issues/improvements of update 4.3

Search This thread

Dark Sector

Mar 25, 2008
right now I'm downloading update 4.3 and I thought about making this thread to collect the openions of users and let the others know if it is worth downloading. so tell us what you think about your experience ?

S83rmMO.png

seyidaga

Dec 5, 2012
Baku, Azerbaijan
right now I'm downloading update 4.3 and I thought about making this thread to collect the openions of users and let the others know if it is worth downloading. so tell us what you think about your experience ?

S83rmMO.png

I had issues with NFC & Wi-fi Direct both of them are working well now and the battery and overall performance just got better

Sent from my HTC Butterfly s using xda app-developers app

Dark Sector

Mar 25, 2008
yeah I really think that it does provide an improved battery efficiency but I don't know about the performance aspect .

koniiiik

Jun 12, 2008
Göteborg
koniiiik.org
From what I've noticed, yes, it does improve performance and battery life significantly. Other bonus features I appreciate are support for lockscreen widgets and ability to customize quick settings.

I did experience a couple of unpleasant things after the update, though.

1. I use the last.fm app and the stock music player. After the upgrade, each time I switched to a home screen containing a music player widget, I got a message about the last.fm app crashing. This appears to have been solved by a reboot, it does not happen right now.
  2. After 20 days of uptime, something appears to have started on the phone which both made the lockscreen extremely laggy and it also drained power like mad. Even charging from a USB port took about twice as long as it usually does. Again, a reboot seems to have fixed this, but I'm curious how it will perform after a month of uptime – I'll report back here unless I forget.

seyidaga

Dec 5, 2012
Baku, Azerbaijan
From what I've noticed, yes, it does improve performance and battery life significantly. Other bonus features I appreciate are support for lockscreen widgets and ability to customize quick settings.

I did experience a couple of unpleasant things after the update, though.

1. I use the last.fm app and the stock music player. After the upgrade, each time I switched to a home screen containing a music player widget, I got a message about the last.fm app crashing. This appears to have been solved by a reboot, it does not happen right now.
  2. After 20 days of uptime, something appears to have started on the phone which both made the lockscreen extremely laggy and it also drained power like mad. Even charging from a USB port took about twice as long as it usually does. Again, a reboot seems to have fixed this, but I'm curious how it will perform after a month of uptime – I'll report back here unless I forget.

I get those errors too man. I too used last.fm for scrobbling, but it always crashes (force closes) the moment a song starts, which is kinda sad :( And yeah I experience the second problem too not frequently though. Also sometimes after my phone is charged to 100% it drains immediately to 92-93% the moment I plug it out. Have to keep it 20 minutes or a little bit more to prevent this happening

koniiiik

Jun 12, 2008
Göteborg
koniiiik.org
I get those errors too man. I too used last.fm for scrobbling, but it always crashes (force closes) the moment a song starts, which is kinda sad :(

I found out that the last.fm app doesn't have access to the com.htc.music/MediaPlaybackService intent – looks like the update restricted access to that interface or something. Maybe reinstalling the last.fm app would help, maybe last.fm needs to update it.

Also, looks like the issue affects other HTC phones with 4.3/5.5: http://www.last.fm/group/Last.fm+Android/forum/114391/_/2218309

By the way, I only use the last.fm app to see peoples' details in my contacts. For scrobbling, I've been using the simple last.fm scrobbler app since about forever, because I find it much more reliable at scrobbling than the official last.fm app. Also, it supports more players.

And yeah I experience the second problem too not frequently though. Also sometimes after my phone is charged to 100% it drains immediately to 92-93% the moment I plug it out. Have to keep it 20 minutes or a little bit more to prevent this happening

Yeah, the battery indicator seems to jump to 100% immediately after reaching 90%. Leaving it plugged in for a bit longer seems to work for me too. AFAIK, this is a common issue with a lot of Android kernels across various devices…

Last edited:

seyidaga

Dec 5, 2012
Baku, Azerbaijan
I found out that the last.fm app doesn't have access to the com.htc.music/MediaPlaybackService intent – looks like the update restricted access to that interface or something. Maybe reinstalling the last.fm app would help, maybe last.fm needs to update it.

Also, looks like the issue affects other HTC phones with 4.3/5.5: http://www.last.fm/group/Last.fm+Android/forum/114391/_/2218309

By the way, I only use the last.fm app to see peoples' details in my contacts. For scrobbling, I've been using the simple last.fm scrobbler app since about forever, because I find it much more reliable at scrobbling than the official last.fm app. Also, it supports more players.

Yeah, the battery indicator seems to jump to 100% immediately after reaching 90%. Leaving it plugged in for a bit longer seems to work for me too. AFAIK, this is a common issue with a lot of Android kernels across various devices…

Yeah I know I've seen some HTC users complain on Google Play too (comments section) guess the problem's with HTC Sense? My cousin's Nexus 4 never had problems like these with last.fm :/

Sent from my HTC Butterfly S using xda app-developers app

stealthenator2

Aug 15, 2012
The update has been excellent so far. After some time searching through the settings, I found out that there is a move apps to sd function. That's a welcome addition.

Sent from my HTC Butterfly S

koniiiik

Jun 12, 2008
Göteborg
koniiiik.org
Yeah I know I've seen some HTC users complain on Google Play too (comments section) guess the problem's with HTC Sense? My cousin's Nexus 4 never had problems like these with last.fm :/

Well, stock Android has the com.android.music app for music playback; HTC Sense has its own player, com.htc.music. AFAIK, they come with compatible interfaces, the last.fm app just doesn't get access to the Sense player while it does get access to the stock one.

seyidaga

Dec 5, 2012
Baku, Azerbaijan
Well, stock Android has the com.android.music app for music playback; HTC Sense has its own player, com.htc.music. AFAIK, they come with compatible interfaces, the last.fm app just doesn't get access to the Sense player while it does get access to the stock one.

