3A charger for the Z2

Search This thread

KyleSforza

Mar 9, 2013
Delhi
www.facebook.com
hmm... I may look into this as well then....

Faster charging can't ever hurt can it!

Li-ion batteries are smart, so are the chargers. If possible check reviews about whichever 3A charger you pick first. Battery won't get damaged because the chip they use will prevent charges heavier than they accept. Its all about if anyone's willing to spend the extra money to perform this experiment and see if the charger will actually make a real world difference in charge time or not.

Petter88

Nov 20, 2009
I assume a 3300 mAh battery would take 1.1h (3.3/3).

It's actually not that easy, usually a battery charges to 80% in half the charging time and to 80% out of that 80 in a quarter of the charge time. Guess what I'm trying to say is that charging is not linear, meaning the equation is more complicated

Sent from my D6503 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Haldi4803

and here in Pictures:
chargetimesm.png

source: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7903/samsung-galaxy-s-5-review/5

Xajel

Mar 2, 2011
Bahrain
Faster you charge lithium batteries, you reduce the number of charge cycles. I'd rather charge it slower, especially because you can't change the battery.
True,

I have multiple chargers, in the car I have 1.2A (Sony original car charger), in work I have 2.0A ( Samsung original charger )... but near the bed I have 0.35A (Sony bluetooth headphone charger)... while sleeping I don't need fast charging so I went for the lowest possible power...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Then why don't we have 3A chargers sent with the phone and the "Charge your phone in only 60 minutes" Feature ?

Ask Sony ;)
    Hi Friend!
    Yes. :(

---------- Post added at 04:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:26 AM ----------

EP880 1.5A!

I live in Brazil, but bought in another country. In Brazil is EP800 with 0.8A, right ?

Hi Friend.
    Yes. :(
    Xperia Z2 charging time

EP880 1.5A!

I live in Brazil, but bought in another country. In Brazil is EP800 with 0.8A, right ?

Yes, that's right. Xperia Z2 D6543 made in Brazil comes with the EP800 charger, 850mA. I guess it must be to reduce costs, as this charger is manufactured locally too. But it's a shame to include this charger in the box with a 3200mA device. I had an Xperia Arc made in Brazil too which comes with the same EP800 850mA charger, but it's battery capacity is only 1500mA. Fortunately, I owned a Xperia Z (imported, cause in Brazil Sony sold only ZQ model) before the Z2 and it came with EP880 1500mA charger.

In my tests, it seems to charge 30% per hour, while the EP800 23% per hour. (battery between 20% and 80%). I was expecting the EP800 to be much slower than that.

Accordingly to phone arena ( http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Sony-Xperia-Z2-Review_id3695/page/4) xperia z2 full charge time is 212 minutes, 3h32min. Samsung Galaxy S5 charges it's 2800mA battery in 122 minutes (2h02min) 1h30min less then Z2 to perform a full charge. Although s5 battery has 15% less capacity compared to Z2, that not the only reason why it charges faster. If we divide mA per minute, s5 charges 23mA per minute while Z2 would charge only 15mA per minute. So it means S5 is 54% faster. We also have to consider that Samsung charger output power is 2A, 34% more powerful than Z2 1,5A. Maybe the quick charge 2.0 technology explains that difference. I'm wondering if that Samsung charger would charge Z2 faster or if it's limited to maximum 1,5A and it would have no difference....
    A little summary, But is QC2.0 - 3A

Has anyone managed to get close to 3A charge rate? the highest i can get to is 2.1A when measured. That is using a data/ power cable FRiEQ, If i use a just power/ charge cable i can just about get to 2A. The sony cable i got with the phone bombs out at much lower.

First off, how much power a phone pulls is up to the phone. If I have a 5A charger connected, it doesn't mean that the phone is going to have 5A shoved in to it. The key word is PULL. The phone is the load and it pulls the power. So if the onboard charging circuit on the phone says I can pull 3A and the charger is delivering 3A then great. Also generally the a 'smart' circuit will not try to pull more than the charger is delivering (so unlikely the cable / charger will burn up)

Second, Generally speaking charging a LiPo battery means generating heat. Charging it faster means generating more heat. LiPo battery efficiency and life is affected negatively when heated up. batteryuniversity is a wealth of knowledge for this kind of stuff.

Third, You can get one of these to actually check the Amp flow in real time over USB. It's awesome and it works.
    [Edit. Unfortunatley I'm new and can't post links - but go to aliexpress and search for 'usb+amperemeter']

Fourth, Qualcomm spec for QC 2.0 is being highlighted by a bunch of phone manufacturers now - Moto X (2nd Gen) being one of them. To settle the debate up here:
    [Edit. can't post links :(, so remove the spaces..
    www . qualcomm . com/products/snapdragon/devices/all?manufacturer=Sony
    Clearly Sony Z2 has QC 2.0.

BUT does anyone know what the QC 2.0 means? Is QC 2.0 the same as a 3A current?? Im loosing my mind, because QC2.0 charger are 60 dollars and more, while i can get a reasonable 3A output charger (from single USB) for much much less..

Is QC2.0 the same as a 3A output USB charger?