[Q] Ubuntu on Surface RT using Bochs

Search This thread
G

GuestD0956

Someone ported Bochs (x86 PC Emulator) to the Surface (h t t p://w w w.windows-arm.c o m/index.p h p/desktop-apps-for-windows-rt/697-bochs-for-windows-rt), and I want to know how to set up Ubuntu 12.10 with it.

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
An old-enough version of either Windows or Linux (or any other OS that runs on x86) will work, but I don't think you realize how slow we're talking about. It's not that you *couldn't* run 12.10 (or the decade-older XP), it's just that they'd be too slow to be of any use. You'll be much better off using native-ported apps, or even Mamaich's emulation layer; unlike emulating a full PC using Bochs, the emu layer only has to translate the program's code; most of its work can be done by native (ARM) Windows code and there's no need to emulate an entire x86 processor (with memory management and so on). Even so, the emu layer struggles with anything newer than about a decade old...

Sent from my Samsung ATIV S SGH-T899M using XDA Windows Phone 7 App

Last edited:
Reactions: syn3h
G

GuestD0956

An old-enough version of either Windows or Linux (or any other OS that runs on x86) will work, but I don't think you realize how slow we're talking about. It's not that you *couldn't* run 12.10 (or the decade-older XP), it's just that they'd be too slow to be of any use. You'll be much better off using native-ported apps, or even Mamaich's emulation layer; unlike emulating a full PC using Bochs, the emu layer only has to translate the program's code; most of its work can be done by native (ARM) Windows code and there's no need to emulate an entire x86 processor (with memory management and so on). Even so, the emu layer struggles with anything newer than about a decade old...

Aw, man. Oh, well. Guess no Ubuntu any time soon.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.