Dual-boot of Sammy and AOSP is working!

Search This thread

RichMD

Jan 8, 2011
CT
Been a while since we heard anything - how are things progressing? Any chance we will have a dual boot soon? Not looking for an ETA - just touching base to see if work has progressed at the speed you originally thought it would?

Yesterday I flashed his kernel that he compiled on Thursday. He wanted to start with a stable base before working on dual-boot since he hasn't worked on this device before. I am running it on JediXP12 and I haven't seen any difference from when I was using the Sabre kernel 16 which is great. I posted in the Verizon thread about this and DerTeufel1980 responded to a question that when he gets the recovery, etc working it will only work with SamSung ROMs (for now). AOSP and TW will take time.

btpd21

May 23, 2011
New York
Re: Device obtained on 3/7 - Dual-boot kernel work has begun

Yesterday I flashed his kernel that he compiled on Thursday. He wanted to start with a stable base before working on dual-boot since he hasn't worked on this device before. I am running it on JediXP12 and I haven't seen any difference from when I was using the Sabre kernel 16 which is great. I posted in the Verizon thread about this and DerTeufel1980 responded to a question that when he gets the recovery, etc working it will only work with SamSung ROMs (for now). AOSP and TW will take time.

Please keep us posted if there are any more updates!

Sent from my GT-N7105 using xda premium

prepaidguy9081

Oct 16, 2012
Pensacola
Thank-you so much for working on this.

I have the t mobile version and would love to see this as an alternitive to use isis.

Till this kernel is ready to dual-boot, I will be working on some other options to get isis+root working

my knowledge is limited but I learn more every day.

Since you are working on the ATT version of this phone, will it run straight up on the t mobile variant? or will some porting be necessary?

Sent from my SGH-T889 using tapatalk

DerTeufel1980

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 31, 2011
AW: Device obtained on 3/7 - Dual-boot kernel work has begun

Thank-you so much for working on this.

I have the t mobile version and would love to see this as an alternitive to use isis.

Till this kernel is ready to dual-boot, I will be working on some other options to get isis+root working

my knowledge is limited but I learn more every day.

Since you are working on the ATT version of this phone, will it run straight up on the t mobile variant? or will some porting be necessary?

Sent from my SGH-T889 using tapatalk

I am working on n7105, which uses the same kernel as tmo and att

Gesendet von meinem GT-N7105 mit Tapatalk 2

Steams02

Oct 28, 2010
Dual boot?! This will be awesome when it is working, especially if we can do TW and AOSP roms. Keep up the good work.

mocsab

Aug 16, 2011
West Milwaukee
www.shimmeringglass.com
RIch mentioned that it will (quote) only work with Samsung ROMS and that AOSP and TW will take some time. (End Quote)

I am a little confused - what is the difference between TW and Samsung? I thought TW WAS Samsung ?

Am I mistaken?

Sheolrock

Nov 21, 2011

RIch mentioned that it will (quote) only work with Samsung ROMS and that AOSP and TW will take some time. (End Quote)

I am a little confused - what is the difference between TW and Samsung? I thought TW WAS Samsung ?

Am I mistaken?

TW is Samsung. He meant that a dual boot kernel that could handle TW and AOSP at the same time will take time.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

RichMD

Jan 8, 2011
CT
TW is Samsung. He meant that a dual boot kernel that could handle TW and AOSP at the same time will take time.

Correct. That was based on what DerTeufel said but it certainly makes sense. Just getting dual boot with two SamSung ROMs on our device has been more challenging than on the Galaxy S line but he is still working on it.

DerTeufel1980

Jul 31, 2011

I'd be glad to help ;)

Did you take a look into the note2/s3 development section already?
I have to work/help friends today. Maybe we could talk tomorrow? In which time zone do you live? I am gmt +1

RichMD

Jan 8, 2011
CT

Old Man Dave

Mar 4, 2013
Winnipeg

I'd just like to confirm...
The goal is that this will boot both aosp and tw roms? I know I'm new but I thought the kernels were TOTALLY different and wouldn't play nice with each other.

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

DerTeufel1980

Jul 31, 2011

I'd just like to confirm...
The goal is that this will boot both aosp and tw roms? I know I'm new but I thought the kernels were TOTALLY different and wouldn't play nice with each other.

