Engle_Mars KitKat (AOSP 4.4.2) 2014-03-28

Search This thread

Engle_Mars

Oct 2, 2012
KitKat for Motorola Milestone 2 (Android 4.4)

Introduction
I am a android fan and I like it very much (I came from Chinese). I have ported this rom for my ME722 (Milestone 2 China version) and the project is open source. The rom has some nice advancements. I would like you to try my rom and send bugreports to me. I'm a Java / C++ programmer, but i'm not good at hardware therefor some bugs I can't fix. I have submitted some patches for the CM official, but if you can supply patches for this it will be ok. The rom is world wide language support.

(In order to get more effect battery control, I suggest you use my develop screen brightness controller application. You can download from
Cubby: https://www.cubby.com/pl/BrightnessAdjuster.apk/_f4f78b01abe543ea82fc7a910473f8df
360: http://yunpan.cn/QpfwUG3uFAmxu
Amazon Store http://www.amazon.com/x8881-x6E05-x...F8&qid=1391848181&sr=1-26&keywords=brightness
Please help to click the AD in the application to support me, thanks. Last update on 2014-01-30)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ROM Download Server (The url is my network disk share folder, you can get the all version from here)
360 : http://yunpan.cn/QXcbILcSfm4Rk (Access password:1396)
cubby: https://www.cubby.com/pl/Engle_Mars-4.4.2-20140328.zip/_6b5ecb4b600c41bca87d598e7c435cc9

Please help to make mirror download server. All network disk thit is not locale in Chinese is too slow to upload for some know reason.

file: Engle_Mars-4.4.2-20140328.zip
md5: 6db1259c3a22f6970c833384f90d2706

Donations
If you like and appreciate my work, and you may donate in the following ways.

1. My PayPal account: yuanqingyun@gmail.com

2. Taobao (now in Chinese). The following is the donate two-dimensional code
91CC7A0B789125B9A5236ROM_zps9b8b2d86.png

FAQ

1. The media scan eat up my battery.
The major problem is the SD card has too many files to scan. You can create empty file that is named '.noscanandnomtp' under the folders that you need not to scan. To me, I add this empty file in all folders under the root folder of SD card, except the folder "DICM", 'Audios', "Noticifitions", "Alerm". After do the previous steps, you can find the system speed will very quick and no more battery usage.

2. I can not send SMS.
The problem is happen when you upgrade from other ROM. The SMSC is incorrect make such problem. Please refer to the following page to try to resolve it. http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/SMSC_Updates.

3. How can I enable ART
3.1 First, please enter development module. Settings->About Phone->Click the 'Build number' item in seven time. It will show 'Developer options'
3.2 Settings->Developer options->Select runtime, click the item Use ART. Restart your phone is OK.

4. If enable ART cannot enter system how to resolve it.
4.1. WIPE.
4.2. Use adb to connect your phone by following command to set back dalvik and keep all your data
adb shell setprop persist.sys.dalvik.vm.lib libdvm.so

I want to trim some language support, please tell me what's your langage usage. Because the system partition is too small to fit for bigger and bigger system

Changelog & History
2014-03-28
1. WiFi Tether can work。
2. Fix USB Tether crash problem,still has bug for USB Tether, but it can work now.
You have to push&plus the USB cable and click the share in twice。
3. Fix the incall UI show slow problem.

2014-01-29
1. Fix the battery drain (kernel problem) for standby phone.
2. Add support send any file as attachment in email.
3. Add long press return to kill application function.
4. Release ROM use APK, not use ODEX for no more system space problem.

