app2sd workin on telus milestone

Search This thread

gemini002

May 14, 2008
wow i got app2sd working on my telus milestone make sure that busybox is not installed on the system i mean when u use adb to install not busybox itself (from titanium etc) if the method does not work unroot then root the try it will work.
i did not create this i have just copied and pasted it i know alot of people need this so here:D

. App2SD Version 2 (http://www.mediafire.com/?emhyw4tmkmh)
This revised version of App2SD is more refine. It moves cache as well as apps to MicroSD.

Steps to prepare for installation:
1. Unzip the downloaded file and you should see a folder "APP2SD Package".
2. Rename "APP2SD Package" folder to "app2sd" and move this folder to MicroSD. (place it in the root: MicroSD card/)

Next, simply connect the Milestone to your computer.
Ensure it is "Charge Only" for USB connection and USB Debugging mode for USB is turned on under Settings > Applications > Development.
Once you have the above checked, go ahead to launch a command prompt and perform the following:

Type: cd/ (to get to the root of your C: drive)
Type: cd /android/tools (to get to the folder of the Android SDK which i mentioned earlier)
Type: adb devices (you should see your Milestone serial number showing up. If you do not see serial number, it means there is no connection to your Milestone)
Type: adb shell
Type: su (make sure you do not see a prompt window on your Milestone. If you do, grant permission for it to access)
Type: cd /sdcard/app2sd
Type: sh install_use_busybox.sh (trigger installation of App2SD)
Type: y (to confirm that you want to install)
wait for the prompt to show you that App2SD is complete and a reboot is needed for it to take effect.
Type: y (to confirm reboot. You might notice that Milestone do not reboot by self which is normal)
Type: reboot (if you find Milestone do not reboot after you enter y as above mentioned)

Enjoy after the reboot... this works yes:D

kittcoldfire

Aug 27, 2009
hey I'm just about to do the apps2sd for my milestone and was wondering which partitions if any did you make for the SD card? thanks

I'm assuming it needs at least ext2 and I'm about to set mine up with ext3, just want to make sure so I don't screw anything up

also just wanted to say if you haven't overclocked your milestone, definitely do it, just did mine yesterday, running at 1ghz and it is so amazing, downloads are insane, browser is quick and menus and everything are perfect, eat that X10

gemini002

May 14, 2008
hey I'm just about to do the apps2sd for my milestone and was wondering which partitions if any did you make for the SD card? thanks

I'm assuming it needs at least ext2 and I'm about to set mine up with ext3, just want to make sure so I don't screw anything up

also just wanted to say if you haven't overclocked your milestone, definitely do it, just did mine yesterday, running at 1ghz and it is so amazing, downloads are insane, browser is quick and menus and everything are perfect, eat that X10

haha ya i overclocked it but I do not go over 800mhz to risky plus gets pretty hot.
I made a ext 2 partion using unbuntu,.......partionmanager said it was partioned but would not work,app2sd did not see it. u can try it though but i recommend unbuntu let me know what happens:D

kittcoldfire

Aug 27, 2009
haha ya i overclocked it but I do not go over 800mhz to risky plus gets pretty hot.
I made a ext 2 partion using unbuntu,.......partionmanager said it was partioned but would not work,app2sd did not see it. u can try it though but i recommend unbuntu let me know what happens:D

so I got it all running, partitioned with ext3, it seems to be working but it didn't push any of my existing apps over to the SD card, do you know if there's a script to do this? Or do I have to uninstall each and reinstall them? (tested that way and they seem to go to the SD card then)

gemini002

May 14, 2008
so I got it all running, partitioned with ext3, it seems to be working but it didn't push any of my existing apps over to the SD card, do you know if there's a script to do this? Or do I have to uninstall each and reinstall them? (tested that way and they seem to go to the SD card then)

ya uninstall reinstall had to do that too but hey it works:D

kittcoldfire

Aug 27, 2009
ya uninstall reinstall had to do that too but hey it works:D

I had to reinstall everything and i rooted and did everything exactly the same way as i did before, but now for some reason it won't let me install the apps to sd... here's the errors I get

warnning/system/bin/busybox'exists,use -f to overwrite
warnning'/system/lib/modules/ext2.ko'exists,use -f to overwrite insmod: can't insert '/system/lib/modulesext2/ko':File exists
mkdir failed for /system/sd, File exists
mount: mounting /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 on /system/sd failed: device or resource busy
sorry, mount sd ext2 fail!!!!!

what the heck does this mean? how can i fix this?

I partitioned the sd card as... (16gb) 14.something gb fat32, 1gb ext3, 32mb linux swap

gemini002

May 14, 2008
I had to reinstall everything and i rooted and did everything exactly the same way as i did before, but now for some reason it won't let me install the apps to sd... here's the errors I get

warnning/system/bin/busybox'exists,use -f to overwrite
warnning'/system/lib/modules/ext2.ko'exists,use -f to overwrite insmod: can't insert '/system/lib/modulesext2/ko':File exists
mkdir failed for /system/sd, File exists
mount: mounting /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 on /system/sd failed: device or resource busy
sorry, mount sd ext2 fail!!!!!

what the heck does this mean? how can i fix this?