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Yes, in the end, this is the goal. At first I want to get 2 different roms of the same type.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9000 mit Tapatalk 2

the2rrell

Jun 27, 2011
i would def be interested if you could get asop and Sammy up and running, i would def donate at that point. Good luck with this man. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: DerTeufel1980
Brother Der Teufel !! Thank you so much for pioneering this !! you are sooo awesome !!! i will paypal you $100 if for dual boot tw and ubuntu. :laugh::victory::D .. is that even possible? im probably crazy.
$100 from me gauranteed if this dreams comes true. :victory::highfive::angel::laugh:

DerTeufel1980

Jul 31, 2011
Brother Der Teufel !! Thank you so much for pioneering this !! you are sooo awesome !!! i will paypal you $100 if for dual boot tw and ubuntu. :laugh::victory::D .. is that even possible? im probably crazy.
$100 from me gauranteed if this dreams comes true. :victory::highfive::angel::laugh:

Possible, yes. But that's two steps ahead

Reactions: travperk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    FYI - DerTeufel1980 had a solid kernel working fairly quickly and has since worked on the recovery mods to allow installing two ROMs, etc. He has been working through a few items such as USB only working for charging, etc. He is making progress though. :)
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    DerTeufel1980 has a dual-boot kernel working for the Samsung Galaxy line (Captivate, etc). With our help, he has been able to purchase a Note II to work on and I have been updating this thread with donation promises.
    The post is below. You can look at his stats (a recognized developer with close to 13,000 thanks) and know that he can be trusted. Just to have him working on the Note II will be a great addition. I started the thread on the AT&T forum and then added it in the N7100/N7105 forum when I realized he lives in Germany. He and I have committed a fair amount of $ to make this happen so if you feel inclined to help out then it would be appreciated.
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=38121246&postcount=27

$200 loan for now. - RichMD
    $25 - ceo.mtcl
    PAID - $10 - rayandreas
    PAID - $50 - mocsab
    >=$10 - trism@jtype.net
    PAID - $29 - btpd21
    PAID - $25 - Jamice4u
    PAID - $10 - Shinkinrui
    PAID - $5 - muqali
    PAID - $10 - rlee008
    $5 - kingP1n
    $5 - deviusdragger
    $5 - lovekeiiy
    PAID - $15 CDKJudoka
    PAID - $5 ristiisa
    PAID - $10 Grant Barker
    ** After the kernel is working - $100 - PhxDroid86
    ** After the kernel is working - $20 - Markor13
    ** After the kernel is working - $15 - trevor7428
    ** After the kernel is working - $30 - kashortiexda

Update 5/25 - DerTeufel1980 has spent a while perfecting a universal kernel that works on AOSP and Sammy ROMs. The thread is here > http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2239453
    He had to work out some bugs that prevented troubleshooting the dual-boot problem. However, he recently returned to the dual-boot problem and has solved it. He has been able to dual-boot with AOSP as primary, Sammy as secondary and vice-versa. He is still fixing some recovery issues, etc but is hopeful that the release will be available tomorrow. This turned out to be much more challenging than other phones but that is probably why nobody else has accomplished it until he had a device to work on... :p
    OP Updated

Update 5/25 - DerTeufel1980 has spent a while perfecting a universal kernel that works on AOSP and Sammy ROMs. The thread is here > http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2239453
    He had to work out some bugs that prevented troubleshooting the dual-boot problem. However, he recently returned to the dual-boot problem and has solved it. He has been able to dual-boot with AOSP as primary, Sammy as secondary and vice-versa. He is still fixing some recovery issues, etc but is hopeful that the release will be available tomorrow. This turned out to be much more challenging than other phones but that is probably why nobody else has accomplished it until he had a device to work on... :D

I'd be glad to help ;)

Please try this kernel. It's not dualboot yet, but it works on aosp as well as sammy roms.

http://www.mediafire.com/?0x183pzim3w9tl4

Please use trickster mod for setting up all the options.

Re: Dual-boot donation thread - Currently $50

Thank you very much for your effort. It's highly appreciated :)
    I don't know much about the note 2 yet.
    I know, it's similar to the S3 devices. Are there also different versions, like at&t or international? If so, are there big differences?

Edit: lol. I just realised, that I am already writing in the at&t section. Ok, how about the differences? Are there kernels working for at&t as well as international?

Btw: if this thread really is going to get me the device, ill pay 100 € myself, as I was going to get a new device within the next few months (i preferred nexus 4).

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2