2013-12-27
1. Fix can't preview in camera panorama module.
2. Fix some camera application (for example Weixin) preview show split screen.
3. Add LTO service work on system startup.
4. Enable 720p and 480p record in Camera.
5. Port some CM bugs (resource leak and null pointer) fix.
6. Add ability to kill package process to avoid cannot share sdcard (Some application (Such as Weixin) has problem will not release the handle for sdcard after system fire unmout signal, so have to kill the whole package process and service that is belong to the package when umount sdcard. )

2013-12-12

1. Initialize version for KitKat 4.4.2.
1.1 567ea11 Fix OOBE crash/DoS after receiving 0-byte WAP push.
1.2 3574026 Reduce logging of flattened Preferences
1.3 d00f7cd Android denial of service attack using class 0 SMS messages
1.4 37f06a4 Put fragment in specific activity's whitelist

2. Add delay send MMS.

Know issue:

When upgrade system applications may restart the GUI at least twice.

2013-12-06
1. Initialize version for 4.4.1.
2. Fix the VPN cannot connect problem.

Know issue
1. The upgrade GUI will restart at least twice, but not effect upgrade and usage.

2013-12-04

1. Fix bluetooth cannot receive file.
2. Fix cannot network location.
3. Add performance settings in Milestone2 Part.
4. Add KSM support in ART.
5. Merge git://codeaurora.org/platform/dalvik branch 'kk_2.7_rb1.11'.
6. Synchorize CMFileManager code to 2013-12-03.
7. Add language to support Franch, Hungarian and Netherlands.
8. Fix no default APN.

2013-11-28

1. Fix the video playing color problem.
2. Fix click the setting in launcher no reponse.
3. Fix cannot share SD card by USB.
4. Add Long Term Orbits (LTO) support.
5. Enable KitKat builtin privacy management (settings->security->application operations).
6. Add OTA support.
7. Trim all languages except Chinese, English, Brazil, Spanish, Polish and Italy.
8. Trim the Japanese Pinyin input.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2013-11-26
1. Initialize version. (Enjoy)
2. Camera can work normal. But the decoder has green/pink color problem. If you put the record file in PC, it can show normal.
3. Bluetooth can work in phone and receive file, but cannot receive file.
4. Integrate GMS 4.3, ART can work normal.

Know Issues
1. The video output for MP4 has green/pink color problem.
2. Can not share SD card.
3. Not test GPS, it may not work.
4. Not test mobile data. No money to use it. Please help to test.
5. GMS 4.4 (Form XDA) use newest dex format, so ART cannot reconize it and pass complie. Not use the 4.4 GMS if you enable ART, it will block your phone to start. The system intergate with 4.3 it can pass ART. You can update all Google applications, such G+, from play store. It can work normal.

Project main page (The source branch is KitKat)
https://sourceforge.net/p/me722-cm/

My Contact:
QQ: 122880146
Yahoo: engle_mars
MSN: mars_engle
email: Yuanqingyun@gmail.com

Last edited:

qubbey

Feb 5, 2012
I like to try it, but I can't get the download to finish -.-
Perhaps you can provide another mirror.

Got it.
Wow, looks aweseome.

Some info for others:
gApps are included so don't flash a zip for that.
You should come from cm10.2 to flash this ROM. (Couldn't flash from stock)

Last edited:

Fedroid

Jan 19, 2011
Barcelona
Moto G
Huawei P8lite/P8 Lite
Last edited:

Zinamo

Mar 3, 2007
Aosta
Very good to see another KitKat for MS2!! By the way, my language is Italian, if it is possible keep it but if you don't have space you can chop it away and I will use english! is there any other italian MS2 user?

Fedroid

Jan 19, 2011
Barcelona
Moto G
Huawei P8lite/P8 Lite
First impression

Know Issues
5. GMS 4.4 (Form XDA) use newest dex format, so ART cannot reconize it and pass complie. Not use the 4.4 GMS if you enable ART, it will block your phone to start. The system intergate with 4.3 it can pass ART. You can update all Google applications, such G+, from play store. It can work normal.[/QUOTE]

I have been using the rom for a while and I can say It is stable for daily use.

Mobile data ok
Play store ok
gps ok
calls ok (And you can record them with AutoCallRecorder)
No chinesse characters at all
sms ok
camera ok (as told by Engle_Mars)

If you try to use lgcamera the previeww is a horrible split screen, but
photo and videos are taken fine.

Bluetooth Send files ok
Receive files no ok (you receive, but you can't confirm reception od the incoming item)
Handsfree OK
Tethering no ok
Sd card no ok (Is detected by pc but not accessible)
wifi ok

Personal bug:
Clock app fc's all the time, so I can't configure alarm, etc...

I have installed coming from Engle's 10.2 without wipes, so, I have fixed it
by erasin clock app data.

What I miss:

Google Now Activity at the left of the homescreen.
Working emoji and swipe keyboard

To know:
It still uses kernel 2.6.32.9 (3.0.8 is out) and 2.6.0 TWRP (2.6.3 is out)

And maybe Engle_Mars has to change text on updaterscript, because
when you finish installing the rom it says:
"Finished Installing JellyBean for ME722, Enjoy!" instead of
"Finished Installing KitKat for ME722, Enjoy!"

Very good work. Congratulations Mr. Engle_mars

Last edited:

rkrisi

Jun 11, 2012
I have been using the rom for a while and I can say It is stable for daily use.

Mobile data ok
Play store ok
gps ok
calls ok (And you can record them with AutoCallRecorder)
No chinesse characters at all
sms ok
camera ok (as told by Engle_Mars)

If you try to use lgcamera the previeww is a horrible split screen, but
photo and videos are taken fine.

Bluetooth Send files ok
Receive files no ok (you receive, but you can't confirm reception od the incoming item)
Handsfree unknown (I will see it on weekend)
Tethering no ok
Sd card no ok (Is detected by pc but not accessible)
wifi ok

Personal bug:
Clock app fc's all the time, so I can't configure alarm, etc...

I have installed coming from Engle's 10.2 without wipes, so, I have fixed it
by erasin clock app data.

What I miss:

Google Now Activity at the left of the homescreen.
Working emoji and swipe keyboard

To know:
It still uses kernel 2.6.32.9 (3.0.8 is out) and 2.6.0 TWRP (2.6.3 is out)

And maybe Engle_Mars has to change text on updaterscript, because
when you finish installing the rom it says:
"Finished Installing JellyBean for ME722, Enjoy!" instead of
"Finished Installing KitKat for ME722, Enjoy!"

Very good work. Congratulations Mr. Engle_mars

and how about the advantages of CM? Because it is an AOSP rom.. call blocking, ota update, etc?

czechop

Aug 21, 2012
@Engle_Mars

Regarding camera colors...if they are mixed during preview, then changinig in the cameraHal.cpp@Yuv422iToYV12 lines:
*udest++ = src[1];
*vdest++ = src[3];

to

*udest++ = src[3];
*vdest++ = src[1];

should do the trick:)

PS: Good to see you back:)

rkrisi

Jun 11, 2012
I have installed this rom, but lots of settings missing, which is very good in cyanogenmod... Anyway the performance is very good

qubbey

Feb 5, 2012
I think it's amazing how smooth the system is running.

A few Bugs/Issues I found:
- The taskbar isn't transparent (I don't care)
- When pressing the menubutton or long pressing the homescreen, so the wallpapers and widgetsbuttons appear, the settingsbutton has no effect.
- In the settings there is no button for system and launcher.
- changing the physical keyboard to QWERTZ has no effect.
- the bootanimation is boring ;) but it boots fast
- Pressing the camera button doesn't start the camera

I didn't do a lot of testing, but wow, great work, faster than stock GB.

Kootee83

Jun 25, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S7
Could anyone mirror it on other server please. I still can't download from yunpan.cn, it downloads only 506kB and breaks connection.
-- Edit
Ok, I've found a solution. For some reason Firefox didnt want to download it, but it seems Download Manager downloads without problems (low bitrate, but works).

