Another Root Question

Search This thread

blueice5249

Jun 29, 2010
I got the Moto X a couple weeks ago for VZW. I'd like to root the Moto X, because..tether :D. Witht he 4.4.2 update around the corner, should I root now or wait? I don't on putting any custom ROMS on there, so I'd like the most updated Stock ROM. But I'm sure that's not rooted yet. Also, how hard is it to root the X? If it's that hard and easy to brick the phone, I may just hold off. Thanks guys.

natezire71

Mar 24, 2010
As far as we know of, it's impossible to root the latest OTA. 4.4.2 changed bootloaders. It's going to require a whole new exploit... Which we might not have.

Cozume

Jan 30, 2014
How do you block the OTA? I have a rooted VZ moto x with a locked bootloader.
Freeze MotorolaOTA and delete the OTA from your /cache folder. To freeze MotorolaOTA, you need an app that can do it. I went ahead and paid the $6.50 for Titanium B/U Pro, which can freeze and is a well regarded app. There are probably free ones you can use.

---------- Post added at 09:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 PM ----------

I got the Moto X a couple weeks ago for VZW. I'd like to root the Moto X, because..tether :D. Witht he 4.4.2 update around the corner, should I root now or wait? I don't on putting any custom ROMS on there, so I'd like the most updated Stock ROM. But I'm sure that's not rooted yet. Also, how hard is it to root the X? If it's that hard and easy to brick the phone, I may just hold off. Thanks guys.
Do you have a Dev Ed or did you get a Moto Maker/retail Moto X? Totally different processes depending on which you have.

---------- Post added at 09:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 PM ----------

Thanks. Is this easy to brick in the root process?
Not if you have the Verizon Dev Ed.

blueice5249

Jun 29, 2010
Freeze MotorolaOTA and delete the OTA from your /cache folder. To freeze MotorolaOTA, you need an app that can do it. I went ahead and paid the $6.50 for Titanium B/U Pro, which can freeze and is a well regarded app. There are probably free ones you can use.

---------- Post added at 09:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 PM ----------

Do you have a Dev Ed or did you get a Moto Maker/retail Moto X? Totally different processes depending on which you have.

---------- Post added at 09:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 PM ----------

Not if you have the Verizon Dev Ed.

I do not have the Dev Ed.

Cozume

Jan 30, 2014
Wow. That looks really involved and easy to screw up. :eek: Perhaps I may stay away for now.

Is there anyway to tether without root?
No there is no way to WiFi tether for free if you have unlimited data or a capped data plan without root. You can USB and Bluetooth tether using PDAnet if you run Kit Kat 4.4 and are unrooted. Or if you have a Verizon Share Everything plan you WiFi tether for free.

I am going to root a locked bootloader Moto X here soon and post Step-By-Step Instructions after I do. Don't take the 4.4.2 update if you want root.

blueice5249

Jun 29, 2010
No there is no way to WiFi tether for free if you have unlimited data or a capped data plan without root. You can USB and Bluetooth tether using PDAnet if you run Kit Kat 4.4 and are unrooted. Or if you have a Verizon Share Everything plan you WiFi tether for free.

I am going to root a locked bootloader Moto X here soon and post Step-By-Step Instructions after I do. Don't take the 4.4.2 update if you want root.

Thanks, it doesn't need to be WiFi, I'm fine with USB tether.

Is there anything besides PDAnet? I heard you have to pay for that, or reconnect all the time.

I'm definitely going to hold off on the update and hope for a bit easier root method. I'm not too good at the adb thing.

Cozume

Jan 30, 2014
Is there anything besides PDAnet? I heard you have to pay for that, or reconnect all the time.
There probably is, but I use PDAnet and you are correct, you have to pay or reconnect all of the time.

I'm definitely going to hold off on the update and hope for a bit easier root method. I'm not too good at the adb thing.
There won't be an easier method as jcase isn't going to do one for 4.4.2 and Motorola has with each new update tried to close the hacks that jcase has found.

You either root on 4.4 using Slap My Moto or stay unrooted. After you root on 4.4, you can keep the 4.4 bootloader and selectively upgrade the system to 4.4.2. But there are people on the Verizon 4.4.2 thread claiming they took the OTA and kept root and kept write protection disabled. Others on other carriers said otherwise.

Reactions: blueice5249

blueice5249

Jun 29, 2010
There probably is, but I use PDAnet and you are correct, you have to pay or reconnect all of the time.

There won't be an easier method as jcase isn't going to do one for 4.4.2 and Motorola has with each new update tried to close the hacks that jcase has found.

You either root on 4.4 using Slap My Moto or stay unrooted. After you root on 4.4, you can keep the 4.4 bootloader and selectively upgrade the system to 4.4.2. But there are people on the Verizon 4.4.2 thread claiming they took the OTA and kept root and kept write protection disabled. Others on other carriers said otherwise.

Darn and Darn.

I think I'll hold off for now and maybe hope your step by step is easier to follow. Thanks for the help man! :good:

If anyone else knows of a free tether method let me know.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.