Haaaa :eek: Now I understand :D Thanks :D

FYL21

Mar 18, 2013
The update has been excellent so far. After some time searching through the settings, I found out that there is a move apps to sd function. That's a welcome addition.

Where is this setting?

update nvm i found it

Also how is USB connection? Mine is such a mess after the update partly cuz I'm using Windows XP =/

lebmb

Apr 3, 2007
Washington, DC
For the most part only thing i dislike about 4.3 w sense 5.5 is the keyboard auto correct, if u type something in English letters but phonetically for anotger language or even say if you type something wrong and you hit space it will replace it with what it thinks you meant, if you hit backspace nothing happens where as before with all previous htc keyboards if you type something wrong and auto correct fixes it n you hit backspace it reverts back to what you originally typed and hitting space from there will save it to your dictionary and i loved that but now its gone. I tried putting back the keyboard apk from 4.2.2 and setting permission but no luck.

koniiiik

Jun 12, 2008
Göteborg
koniiiik.org
For the most part only thing i dislike about 4.3 w sense 5.5 is the keyboard auto correct, if u type something in English letters but phonetically for anotger language or even say if you type something wrong and you hit space it will replace it with what it thinks you meant, if you hit backspace nothing happens where as before with all previous htc keyboards if you type something wrong and auto correct fixes it n you hit backspace it reverts back to what you originally typed and hitting space from there will save it to your dictionary and i loved that but now its gone. I tried putting back the keyboard apk from 4.2.2 and setting permission but no luck.

Hmm, actually, the behavior you described didn't work for me even on 4.2.2, i.e. even before the update, hitting backspace after an autocorrect didn't undo its effects for me. I do remember though, that I really liked this feature on 2.x versions of Android with the then-current versions of Sense and I'm missing it as well…

By the way, speaking of the keyboard, does anyone else experience an issue where certain words that are obviously retained as part of my personal dictionary (like certain Slovak words without accents) that don't show up in the list of words when I choose to edit the dictionary? Case in point: some time ago I used to write SMS messages in Slovak without diacritics and a lot of words got into my dict that way. I've switched to diacritics-enabled messages since, because why not and because a lot of words with diacritics are already part of the built-in dictionary. However, I can't completely remove all the words without accents from my personal dictionary because they just don't appear in the list.

lebmb

Apr 3, 2007
Washington, DC
Hmm, actually, the behavior you described didn't work for me even on 4.2.2, i.e. even before the update, hitting backspace after an autocorrect didn't undo its effects for me. I do remember though, that I really liked this feature on 2.x versions of Android with the then-current versions of Sense and I'm missing it as well…

By the way, speaking of the keyboard, does anyone else experience an issue where certain words that are obviously retained as part of my personal dictionary (like certain Slovak words without accents) that don't show up in the list of words when I choose to edit the dictionary? Case in point: some time ago I used to write SMS messages in Slovak without diacritics and a lot of words got into my dict that way. I've switched to diacritics-enabled messages since, because why not and because a lot of words with diacritics are already part of the built-in dictionary. However, I can't completely remove all the words without accents from my personal dictionary because they just don't appear in the list.

It worked on NOS rom, same thing on DNA and One, as far as ur other issue yeah it happens too

stealthenator2

Aug 15, 2012
There is an annoyance that whenever I take a portrait picture, the gallery ends up showing it landscape.

stealthenator2

Aug 15, 2012
As you can see half of the screen shows that it's black. I think the keyboard has something to do with it. Also, the keyboard feels more unresponsive now.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1389508948844.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1389508948844.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 73

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Never crashes before and after update for me.

How is the audio in 4.3?

Someone in a Russian forum wrote, that the 4.3 update also included some audio-related modifications: He said that after the update, the max volume and level of bass became lower. (I don't know if he made this observation with Beats Audio ON or OFF.)

Have any of you experienced this?

---------- Post added at 04:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:45 PM ----------

Speaking of audio, has the HTC Music "Menu icon bug" been fixed by the update?

What I mean is whenever I and tap the menu icon (3 vertical dots) in the "Song view" of the stock music player, the player always crashes immediately. Does it still happen, after the update?

Screenshot_2014-01-12-15-49-10_res.png

Screenshot_2014-01-12-15-49-20_res.png

HTC Music app Song view
    Crash

There is a crackling/popping issue that affects some units like mine if I use in-ear headphones and listen to music above volume 11/15 :( After the update it is almost gone but some small popping is still noticeable on some headphones above 11/15 (14/15 is fine on over-ear headphones with high impedance). Using PowerAMP improves it more (I get little/no distortion at 13/15 volume), but I notice occasional clicking in PowerAMP and other third-party music players. I think HTC's stock player uses its own audio thread so it doesn't skip or click, but unfortunately it does not work with third-party equalizers.

Volume seems to me to be the same otherwise. However, as before if you unplug the phone while music plays or if music is being played out of the speakers, and then plug headphones back in, sometimes the volume is too loud - and there can be a lot of crackling. You need to do the same thing a few times to get it back to its "normal" volume.
    have you experienced this crackling before? (see that thread for details)
    Let's move this conversation to your dedicated thread.
    I am happy tell you about my experience, but people may consider it off-topic here, since I am still on 4.2.2.