Last edited:
Reactions: arielo182

Engle_Mars

Oct 2, 2012
@Engle_Mars

Regarding camera colors...if they are mixed during preview, then changinig in the cameraHal.cpp@Yuv422iToYV12 lines:
*udest++ = src[1];
*vdest++ = src[3];

to

*udest++ = src[3];
*vdest++ = src[1];

should do the trick:)

PS: Good to see you back:)

czechop, my problem is not camera preview. My problem is video play, the red and blue color is incorrect. Thank you for your help.

Reactions: r3daxis

Fedroid

Jan 19, 2011
Barcelona
Moto G
Huawei P8lite/P8 Lite
I think it's amazing how smooth the system is running.

A few Bugs/Issues I found:
- The taskbar isn't transparent (I don't care)
- When pressing the menubutton or long pressing the homescreen, so the wallpapers and widgetsbuttons appear, the settingsbutton has no effect.
- In the settings there is no button for system and launcher.
- changing the physical keyboard to QWERTZ has no effect.
- the bootanimation is boring ;) but it boots fast
- Pressing the camera button doesn't start the camera

I didn't do a lot of testing, but wow, great work, faster than stock GB.

I have not noticed more system speed or better battery management than Engles' Cm 10.2 but I have more free ram and other thing...
Bluetooth handsfree device works fine!!!! and if you have Autocallrecoreder installed it also records bluetooth calls!!! Awesome!!!!:laugh:

For being a first release is very good and for me is for daily use. I also miss some improvements of cm but nobody is perfect... I think is good to see Engle_Mars working on AOSP and Czechop working on CM11 so, you have plenty of choice, haven't you?

For those who want some cm apks they can download CyanogenMod App Installer from Google play. The app has the funcionality to download apks and resources from a remote server to your device, and install them as system applications, so you could have:
-Apollo
-Calculator
-Cm file manager
-Torch
-Messaging
-Dsp Equalizer
-Voice+
-News+Weather widget

If you miss notification bar toggles use Notification Toggle.apk from market

Best regards

Engle_Mars

Oct 2, 2012
I have not noticed more system speed or better battery management than Engles' Cm 10.2 but I have more free ram and other thing...
Bluetooth handsfree device works fine!!!! and if you have Autocallrecoreder installed it also records bluetooth calls!!! Awesome!!!!:laugh:

For being a first release is very good and for me is for daily use. I also miss some improvements of cm but nobody is perfect... I think is good to see Engle_Mars working on AOSP and Czechop working on CM11 so, you have plenty of choice, haven't you?

For those who want some cm apks they can download CyanogenMod App Installer from Google play. The app has the funcionality to download apks and resources from a remote server to your device, and install them as system applications, so you could have:
-Apollo
-Calculator
-Cm file manager
-Torch
-Messaging
-Dsp Equalizer
-Voice+
-News+Weather widget

Best regards

For my global is supply original and stable Google System for Milestone2. The system should care about system should do. Other thing just let the application to do and it will do better than ROM. I develop the ROM base on AOSP have two reasons. 1. Decrease the work when upgrade to new system. CM add more and more code that we never have chance to use, this is because our old hardware, for example NFC, FM, HDMI, Multiple SM etc. 2. Some application can do better by integrate in system. The other good thing is czechop and Quarx2K still develop base on CM (new kernel, if it's stable enough, I will merge). If there is any good features of CM that I interest, I will merge it. But now, only the LTO need I merge and I have done. It will include in next version.

rabinhood

Feb 16, 2009
Katowice
Guys, please, could somebody who has already downloaded the ROM, upload it to some other server? It is nearly impossible to download from 360 server. Connection is dropped after a minute or so, and transfer speeds are about 1-2 kB/s. Using download manager doesn't make a difference.

qubbey

Feb 5, 2012
Guys, please, could somebody who has already downloaded the ROM, upload it to some other server? It is nearly impossible to download from 360 server. Connection is dropped after a minute or so, and transfer speeds are about 1-2 kB/s. Using download manager doesn't make a difference.