I partitioned the sd card as... (16gb) 14.something gb fat32, 1gb ext3, 32mb linux swap

busy box cannot be installed i had this error at first too .well u dont need linux swap so get rid of it what did u use to partion sd card i use unbuntu all other partioned card but it would not work only worked when i used unbuntu .unroot download open recovery 1.05(google it)root with open recovery and try again

kittcoldfire

Aug 27, 2009
busy box cannot be installed i had this error at first too .well u dont need linux swap so get rid of it what did u use to partion sd card i use unbuntu all other partioned card but it would not work only worked when i used unbuntu .unroot download open recovery 1.05(google it)root with open recovery and try again

yeah it's okay, this morning I sat down with it and put on my programming hat and went through the script and modified it enough to make it fix all the errors I was getting, so I've got it all done, nice 144mb of free space on the phone, and back to overclocked, and everything is running nice and smooth!!

geekygrl

Nov 5, 2009
Melbourne
nevermind - got it working, just had to ensure the partition is made the correct way in Ubuntu!

Last edited:

DAGr8

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 27, 2010
Montreal
Hi apps2sd v1 is kinda old news and was much more complicated then that , are you sure your guide is complete for someone who hasnt done all that was needed to be done in previous version ?
Also I never applied this mod because I was wondering why there was a need for it .. with the 'davlik mem cache hack' I have tons of applications & widget installed , much more then I need in fact so yea you guys notice if the phone is faster or anything else after usin apps2sd ?

did u hear the bootloader has been cracked:)

it s not , or I guess it all depends on what you call cracked , whatever has been done to it is useless for us practically speaking , truth is we are in fact very close ( talking of a few weeks maximum a the speed its currently going )to running 'roms' on our stone !!!

gemini002

May 14, 2008
Hi apps2sd v1 is kinda old news and was much more complicated then that , are you sure your guide is complete for someone who hasnt done all that was needed to be done in previous version ?
Also I never applied this mod because I was wondering why there was a need for it .. with the 'davlik mem cache hack' I have tons of applications & widget installed , much more then I need in fact so yea you guys notice if the phone is faster or anything else after usin apps2sd ?

it s not , or I guess it all depends on what you call cracked , whatever has been done to it is useless for us practically speaking , truth is we are in fact very close ( talking of a few weeks maximum a the speed its currently going )to running 'roms' on our stone !!!

it's faster with overclock module 4 sure plus i have tons of apps:D
the guide is straight forward just make sure u use unbuntu to partition

true but now no siginature is needed so custom roms on the way:D froyo was ported on sat to droid so we should get it in a few week heck maybe this week it is something worth doing now that we don't need no bootloader :p

geekygrl

Nov 5, 2009
Melbourne
Hi apps2sd v1 is kinda old news and was much more complicated then that , are you sure your guide is complete for someone who hasn't done all that was needed to be done in previous version ?

it is complete and works well, from what I can gather its just a script of the previous apps2sd so makes life a lot easier (with some obvious tweaks)

One part about it I do not like and am looking into how to change it is it goes and installs a heap of Telus libs/files in the OS as well as the UMTS/GSM files - nice to be able to do both Milestones at once, but a bit sloppy....time to tweak....

Just make sure the card is partitioned in a card reader and not via the phone in Ubuntu (its NOT unbuntu!!..lol) and there is no need for a swap partition.

And if you are not using gparted but the included 'disk utility' in Lucid, make sure you untick the 'Take Ownership' check box otherwise it will partition it for super user access only!

Took me 3 goes to get it done right :eek: but that was the only method of partitioning that would work for me with no errors :)

The only speed increase has been thanks to the Overclock module, just nice to see 140mb still free on the phone after installing many many apps - better than the 10mb I used to have free ;)

DAGr8

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 27, 2010
Montreal
true but now no siginature is needed so custom roms on the way:D froyo was ported on sat to droid so we should get it in a few week heck maybe this week it is something worth doing now that we don't need no bootloader :p

Sorry dont get your hopes up but you are Wrong ... plain wrong

its not cracked
signature still needed
and Kexec aint workin yet either ..

Our best hope for custom roms is Kexec and it will most likely be up and runnin within a month ( fingers crossed )

This Forum is a great (1 of the best ) forum so unless you are able to boot something without signature by yourself please dont spread false information as others might think because it has been posted here its true .

mischief4l

Mar 24, 2006
So App2SD will not be listed under Settings->Applications?

When i do ls -l /data, what should i expect to see if it works? If it didnt work?

Azrael24

Oct 23, 2007
uhm....help? lol

yeah it's okay, this morning I sat down with it and put on my programming hat and went through the script and modified it enough to make it fix all the errors I was getting, so I've got it all done, nice 144mb of free space on the phone, and back to overclocked, and everything is running nice and smooth!!

I had the same error as you did earlier about the 'sorry, mount sd ext2 fail!!!!!' issue. I'm not a programmer, but can you please detail how'd you get around this problem? I use Windows 7, and have the milestone plugged in on 'charge only'. Am I missing a step here?

Please advise what the heck I'm doing wrong here and thanks. :]

Az

Last edited: