EK-GC120 Verizon Update

Search This thread

Jiggity Janx

Feb 19, 2010
Look at the number of developers who have left xda butt-hurt about some comment a nameless, faceless text blob made about them because of how they read it. The device suffers, the users suffer, and some kid is up in his room crying about a hobby gone wrong.

As for the rollback, it was only theory anyway so if there is any doubt about what to change its better to find an alternative. If you could get images of the partitions from stock condition, it is possible to build the install. At least that is all done off the device where it won't corrupt anything. You could root, get the system, data, cache, and boot then merge those with the Korean release to fill in the missing parts. To the best of my knowledge, the bootloader and such are not region specific. That should be verified first, though, because you can't go back later.
Rolling back the build.prop to see if it would download the update was a good thought. I am willing to try it once I get the device I will end up keeping. Need those values though and I don't know if anyone posted them in this forum. I came across some on the net in my search to find other models like this one but don't know if they would be helpful.

Mentioned to EVA it would be helpful if one of you more knowledgeable folks could write up the dd command line for adb once to make sure I have it right then list below it the adjustments I need to make for the partitions and resulting .img name. Just didn't have time yet to pull those together and check to make sure I pull something usable. Also I seem to have lost odin access to the camera I am returning but still have adb access while in the recovery. When I polled for partitions though it only gave me /dev and /system. Maybe you know what's up with that?

Merging those files with the Korean release was what I was aiming for when I mentioned the similarity. I wouldn't know particularly how to accomplish that and it may be quite a bit of work so likely a last resort. My concern with the bootloader would be whether or not Verizon locked their bootloader. This is using the Exynos 4412 like the Verizon GN2 with updates that locked their booloaders around the same time.

Rolling back the build.prop to see if it would download the update was a good thought. I am willing to try it once I get the device I will end up keeping. Need those values though and I don't know if anyone posted them in this forum. I came across some on the net in my search to find other models like this one but don't know if they would be helpful.

Mentioned to EVA it would be helpful if one of you more knowledgeable folks could write up the dd command line for adb once to make sure I have it right then list below it the adjustments I need to make for the partitions and resulting .img name. Just didn't have time yet to pull those together and check to make sure I pull something usable. Also I seem to have lost odin access to the camera I am returning but still have adb access while in the recovery. When I polled for partitions though it only gave me /dev and /system. Maybe you know what's up with that?

Merging those files with the Korean release was what I was aiming for when I mentioned the similarity. I wouldn't know particularly how to accomplish that and it may be quite a bit of work so likely a last resort. My concern with the bootloader would be whether or not Verizon locked their bootloader. This is using the Exynos 4412 like the Verizon GN2 with updates that locked their booloaders around the same time.

dd if=exact/path/or/partition/of/source of=exact/path/of/output

I can post the partition paths a little later, but you will want to write to extSdCard not sdcard0 or you'll run out of space fast.

If you have dev and system it sounds like the system partition mounted, but there is an issue with the boot. You should also have /sbin and /proc

I believe the Odin OTA is just a collection of md5 signed images in a tar with a signature file. All the modifying needed would really be just changing the signature file to match the new md5 values and putting them all together. I will have to look what all comes in the Odin archive before I can say what is needed, but the only one that would be any trouble is a radio image.

Jiggity Janx

Feb 19, 2010
Great. Thanks. Was just about to sit down and *hopefully* pull these.

Also the 'new' gc120 I received was purchased from a different source but appears to come from the same 'warehouse' so I have the same problem. It looks as though they get in the camera and load a verizon demo model img they somehow got. Looks like this is how they are updating the cameras before sending them out.

I hope everyone else that receives one of these returns it for full refund and shipping costs like I am.

Great. Thanks. Was just about to sit down and *hopefully* pull these.

Also the 'new' gc120 I received was purchased from a different source but appears to come from the same 'warehouse' so I have the same problem. It looks as though they get in the camera and load a verizon demo model img they somehow got. Looks like this is how they are updating the cameras before sending them out.

I hope everyone else that receives one of these returns it for full refund and shipping costs like I am.

It can't be disabled? I got my Apple TV in "demo mode" and it was a menu option you had to disable. It was because store staff is usually lazier than owners and wouldn't turn it on unless it was the preset.

Jiggity Janx

Feb 19, 2010
This one appears to be a different build with a .02 at the end of the build number and the words PRE EMP in the version.

It likely can be disabled if I edit a bunch of atuff or .bak the vzw demo install system apk but I dont want to start with a device that way.

E:V:A

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 6, 2011
-∇ϕ

If that is really the partition table, it seem that it would confirm that the EK-GC120 is an Exynos based device. This is bad, from a HW developer point of view, since we have very little available info on this chip including the accompanying modem chipset, which is likely the Intel XMM6360... This means no LTE telephony...

But please feel free to post a more complete partition layout, by running the tools mentioned in my signature. (You need to be rooted.)

Jiggity Janx

Feb 19, 2010
dd if=exact/path/or/partition/of/source of=exact/path/of/output

I can post the partition paths a little later, but you will want to write to extSdCard not sdcard0 or you'll run out of space fast.

If you have dev and system it sounds like the system partition mounted, but there is an issue with the boot. You should also have /sbin and /proc

I believe the Odin OTA is just a collection of md5 signed images in a tar with a signature file. All the modifying needed would really be just changing the signature file to match the new md5 values and putting them all together. I will have to look what all comes in the Odin archive before I can say what is needed, but the only one that would be any trouble is a radio image.
Should be getting another another another Verizon GC120 in the mail shortly so will hopefully pick back up where we left off...

EDIT: The new (to me) camera I received is still on the 4.1.2 firmware. So I should be able to pull those partitions before the update and provide the update.

Last edited:

nuke072786

Jul 30, 2008
I've been trying to figure out how to root my EK-GC120 that has already been updated to android 4.1.2. It seems the best route would have been to root the device on 4.1.1 before updating to 4.1.2 and keeping root through the update. Since I failed to do this, is there an ODIN image of the 4.1.1 image?

Through reading the thread it appears not...

So in summary am I sunk, I cannot root? I am not using a sim card in this device. Should I try flashing an EK-GC100 4.1.1 image to the device and rooting? I feel like this would be a risky route to go....

Jiggity Janx

Feb 19, 2010
I've been trying to figure out how to root my EK-GC120 that has already been updated to android 4.1.2. It seems the best route would have been to root the device on 4.1.1 before updating to 4.1.2 and keeping root through the update. Since I failed to do this, is there an ODIN image of the 4.1.1 image?

Through reading the thread it appears not...

So in summary am I sunk, I cannot root? I am not using a sim card in this device. Should I try flashing an EK-GC100 4.1.1 image to the device and rooting? I feel like this would be a risky route to go....
So maybe I screwed myself updating all the way to MK4 update. Can't root using framaroot now like I did with all the others. Gonna try a few other options.
I did not come across anything that would indicate 4.1.2 could be rooted. But keep looking...

BTW I dont think you can downgrade the 4.1.2 bootloader to 4.1.1 or lower without perma brick
*because I believe 4.1.2 update is right when samsung started locking bootloaders

Last edited:

TroyLeeWells

Oct 23, 2013
I did not come across anything that would indicate 4.1.2 could be rooted. But keep looking...

BTW I dont think you can downgrade the 4.1.2 bootloader to 4.1.1 or lower without perma brick
*because I believe 4.1.2 update is right when samsung started locking bootloaders

I know it has been a while but I was able to root my ek-cgc120 (vzw) by using Kango root.

It had a hard time detecting my phone for the longest time but I kept going into Device manager on my PC and making sure all the drivers were showing as good.

After a while it showed and I was able to root with no issues.

Kango is a fickle lover...

Good luck!

If that is really the partition table, it seem that it would confirm that the EK-GC120 is an Exynos based device. This is bad, from a HW developer point of view, since we have very little available info on this chip including the accompanying modem chipset, which is likely the Intel XMM6360... This means no LTE telephony...

But please feel free to post a more complete partition layout, by running the tools mentioned in my signature. (You need to be rooted.)

I just noticed this post but still don't have time to sift through all of the links to find which tool for the device I don't actually have you are referring to. Thanks for the invitation, though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hidesquadron1

Feb 15, 2008
Pittsburgh
totally worked!

I know it has been a while but I was able to root my ek-cgc120 (vzw) by using Kango root.

Good luck!

I can confirm that Kingo (I think you spelled it wrong :p) works like a charm on the latest official EK-CGC 120 software. (4.1.2 I believe).

Been sitting on this device unrooted for months now and the weight has finally been lifted. Very happy to at least have root access. IF anyone has some direction on custom roms/recovery for the verizon version, I'd be most grateful. Searching other threads hasn't been very helpful so far. Will I have to use special versions of custom recovery on the verizon model, or can I use the others listed here (roms as well. I'd like to get some lightweight rom on here if possible).

Thanks to Troy for the heads up. So happy this worked!

TroyLeeWells

Oct 23, 2013
Ha...I never even looked...I thought it was a play on kangaroo. ..

:)

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Free mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Anyone still have the boot.img for the latest verizon? Even the full update will work to extract it. This is the only missing piece to extending the custom kernel to all variants.