If Engle_Mars doesn't mind I will upload it to a OneClickHoster and post the link here.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    KitKat for Motorola Milestone 2 (Android 4.4)

Introduction
    I am a android fan and I like it very much (I came from Chinese). I have ported this rom for my ME722 (Milestone 2 China version) and the project is open source. The rom has some nice advancements. I would like you to try my rom and send bugreports to me. I'm a Java / C++ programmer, but i'm not good at hardware therefor some bugs I can't fix. I have submitted some patches for the CM official, but if you can supply patches for this it will be ok. The rom is world wide language support.

(In order to get more effect battery control, I suggest you use my develop screen brightness controller application. You can download from
    Cubby: https://www.cubby.com/pl/BrightnessAdjuster.apk/_f4f78b01abe543ea82fc7a910473f8df
    360: http://yunpan.cn/QpfwUG3uFAmxu
    Amazon Store http://www.amazon.com/x8881-x6E05-x...F8&qid=1391848181&sr=1-26&keywords=brightness
    Please help to click the AD in the application to support me, thanks. Last update on 2014-01-30)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ROM Download Server (The url is my network disk share folder, you can get the all version from here)
    360 : http://yunpan.cn/QXcbILcSfm4Rk (Access password:1396)
    cubby: https://www.cubby.com/pl/Engle_Mars-4.4.2-20140328.zip/_6b5ecb4b600c41bca87d598e7c435cc9

Please help to make mirror download server. All network disk thit is not locale in Chinese is too slow to upload for some know reason.

file: Engle_Mars-4.4.2-20140328.zip
    md5: 6db1259c3a22f6970c833384f90d2706

Donations
    If you like and appreciate my work, and you may donate in the following ways.

1. My PayPal account: yuanqingyun@gmail.com

2. Taobao (now in Chinese). The following is the donate two-dimensional code
    91CC7A0B789125B9A5236ROM_zps9b8b2d86.png

FAQ

1. The media scan eat up my battery.
    The major problem is the SD card has too many files to scan. You can create empty file that is named '.noscanandnomtp' under the folders that you need not to scan. To me, I add this empty file in all folders under the root folder of SD card, except the folder "DICM", 'Audios', "Noticifitions", "Alerm". After do the previous steps, you can find the system speed will very quick and no more battery usage.

2. I can not send SMS.
    The problem is happen when you upgrade from other ROM. The SMSC is incorrect make such problem. Please refer to the following page to try to resolve it. http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/SMSC_Updates.

3. How can I enable ART
    3.1 First, please enter development module. Settings->About Phone->Click the 'Build number' item in seven time. It will show 'Developer options'
    3.2 Settings->Developer options->Select runtime, click the item Use ART. Restart your phone is OK.

4. If enable ART cannot enter system how to resolve it.
    4.1. WIPE.
    4.2. Use adb to connect your phone by following command to set back dalvik and keep all your data
    adb shell setprop persist.sys.dalvik.vm.lib libdvm.so

I want to trim some language support, please tell me what's your langage usage. Because the system partition is too small to fit for bigger and bigger system

Changelog & History
    2014-03-28
    1. WiFi Tether can work。
    2. Fix USB Tether crash problem,still has bug for USB Tether, but it can work now.
    You have to push&plus the USB cable and click the share in twice。
    3. Fix the incall UI show slow problem.

2014-01-29
    1. Fix the battery drain (kernel problem) for standby phone.
    2. Add support send any file as attachment in email.
    3. Add long press return to kill application function.
    4. Release ROM use APK, not use ODEX for no more system space problem.

2013-12-27
    1. Fix can't preview in camera panorama module.
    2. Fix some camera application (for example Weixin) preview show split screen.
    3. Add LTO service work on system startup.
    4. Enable 720p and 480p record in Camera.
    5. Port some CM bugs (resource leak and null pointer) fix.
    6. Add ability to kill package process to avoid cannot share sdcard (Some application (Such as Weixin) has problem will not release the handle for sdcard after system fire unmout signal, so have to kill the whole package process and service that is belong to the package when umount sdcard. )

2013-12-12

1. Initialize version for KitKat 4.4.2.
    1.1 567ea11 Fix OOBE crash/DoS after receiving 0-byte WAP push.
    1.2 3574026 Reduce logging of flattened Preferences
    1.3 d00f7cd Android denial of service attack using class 0 SMS messages
    1.4 37f06a4 Put fragment in specific activity's whitelist

2. Add delay send MMS.

Know issue:

When upgrade system applications may restart the GUI at least twice.

