Steps to Downgrade to 4.0.1? GSM

Search This thread

ksc6000

Apr 28, 2010
While most people are loving the 4.0.2 update, I'm very disappointed. My battery life has gotten significantly worse, with the exact same usage patterns. No new apps or widgets installed.

I have unlocked my bootloader successfully. I've read through this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1419170 but it feels like they're not talking about the stock images here http://code.google.com/android/nexus/images.html , and are rather talking about the incremental updates.

I have the file that I want (ITL41F) downloaded. Can anyone post some step by step for me to install it and change my build.prop so that I stop getting that update notification?

Last edited:

krohnjw

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 17, 2007
Plainfield
While most people are loving the 4.0.2 update, I'm very disappointed. My battery life has gotten significantly worse, with the exact same usage patterns. No new apps or widgets installed.

I have unlocked my bootloader successfully. I've read through this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1419170 but it feels like they're not talking about the stock images here http://code.google.com/android/nexus/images.html , and are rather talking about the incremental updates.

I have the file that I want (ITL41F) downloaded. Can anyone post some step by step for me to install it?

Download the factory image.

Extract it

Open the script and run each fastboot command manually. Omit the -w flag on the last one unless you explicitly want to wipe.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

ksc6000

Apr 28, 2010
Thank you. Can anyone show me how to change the build prop properly so that I can stop getting the update message?

Last edited:

zeekiz

May 9, 2011
Western Australia
build.prop is in the system partition, which as an unrooted user, you will not have the necessary permissions in order to alter it.

ps.
Code:
fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-maguro-...
fastboot reboot-bootloader
fastboot flash radio radio-maguro-...
fastboot -w update image-yakju...

Last edited:

ksc6000

Apr 28, 2010
build.prop is in the system partition, which as an unrooted user, you will not have the necessary permissions in order to alter it.

ps.
Code:
fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-maguro-...
fastboot flash radio radio-maguro-...
fastboot -w update image-yakju...

Thank you, I'm going to root to do it. After I do so, can you tell me how to edit the build prop appropriately?

martonikaj

Nov 20, 2010
Seattle, WA
Maybe I'm missing something here.. but if you're not happy with 4.0.2 and you're willing to go through the trouble of going back to 4.0.1, why not just flash 4.0.3?

Are you REALLY going to just stay on 4.0.1 for the rest of your time with the phone and never update?

ksc6000

Apr 28, 2010
Maybe I'm missing something here.. but if you're not happy with 4.0.2 and you're willing to go through the trouble of going back to 4.0.1, why not just flash 4.0.3?

Are you REALLY going to just stay on 4.0.1 for the rest of your time with the phone and never update?

It's my understanding that 4.0.3 is AOSP and is compiled into some custom ROMs....I want to stay as stock as possible...once 4.0.3 official is rolling out, I'll let it upgrade. Can you help me put the proper things I need in the build.prop to stop getting the update?

zephiK

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 23, 2009
New York, NY
It's my understanding that 4.0.3 is AOSP and is compiled into some custom ROMs....I want to stay as stock as possible...once 4.0.3 official is rolling out, I'll let it upgrade. Can you help me put the proper things I need in the build.prop to stop getting the update?

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1446341
There are many ROMs out there that "stay as stock as possible" with a few tweaks because it is a necessity.

ksc6000

Apr 28, 2010
So I used root explorer to replace the build.prop in the system directory with the one from that custom ROM linked to above...shouldn't that have done it? I am still getting the update message.

efrant

Retired Senior Moderator & Developers Relations
Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
Samsung Galaxy S20
Thank you, I'm going to root to do it. After I do so, can you tell me how to edit the build prop appropriately?

Once you have flashed back to ITL41F, you need to edit the line in the build.prop file that starts with ro.build.fingerprint. Change it to this:

ro.build.fingerprint=google/yakju/maguro:4.0.2/ICL53F/235179:user/release-keys

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

ksc6000

Apr 28, 2010
Thank you very much efrant. How would I have found this on my own if I had to so I know for future reference?

efrant

Retired Senior Moderator & Developers Relations
Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
Samsung Galaxy S20
Thank you very much efrant. How would I have found this on my own if I had to so I know for future reference?

What I posted is the ro.build.fingerprint for ICL53F. (I got it by looking at my build.prop file.) By changing yours to match mine, it will appear to Google that you are running ICL53F, and not ITL41F.

When you see that people are getting the next update (4.0.3 I suppose), you will need to change this back to what it was for ITL41F before you update anything OTA -- when you do, it should either update you to 4.0.2 then 4.0.3 or 4.0.3 directly. But it is important not to do the update to 4.0.3 when you are running 4.0.1 and having 4.0.2 in the build.prop.

ksc6000

Apr 28, 2010
Thank you. I saved a copy of the build.prop before I changed the fingerprint, so that I can update properly when 4.0.3 comes out.
I really appreciate your help.