[Q] Does you phone charge directly from your car USB port?

Search This thread

JoeSchmoe007

Mar 4, 2011
By "directly" I mean using regular USB data cable (most likely USB->Micro USB) and NOT special charge only cable that has data pin shortened to draw higher current.

The reason for this post is that I found that my new phone (Moto X) doesn't charge when connected directly via regular data USB cable even though charging indicator is on. When idle it still loses several %/ hour, when running Google maps - much more.

After Googling I found that if the phone is connected as USB media device it draws less power from USB and it may not be sufficient to charge phones with high capacity batteries. Workarounds include using charge-only USB cables that have data pins shorted, cigarette lighter chargers or AC charger if your car is equipped with AC socket (mine is, but what a pain to have to use it for this!).

Here is my situation on '11 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 430N (2 USB ports, Android phones are recognized as media device on both):

Old phone (Droid Incredible, 1300 mAh battery) charged fine when idle via regular data cable even though it was in media player mode. I haven't really used it when running Google Maps much so can't comment on that.

New phone (Moto X, 2200 mAh battery) doesn't charge via regular data cable (even though indicator shows phone charging). When idle it still loses several %/ hour, when running Google maps - much more. I tried 500 mA cigarette lighter charger and it charges it fine in idle, haven't tried while running Google Maps yet.

scottjb

Sep 11, 2010
Greensboro, NC
My Moto X does not charge from the USB port in my Acura. I use a USB adapter in the cigarette lighter if I need to charge it.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

aviwdoowks

Sep 18, 2012

someguyatx

Feb 7, 2012
Louisville
Yes all phones charge in my Hyundai but very slowly since its only a regular USB port not a charging port. I use a Griffin dual USB charger instead.

Sent from my Sero 7 Pro using Tapatalk

The Tallest

Jul 25, 2013
My wife's X does not charge via her aftermarket stereo in her Subaru. I have not tried it in my F-150 though.

KidJoe

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 23, 2008
Thorndale/Romansville, PA
Standard USB ports in a PC supply 5V and 550mA which is not enough to charge current smart phones. If you are using apps, 550mA is not enough to maintain the charge level (i..e if you have 90% charge, plug into a standard USB port, and use Google Maps or stream a movie from the internet, your battery's charge will slowly drain. Not as fast as when unplugged, but it will drain).

The X ships with a 1150A adapter. I've used 850mA to slowly charge the phone.

I've not metered the voltage and current coming out of my car's USB port.

I use a dual port USB charger that outputs 2.1A per port. (its either Griffin or Kensington)

arjag

Sep 9, 2011
Adelaide
I stumbled across this issue when I tried to charge my X in the car. I have an old nokia car charger (had nice thick writes and curly cord) that I cut the plug off and soldered a micro usb plug and a resistor between pin 5 and ground for activating car mode on my SGS2 (i9100). I plugged in the X, nothing. I did some research and found that shorting D+ and D- puts it into AC fast charge mode. Charges fine with the screen on. Luckily the old nokia charger has enough grunt to cope.

swyped from my JB GT-N8000 with TapatalkPRO

PowerTools

Mar 24, 2008
Yep

Interesting. Mine does charge via the USB cable on my aftermarket head unit, but it is fairly slow. All I care is that it doesn't drain the battery at all for 4 hours car trips while streaming music and running Google Maps with the screen on the entire time.

arjag

Sep 9, 2011
Adelaide
mine slowly/medium charges with MyLog and CarHome Ultra or Nav.

I have a magnet and SkipDot in my car dock to auto unlock and trigger car mode which launches CarHome Ultra. I use Llama to further trigger and enable bluetooth and gps as well as disable WiFi. bluetooth connecting to my JVC head unit triggers My Log and automatically logs journeys for tax. Llama cleans up and turns of gps/bt which causes MyLog to finish too.

swyped from my MOTO XT1053 with tapatalkPRO