2013-12-06
    1. Initialize version for 4.4.1.
    2. Fix the VPN cannot connect problem.

Know issue
    1. The upgrade GUI will restart at least twice, but not effect upgrade and usage.

2013-12-04

1. Fix bluetooth cannot receive file.
    2. Fix cannot network location.
    3. Add performance settings in Milestone2 Part.
    4. Add KSM support in ART.
    5. Merge git://codeaurora.org/platform/dalvik branch 'kk_2.7_rb1.11'.
    6. Synchorize CMFileManager code to 2013-12-03.
    7. Add language to support Franch, Hungarian and Netherlands.
    8. Fix no default APN.

2013-11-28

1. Fix the video playing color problem.
    2. Fix click the setting in launcher no reponse.
    3. Fix cannot share SD card by USB.
    4. Add Long Term Orbits (LTO) support.
    5. Enable KitKat builtin privacy management (settings->security->application operations).
    6. Add OTA support.
    7. Trim all languages except Chinese, English, Brazil, Spanish, Polish and Italy.
    8. Trim the Japanese Pinyin input.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2013-11-26
    1. Initialize version. (Enjoy)
    2. Camera can work normal. But the decoder has green/pink color problem. If you put the record file in PC, it can show normal.
    3. Bluetooth can work in phone and receive file, but cannot receive file.
    4. Integrate GMS 4.3, ART can work normal.

Know Issues
    5. GMS 4.4 (Form XDA) use newest dex format, so ART cannot reconize it and pass complie. Not use the 4.4 GMS if you enable ART, it will block your phone to start. The system intergate with 4.3 it can pass ART. You can update all Google applications, such G+, from play store. It can work normal.

Project main page (The source branch is KitKat)
    https://sourceforge.net/p/me722-cm/

My Contact:
    QQ: 122880146
    Yahoo: engle_mars
    MSN: mars_engle
    email: Yuanqingyun@gmail.com
    Hi,

Thanks for your work!

Please add the Brazilian Portuguese (Pt-BR) language if it´s possible.

Regards.
    I can go from rom 2.3.6 VIVO LATAM, straight AOSP 4.4?

* a friend of mine wants to know!

No, First need upgrade to CM10.1, then TO KitKat 4.4.1, the BCM cannot reconigze the new version ROM.
    Fedroid, thanks but result is same. 6mb and cut.... please someone reup to another cloud.
    https://mega.co.nz/#!BUBhnICR!ZLzTUSNKgjnpLAl5JYFWCXreIiJBDz2t8HVC0Rz8IsQ
    check md5 sum from first post.

Just found it strange that I can not add screens (only havê one home screen), I do not know if I havê to reset it to work (screens) ...
    When dragging a widget or a shortcut to the right edge of the screen a new screen will be created, when a screen is empty it will be deleted

-Apollo
    -Calculator
    -Cm file manager
    -Torch
    -Messaging
    -Dsp Equalizer
    -Voice+
    -News+Weather widget

Best regards

For my global is supply original and stable Google System for Milestone2. The system should care about system should do. Other thing just let the application to do and it will do better than ROM. I develop the ROM base on AOSP have two reasons. 1. Decrease the work when upgrade to new system. CM add more and more code that we never have chance to use, this is because our old hardware, for example NFC, FM, HDMI, Multiple SM etc. 2. Some application can do better by integrate in system. The other good thing is czechop and Quarx2K still develop base on CM (new kernel, if it's stable enough, I will merge). If there is any good features of CM that I interest, I will merge it. But now, only the LTO need I merge and I have done. It will include in next version.