Its supporting them for this great community that we have. Just be grateful. Eventually there will come a time where exploits will be no more. Flashing and rooting will become no more. Just be happy what you have and be grateful. Like I said 25$ to unlock for a 600$ phone is nothing compared to the headache these guys do for us.

I'm glad that you feel this way, but a lot of people don't feel this way. While the work is worth something, and always appreciated there are some polices that are kind of ridiculous. For example: You have some form of hardware issue, a factory defect, the vib motor stops working etc... post paying the 25 buck fee... After you get the device replaced, You you have to pay again, same fee.

Whilst the work is appreciated, and your opinion is noted, please don't dictate the feelings people have about paying for what was once free. This is the first time, a software modification such as S-Off / Bootloader unlocking has become real.

Now I know you want to bring up the bounty threads, those are people who are trying to motivate the devs to unlock. People who have spare cash. Some people don't really have a spare 25 bucks. While that number may not seem like a lot to you, it's a lot for a college student, I know no one is forcing anything on any of us but again, we must come back to my point, it was free before, now it's paid. It stings a little. No one is being ungrateful, we're just confused. When you get used to something you like keeping it. I.E. free mods, and the benefits of Unlocked bootloaders (Yay CM)

This is not an attack against the sunshine team. They have and will continue to do good work, which I appreciate.

UPDATE. I was wrong, 25 bucks is worth every penny, sunshine is great.

Last edited:
Reactions: blestsol

BadUsername

Mar 20, 2013
I'm glad that you feel this way, but a lot of people don't feel this way. While the work is worth something, and always appreciated there are some polices that are kind of ridiculous. For example: You have some form of hardware issue, a factory defect, the vib motor stops working etc... post paying the 25 buck fee... After you get the device replaced, You you have to pay again, same fee.

Whilst the work is appreciated, and your opinion is noted, please don't dictate the feelings people have about paying for what was once free. This is the first time, a software modification such as S-Off / Bootloader unlocking has become real.

Now I know you want to bring up the bounty threads, those are people who are trying to motivate the devs to unlock. People who have spare cash. Some people don't really have a spare 25 bucks. While that number may not seem like a lot to you, it's a lot for a college student, I know no one is forcing anything on any of us but again, we must come back to my point, it was free before, now it's paid. It stings a little. No one is being ungrateful, we're just confused. When you get used to something you like keeping it. I.E. free mods, and the benefits of Unlocked bootloaders (Yay CM)

This is not an attack against the sunshine team. They have and will continue to do good work, which I appreciate.

Sunshine was never free, firewater was, they are completely different methods and aren't even related. You're comparing apples and oranges.

The only reason I agree with them charging $25 per device is to keep sunshine up to date throughout the life of the device. If you had a samsung s4 or s3 and received a warranty replacement from a phone that was unlocked to a new one, the new phone would be locked with no exploit. Wouldn't you rather know that the phone you're receiving can still be unlocked? I think so. Makes me much less concerned about exchanging my phone if I need to.

Even $25 isn't too much for a college student. Save a dollar a day, or don't drink coffee or tea for a week. I've never met a college student who couldn't save $25 for something they really want.

Sunshine is great for what it does, firewater would be impossible for them to keep updated at this point anyway. There's a reason they developed sunshine's exploit over firewater's. It's a much better method.

Bootloader exploits are something special anyway. Gives you complete freedom to do anything you want, including the ability to permaroot the phone without an exploit. Samsung owners have to use exploits to root, and it sucks when Verizon patches those exploits. The bounty has to be restarted and paid all over again, and causes device fragmentation.

A bootloader unlock for all versions of a phone is great for the community, all roms will run great across all devices and the guides will all remain exactly the same. That alone is worth $25 to me.

Last edited:

the_rooter

Aug 3, 2014
Olean
Sunshine was never free, firewater was, they are completely different methods and aren't even related. You're comparing apples and oranges.

The only reason I agree with them charging $25 per device is to keep sunshine up to date throughout the life of the device. If you had a samsung s4 or s3 and received a warranty replacement from a phone that was unlocked to a new one, the new phone would be locked with no exploit. Wouldn't you rather know that the phone you're receiving can still be unlocked? I think so. Makes me much less concerned about exchanging my phone if I need to.

Even $25 isn't too much for a college student. Save a dollar a day, or don't drink coffee or tea for a week. I've never met a college student who couldn't save $25 for something they really want.

Sunshine is great for what it does, firewater would be impossible for them to keep updated at this point anyway. There's a reason they developed sunshine's exploit over firewater's. It's a much better method.

Bootloader exploits are something special anyway. Gives you complete freedom to do anything you want, including the ability to permaroot the phone without an exploit. Samsung owners have to use exploits to root, and it sucks when Verizon patches those exploits. The bounty has to be restarted and paid all over again, and causes device fragmentation.

A bootloader unlock for all versions of a phone is great for the community, all roms will run great across all devices and the guides will all remain exactly the same. That alone is worth $25 to me.
I been trying to explain to him. Thanks

Reactions: BadUsername

jcase

Retired Forum Mod / Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 20, 2010
Sequim WA
Ya but it a still a shame cause in general that's not how are community works (as far as charging for exploits). When someone tries to charge for a jailbreak the Apple community goes absolutely nuts.

IOS exploits are not uncommonly sold, but generally not used for public jailbreaks. The when public ones are sold, the uproar is because someone has STOLEN another developers work, not because someone who has invested years decided they want reimbursement for their costs. Construction works don't go around building garages for people, for free all day, why should we invest a lot of money and time to give unlocks away? Any idea how much time goes into these things? Way more than it would take to build the garage I want.

Scott

Retired Recognized Developer
IOS exploits are not uncommonly sold, but generally not used for public jailbreaks. The when public ones are sold, the uproar is because someone has STOLEN another developers work, not because someone who has invested years decided they want reimbursement for their costs. Construction works don't go around building garages for people, for free all day, why should we invest a lot of money and time to give unlocks away? Any idea how much time goes into these things? Way more than it would take to build the garage I want.

Its not often I agree with JCase, but I agree with Jcase!

Actually I usually agree with JCase...

But yeah, its software, its not open source, you have to pay for it. Just like you have to buy apps from play store. You also had to pay for the hardware.

You get free ROMS for free though!

Pay them the $25.00 and dont complain. Life would be hell (for me anyways) if there was no S-OFF.

Jcase, i appreciate the time you put into this because if you did not, I would have NOTHING to do.

Last edited:

Siouxsie D

Jun 6, 2012
I know this is late in the game and completely personal opinion but for what it's worth Sunshine is the way to go.
It is completely worth the $25!!!
Spent a total of 6 hours trying to gain root and S-off last week using weaksauce, SuperSu,firewater, etc.and was going to give up when someone suggested using a different browser to download and use Sunshine.
Had Verizon HTC one m8 completely done within about 15 minutes.
It was so easy.

Reactions: jcase

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Why don't you try firewater s-off to see if the exploit still works? Please report back with your findings.

eidt: devs have said it could brick device, would not recommend doing it.
    Not sure why anyone is suprised. Those of us with the M7 knew this month's ago. For the first day after the M7 was released you could use HTC DEV unlock then VZ made HTC lock that down for the M7.

I too hoped maybe VZ had not gotten to HTC yet for the M8 so I tried but no luck. Will need to wait for rumrunner or firewater to be updated to support the M8. It may take a while....
    Yes sir. Rumrunner gave you S-Off which is "Signature Off". Once that is set, you can flash custom recoveries and then custom rom's. It took months for the team to get this working and I know it did not work on 4.4.2. I think we are in for a long wait. If you bought this hoping you could get custom rom's you might want to reconsdier. If you like the phone and can live with it stock for a few months, it's a great device.

The M7 was the best phone I ever had and I swap phones a lot.

S-OFF actually stands for Security Off :)